Dvbworld 2004 PCI Dvb-s2 Diseqc support?

starman345

I've had this card for about a year or so now and have never been able to get it to switch my Spaun 411F Diseqc2.0 switch or move my 36v actuator with diseqc1.2 commands in any version of DVBViewer. I am currently using DVBViewer Pro Beta 4.0.1.30. I've had the same results with Altdvb and Progdvb, however it works fine with MyTheatre 4.0 beta 10.

I'm not sure what the chip is on the card, I suspect it is conexant. I loaded the newest driver today dated March 10/09 from the dvbworld site version 1.20, but still no success.

I would appreciate any suggestions you could offer to get this going. Thanks

I am using an ATI Radeon HD 3870 video card driver version 8.530.0.0

support.zip

Ok, let's try to make it work with TransEdit 3.3 (already installed according to your support.zip):

1) Launch TransEdit. Click Info -> Configuration Folder (opens an Explorer Window) and close TransEdit.

2) Open the file TransEdit.ini from the configuration folder with a text editor. Change the line "Vendor.0=0" in the [Hardware] section to "Vendor.0=14". Save it. (Required because TransEdit 3.3 contains DiSEqC support for DVBWorld devices, but it looks for the sub-string "DVB World", not "DVBWorld").

3) Launch TransEdit. Set up DiSEqC. Follow the instructions given in the manual. Try to scan. Report your finding here.

If we can make DiSEqC work with TransEdit, chances are that it will work with the next DVBViewer Pro Beta.

Thanks for your reply.

I made the change in Transedit.ini and saved with notepad. Before this change, transedit would scan only dvb-s channels, now with the change it will scan dvb-s2 channels as well, so things have changed. The positioner console option is still grayed out, not available, same as before the change to transedit.ini.

The positioner console option is still grayed out, not available

Strange. When I use your TransEdit.ini (from your support.zip) and set Vendor.0=14, the positioner menu item is enabled.

Did you perform Settings -> Hardware -> Detect Devices? That would reset the vendor value to 0. Please check TransEdit.ini again.

You are correct, vendor value was re-set too 0, I didn't realize that was happening when I used detect devices in Transedit. Setting Vendor.0=14 in transedit.ini now gives me access to the Positioner console. In the console the device is recognized as DVBWorld PCI BDA DVB-S Tuner(1), which is correct.

If I enter a position number in the position box within the console, then click "go to preset", nothing happens, I entered 5 in the "steps box" and pressed drive west, then drive east but no response, so it seems not to be addressing my Gbox positioner.

I have a c/ku band voltage controlled lnbf on my dish and use my Spaun 4x1 diseqc2.0 switch to switch between c band and ku band. It works fine with a set top box. Transedit will not switch the Spaun.

In the Diseqc box in Transedit, I have selected "extended" and have inserted a switch(port 1 A/A for c band satellites, port 2 B/A for ku band satellites), a delay of 100ms, and a positioner with the appropriate position number for each satellite and have pressed apply when finished with each satelllite entry.

I have played around with the hardware settings, ticking the use standard interface box then trying each of the selections in the drop down box but none seem to make any difference, the device still won't move the positioner or switch the Spaun switch.

Is there anything else I might try?

Seems the device doesn't send DiSEqC commands. Unfortunately there are a lot of of possible reasons...

Please try the attached TransEdit version (a limited demo version just for testing purpose, some things like the Analyzer and export functions won't work). You should hear a message beep if (from the application's point of view) a DiSEqC command has been sent successfully to the DVBWorld device. If you don't hear it, something's wrong with the vendor specific DiSEqC interface or how TransEdit uses it.

What about your Dvbworld 2104 USB-S2 Box? Does it work?

Edited by Griga
attachment removed

I tried the transedit test version but no success, no beeps or responses of any kind with the 2004 PCI Dvbworld device. My Dvbworld 2104 USB device does not give me diseqc control with current drivers only with an older driver, meant for windows 2000 systems but seems to work on my XP system. Of the 4 or 5 driver updates Dvbworld has released this past year it is the only one that allows me diseqc control in DVBViewer. Both the 2104 USB and the 2004 PCI work fine with full diseqc control with MyTheatre. I've sent a link to this thread to the support person who writes the drivers for the Dvbworld devices. He's asked for input before so maybe he can offer some insight from his side of things.

I appreciate your time and attention

It would be good to have a more detailed documentation about the DVBWorld DiSEqC interface and the differences between devices and driver versions.

What TransEdit does is based on the Conexant reference driver (as I was told). Maybe it just requires a different GUID for accessing the tuner filter's property set, a different alignment of the DiSEqC data structure, dunno...

Ok, another attempt, another TransEdit demo version attached, again with a message beep in case of success.

