1080i and interlacings...

antdude

Example of horizontal interlaced lines: http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6773/snap...90313011707.jpg

I only notice them on some channels/stations over the air (OTA) like on KNBC4, KCBS2, etc. I never see them on 720p. How do I get rid of these annoying horizontal lines? I am using DVBViewer v4.0.0.0 and CyberLink PowerDVD 7's decoder in an updated Windows XP Pro. SP3.

Thank you in advance. :)

I never see them on 720p.

Of course you don't, that's why it has the p for progressive and not the i for interlaced.

I am using DVBViewer v4.0.0.0 and CyberLink PowerDVD 7's decoder in an updated Windows XP Pro. SP3.

Which graphics card do you have? Best way is to use DXVA which uses the GPU's shaders to deinterlace.

Of course you don't, that's why it has the p for progressive and not the i for interlaced.

Which graphics card do you have? Best way is to use DXVA which uses the GPU's shaders to deinterlace.

I saw this problem in my former NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT KO video card and my current ATI Radeon 4870 HD video card.

Does PowerDVD 7's video decoder use DXVA? I do have a problem using DXVA because of recent ATI Catalyst drivers and reproducable blue screens in DVBViewer Pro v4 -- see http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=32151 for the details.

And I alreeady have ATI Catalyst Control Center to use automatic deinterlacing.

Edited by antdude

I have also an ATi here (HD3650) and it won't crash.

PowerDVD 7's decoder use DXVA if you have a pretty recent build, > 7.3.2911 or something.. You can verify that by pressing STRG (keep holding it down), go to View -> Filters -> CyberLink H.264, now you can release STRG again. Advanced properties should open, if profile is set to 'Bitstream' (not 'SW') then DXVA is used. If you do not even see a field profile or similar, your version of the decoder is too old.

Edited by CiNcH
I have also an ATi here (HD3650) and it won't crash.

PowerDVD 7's decoder use DXVA if you have a pretty recent build, > 7.3.2911 or something.. You can verify that by pressing STRG (keep holding it down), go to View -> Filters -> CyberLink H.264, now you can release STRG again. Advanced properties should open, if profile is set to 'Bitstream' (not 'SW') then DXVA is used. If you do not even see a field profile or similar, your version of the decoder is too old.

Stupid question: What is STRG? I couldn't find the extact build number in PowerDVD's about and info, but did find its powerdvd.exe as v7.0.3613.0.
Ou sorry, German keyboard, I meant the CTRL key, if you have an English keyboard at least :) .
Ah, OK. Yes, a standard PC104 English Dell keyboard.

I do not see H264. I do have CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7). Ctrl key didn't work for this. I gets its properties. No version information.

I do have CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7)

Then you are most likely not on a 1080i channel :) . Or do they use MPEG-2?

It shouldn't show a version, but whether DXVA is used (Bitstream) or not (SW). But your decoder is too old anyway. It most likely won't show you this information.

Edited by CiNcH
Then you are most likely not on a 1080i channel :) . Or do they use MPEG-2?

It shouldn't show a version, but whether DXVA is used (Bitstream) or not (SW). But your decoder is too old anyway. It most likely won't show you this information.

OK, I tried again on a 1080i channel (KNBC4.1). Same result. See http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5631/powerdvd7.jpg ...

All ATSC OTA uses MPEG-2.

How do I get the correct version? I don't see a v7.3 patch for non-OEM.

Edited by antdude

Hmmm, but at least for MPEG-2, DXVA should be working even with older version. In case of MPEG-2, Profile should be iDCT in case of DXVA being used. Which renderer do you use. Under XP, you must be using VMR or Overlay. So this is 30 fps also, I have absolutely no experience with such material.

Edited by CiNcH
Hmmm, but at least for MPEG-2, DXVA should be working even with older version. In case of MPEG-2, Profile should be iDCT in case of DXVA being used. Which renderer do you use. Under XP, you must be using VMR or Overlay. So this is 30 fps also, I have absolutely no experience with such material.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3725/dvbviewer4directx.gif shows what DirectX settings are. I use Overlay. VMR doesn't work well for me.

If you dont know it then you dont use it. You would see it in the Plugins menu. I have no idea what prevents DXVA from being used. Maybe you'll have to apply ATi reg tweaks.

Edited by CiNcH
If you dont know it then you dont use it. You would see it in the Plugins menu. I have no idea what prevents DXVA from being used. Maybe you'll have to apply ATi reg tweaks.
OK, I don't see that in my Plugins menu. I never used this area.

I might try upgrading PowerDVD later.

OK, I don't see that in my Plugins menu. I never used this area.

I might try upgrading PowerDVD later.

Nevermind. I can't. I thought I could upgrade v7.0 to v7.3. Bah.
You need at least 7.3 for DXVA. You could download the trial of PowerDVD 9 (uninstall 7 first), and just backup the filters folder from Program Files. Alternatively you could extract the MPEG2 and h.264 filters and register them using regsvr32 in Start >Run.

Thanks. I wonder if using newer PowerDVD version would fix my blue screen crashes as shown in http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=32151 ... However even without its PowerDVD video decoders, I still had crashes. I do use PowerDVD for DVDs, but would hate to pay again to upgrade. Ugh.

You need at least 7.3 for DXVA.

This is only true for H.264. VMR/Overlay and DXVA MPEG-2 iDCT should also work with PDVD 5 or something :blink: .

This is only true for H.264. VMR/Overlay and DXVA MPEG-2 iDCT should also work with PDVD 5 or something :blink: .
Ah, I only use MPEG-2 (MPG and TS) for DVBViewer Pro v4. I don't use its other features.