I got hold of a PDF looking like original documentation from DVBWorld, no second hand stuff as before, suggesting a completely different way of proceeding, and I've implemented it. Now keep fingers crossed...

Edited by Griga
Attachment removed

Success with Transedit 3.3.0.2!

At least partially, Transedit will now switch my Spaun switch and move my positioner without problem, I have access to the position console and full control of it, and am able to select a transponder -scan selected and the dish will move to the correct satellite and scan that transponder, provided the scanning isn't finished before the dish arrives at its destination of course. I can scan dvb-s and dvb-s2 transponders without problem.

The only hitch and it is a small one is that once I close Transedit, and re-start it, I can't do any of the above. I have to go into settings-hardware, and repeatedly click detect devices and save, over and over, several times, then back to the positioner, and try to move the dish. After a few attempts, control returns and I can play with Transedit as long as I want until I shut it down then I have to go throught the process again.

I should mention, the card is always visible in settings-hardware, it looks like its detected but that doesn't seem to be the case. Also, even if I can't control the card with Transedit, I can always successfully scan channels on whatever satellite and band the system happens to be on.

Thank you for taking the time to search for the origional documentation PDF and making the necessary changes to Transedit to make it work with my 2004PCI. It is a joy to be able use Transedit to its full capability. :)

Now if I could just get the card to work with DVBViewer.

Edited by starman345
Also, even if I can't control the card with Transedit, I can always successfully scan channels on whatever satellite and band the system happens to be on.

Please clarify: What do you mean by "can't control the card with TransEdit"? Is it stuck on a particular frequency / transponder / frequency band (High/Low) / polarisation / satellite position? On the last used one?

the card is always visible in settings-hardware, it looks like its detected but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If you are able to receive data, no matter under which restrictions, the card is detected, initialized and used. Otherwise you would get an error message.

once I close Transedit, and re-start it, I can't do any of the above.

Seems something isn't released / closed down properly, or something still occupies the card. How do you close? TransEdit allocates and initializes the card when scanning starts or a DiSEqC command is sent from the positioner console. The card remains occupied as long as scanning is in progress or the positioner console is open (after a DiSEqC command has been sent). So when scanning is finished and the positioner console closed, the card should be completely released, and closing/restarting TransEdit afterwards shouldn't make any difference.

- Play a bit with different ways of releasing the device according to the information given above, in order to narrow the problem down.

- Does TransEdit still show up in the task manager after having been closed (because it hangs on exit)?

- Is there other software active that may access the card?

- Try to tick Settings -> Hardware -> Use internal Network Provider filter (only available if "Use standard interface" is unticked) and/or Stop stream while tuning. Does it change anything?

- Try to deactivate and re-activate the card in the device manager after TransEdit has been closed. Does it clean things up?

Please clarify: What do you mean by "can't control the card with TransEdit"? Is it stuck on a particular frequency / transponder / frequency band (High/Low) / polarisation / satellite position? On the last used one?
I mean, if I don't have diseqc control in Transedit, I can still scan the satellite the dish happens to be pointed at(the last one used), so yes, the card is active.

Seems something isn't released / closed down properly, or something still occupies the card. How do you close? TransEdit allocates and initializes the card when scanning starts or a DiSEqC command is sent from the positioner console. The card remains occupied as long as scanning is in progress or the positioner console is open (after a DiSEqC command has been sent). So when scanning is finished and the positioner console closed, the card should be completely released, and closing/restarting TransEdit afterwards shouldn't make any difference

I close Transedit with file-exit most of the time, but have tried with the X at the upper right corner. I have also used "end process" of Transedit from within task manager, then restarted Transedit but no difference, still no diseqc control.

Does TransEdit still show up in the task manager after having been closed (because it hangs on exit)?

Transedit shows up in task manager as it should when its running, upon shutdown of the program(file-exit) it disappears quickly in task manager, it seems to exit properly and does not hang.

- Is there other software active that may access the card?

I"ve removed the Dvbworld software, it has a theatremanager.exe program that runs in task manager all the time, after removal and re-boot, no difference. I noticed the 2004 pci card was sharing an irq with my onboard network device so I moved the 2004 to another slot and Windows assigned it another irq, not shared now, still no difference. I dis-abled my network device in device manager, but no difference.

- Try to tick Settings -> Hardware -> Use internal Network Provider filter (only available if "Use standard interface" is unticked) and/or Stop stream while tuning. Does it change anything?
Yes, I have played extensively with these settings and I can't see that they make any difference. Diseqc control seems to be enabled randomly, I can't put my finger on what it is that I am doing to make it work.
- Try to deactivate and re-activate the card in the device manager after TransEdit has been closed. Does it clean things up?

I"ve done this, but on re-starting Transedit, still no diseqc control.

I can start Mytheatre anytime and everything works fine, switch,and positioner. Something I did notice while playing around is if I start mytheatre, tune a channel, then start Transedit, I have diseqc control, it works without exception, every time. Upon shutting down MyTheatre, I still have diseqc control with Transedit...until I shut it down and re-start, then its gone again.

Not sure if its important or not but I did notice there have been two 2004 pci model cards, the origional was the 2004pci, the successor was 2004C PCI, I have the C version although since the origional is no longer made I think even Dvbworld has called this just the 2004 model. This is a copy/paste from the Dvbworld site:

DVBWorld DVB-S2 PCI2004C model is very like DVB-S2 PCI2004 model, the tuner is SP2633, RF Tuner is CX24118A,Demodulator is CX24116,so it is integrated DVB-S2 Tuner solution of Conexant.

I'm just wondering if there is seperate, different documentation for these two different cards? I inquired to Dvbworld before buying the 2004C what the difference was with the 2004, they replied they could no longer source the chips, tuner so had changed the version to 2004C with a new(conexant) chip, tuner.

Edited by Lars_MQ
remove the outer qoute
if I don't have diseqc control in Transedit, I can still scan the satellite the dish happens to be pointed at(the last one used), so yes, the card is active.

So everything works, including high/low band and polarisation changes within this satellite position, except DiSEqC, right? What about the message beep? Is it audible on sending DiSEqC commands in the working / non working state?

Something I'd expect: Releasing the device completely in TransEdit (scanning finished, positioner console closed) should have the same (negative) effect as closing TransEdit, which means, DiSEqC not working on the next attempt. There should be no difference between breaking the connection to the card while TransEdit is running and closing/restarting the app. Or does it make a difference?

if I start mytheatre, tune a channel, then start Transedit, I have diseqc control

When releasing the device, TransEdit somehow seems to leave the card in a state preventing further DiSEqC commands, but I can't imagine how and why... and MyTheatre seems to restore the "normal" state.

Remote analysis of such a problem is difficult and requires a lot of patience, trying this and that... anyway, I'll think about it, and I'll probably upload a new TransEdit version tonight. Sooner or later we'll get it working...

So everything works, including high/low band and polarisation changes within this satellite position, except DiSEqC, right? What about the message beep? Is it audible on sending DiSEqC commands in the working / non working state?

Yes, everything seems to work, I can scan both H and V transponders but no DisEqC to enable me to change the Spaun switch from port 1 to port 2 (C band to ku-band).

I have never heard any beep from the Transedit program at any time. I do have audio turned on.

Something I'd expect: Releasing the device completely in TransEdit (scanning finished, positioner console closed) should have the same (negative) effect as closing TransEdit, which means, DiSEqC not working on the next attempt. There should be no difference between breaking the connection to the card while TransEdit is running and closing/restarting the app. Or does it make a difference?

Something I've discovered:

I start Mytheatre, tune a channel, start Transedit, open positioner console- everything works in the console as it should, I can move around to other preset satellite positions, step move, close positioner console, scan a transponder, open positioner console again and everything in there still works....BUT

If I shut down Mytheatre with the Transedit positioner console open then everything continues to work, but as soon as I shut down the positioner console and open it again, nothing in the console works. Scanning still works but of course I dont' have DisEqC at this point so I can only scan the last used satellite. What I'm saying here is I thought it was shutting down and re-starting Transedit that was killing DisEqC but it is also happening when I close and re-start the positioner console(without MyTheatre running).

Remote analysis of such a problem is difficult and requires a lot of patience, trying this and that... anyway, I'll think about it, and I'll probably upload a new TransEdit version tonight. Sooner or later we'll get it working...

I have put in about 8 hours with this card this weekend. At least now I can use Transedit in a round about way thanks to your help!

Edited by starman345
I have never heard any beep from the Transedit program at any time.

Which means, the driver reports failure on each DiSEqC command, so it never worked, even if it seemed so, and you can forget it altogether :)

Ok, I'll try to be a bit more serious... your findings and my experience with other cards lead to the following theory, that would explain everything: The initial state of the card is LNB power switched on. However, when it is released, it switches LNB power off and doesn't switch it on again until next tuning takes place (resp. setting the LNB voltage according to the polarisation).

But the positioner console never performs tuning. It just sends DiSEqC commands, nothing else. And the scanner sends the DiSEqC command *before* actually tuning the first transponder. It is self-evident that DiSEqC can't work without LNB power, but if you let MyTheatre perform tuning... well, there you are. :lbounce:

You can try to verify this by using a multimeter (if you have one), but if you do, be careful... don't short-circuit your card.

This would resemble the behaviour of TechnoTrend cards, with one big difference: TechnoTrend provides means to set the LNB power together with a DiSEqC command, but DVBWorld doesn't. So what can we do? Maybe some dummy tuning right after initializing the card... let't try it with another test version. Attached.

I have put in about 8 hours with this card this weekend.

I know this. I've already spent hundreds of hours with reluctant and badly documented DVB device drivers, I guess... well, some people like to solve crossword puzzles in their spare time, others like to reveal the secrets of device drivers...

Edited by Griga
Attachment removed

3.3.0.3 works! :)

It works only if I tick "use standard interface" in settings-hardware. I tried each of the selections in the drop down box under tuning space and they all worked, not sure if they make any difference in these test versions?

I have given the card a good workout, it does everything now, same as MyTheatre. To make sure I didn't miss something, I loaded each of the three test versions again and only 3.3.0.3 works.

Initial tuning is very slow in the positioner console. It takes 12-13 seconds after clicking drive east or drive west before the positioner reacts to the command, after the first command is executed, subsequent commands are executed nearly instantaneously in the positioner console. A small thing to live with, I'm not complaining. It is about the same as the tuning time in MyTheatre with the same card.

Thanks for your time and patience, you've certainly gone the extra mile here to help me and I appreciate it very much.

Initial tuning is very slow in the positioner console. It takes 12-13 seconds after clicking drive east or drive west.

It is about the same as the tuning time in MyTheatre with the same card.

Really? :) But only on initial tuning, I hope. That's the result of tuning unsuccessfully, I guess. The driver waits for a tuner lock that never happens. So let's summarise:

- Sending an initial DiSEqC command requires switching the LNB power on, but the driver is not intelligent enough to perform it automatically if required.

- As a consequence, tuning must be performed before a DiSEqC command is sent, but successful tuning requires sending a DiSEqC command beforehand.

Well, that's not the first absurd driver design that I've encountered... in this way DVBWorld won't get a place on my list of recommendable DVB-S/S2 devices.

It works only if I tick "use standard interface" in settings-hardware.

That's bad, and I can't leave it like that. Maybe due to the fact that the BDA filtergraph is not in running state yet when the initial (dummy) tuning for the positioner console takes place. Please try the next attached test version with a slightly different approach:

- The "normal" ínitial tuning (e.g. for the scanner or preview function) is simply performed twice. The first attempt should switch the LNB power on and the second one (hopefully) send the DiSEqC command successfully. This will make the implementation in DVBViewer much easier than dummy tuning after initialisation, so it is important to check that it works.

- If the device is allocated by the positioner console, TransEdit first runs the BDA filtergraph, if "Stop stream while tuning" is unticked, and performs dummy tuning (11000 H, low band, SR 22000). So when you try again with "Use standard interface" off, make sure that "Stop stream while tuning" is unticked.

TransEdit_Test.zip

- The "normal" ínitial tuning (e.g. for the scanner or preview function) is simply performed twice. The first attempt should switch the LNB power on and the second one (hopefully) send the DiSEqC command successfully. This will make the implementation in DVBViewer much easier than dummy tuning after initialisation, so it is important to check that it works.

- If the device is allocated by the positioner console, TransEdit first runs the BDA filtergraph, if "Stop stream while tuning" is unticked, and performs dummy tuning (11000 H, low band, SR 22000). So when you try again with "Use standard interface" off, make sure that "Stop stream while tuning" is unticked.

Ok, with "stop stream while tuning", "use standard interface", and "use internal network provider filter" unticked, only DVB-S2 device ticked, it works. The initial command response time in the positioner console and in the scanning pane are the same as 3.3.0.3. everything works as with the last test version.

Unrelated:

I noticed a new Dvbworld Drivers SDK appeared on the Dvbworld web page this morning, dated 2009-03-16

Ok, with "stop stream while tuning", "use standard interface", and "use internal network provider filter" unticked, only DVB-S2 device ticked, it works.

Fine. I think that' all we can do ATM. The most efficient settings are "Stop stream while tuning" off, "Use standard interface" off (= "direct tuning" on in DVBViewer Pro) and "use internal network provider filter" on (automatically activated with "direct tuning" in DVBViewer Pro).

The next steps are:

- I'll upload a full (unrestricted) TransEdit version 3.3.0.4 for you to the beta section of the members area right now.

- I'll inform the DVBViewer Pro devs about the matter. Most likely it will be included in the next DVBViewer Pro Beta release.

I noticed a new Dvbworld Drivers SDK appeared on the Dvbworld web page this morning

Had a look at it... nothing new for me in there. Anyway, thanks for testing and helping to make DVBViewer better!

I"ve downloaded and installed the beta, it works fine, thank you.

Between insanity and understanding is often only a thin wall :)