Receiving all channels in UK

Robin Bowes

Hi,

I'm a fairly long-time DVBViewer user - overall I'm very happy with it.

However, I've always struggled with getting it to tune in to all DVB-T (Freeview channels) here in the UK.

I've just done a clean XP install on my laptop and installed DVBViewer 4.0 and I'd really like to bottom out the this issue so I can receive all available channels.

I have a couple of other set-top boxes running off the same aerial and they all pick up *all* channels. My DVB-T stick can also receive all channels when I use it with Kaffeine under Linux. However, when I do a scan in DVBViewer I don't see all available channels. In particular, I don't see 5 or Film 4.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

R.

support.zip

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I now have the following transponder list, which seems to be appropriate for my location:

[sATTYPE]
1=5000
2=Terrestrial (Tollerton)

[DVB]
0=12
1=474000,8
2=498166,8
3=522166,8
4=554000,8
5=578166,8
6=625833,8
7=642000,8
8=649833,8
9=673833,8
10=697833,8
11=705833,8
12=722166,8

How do I get DVBViewer to use these settings?

Thanks,

R.

Aha! Figured it out.

The transponder.ini files need to go in:

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\Transponders\

I put the above file in that directory and it appeared in the selection list in DVBViewer scan list and I now have all available channels!

I really think that this should be sorted out and supported out-of-the-box.

Would it be too much to ask to have an ini file with a list of UK Transponder frequencies?

R.

Well you got one for us, which does fit all needs? I have no problem including them in the next installer but somebody has to provide them. :blink:

Ha! How did I know you'd say that! :wub:

The thing is, that particular file is only good for the two transmitters that I am nearest - Bilsdale and Emley Moor.

I'm sure it would be possible to put together a list of all frequencies for all UK transmitters, but I'm not sure I'm the best person to do it. I can give it a go.

Personally, I think DVBViewer should scan the centre frequencies *and* +/- 166Khz either side (or whatever the value is). Most of the other software I've used does this.

R.

Does DVB-T in the UK use frequencies in the VHF range (below 474 MHz)? Without them it would be easier to provide a solution.

I don't believe so but, as I inferred earlier, I'm not the best person to give a definitive answer.

The lowest channel seems to be on 474Mhz (see here).

I dare say you won't go far wrong if you use centre freqencies (Fc) from 474Mhz to 850Mhz 8Mhz steps and scan Fc-166Khz, Fc, and Fc+166Khz.

R.

Ok, here is a general solution for scanning DVB-T UK. Designed for the blind scan capabilities of TransEdit. Please note: In its initial state the attached transponder list is not usable for scanning with DVBViewer.

1) Download TransEdit 3.3 from the members area. Please follow the installation instructions.

2) Launch TransEdit. Select Info -> Configuration Folder (opens an Explorer Window). Close TransEdit. Store the attached file Terrestrial_UK.ini in the Transponders subfolder of the Configuration Folder.

3) Re-launch TransEdit. Select "Terrestrial (UK)" on the left side of the main window. Initially this transponder list is empty, but it contains presets for the TransEdit Blind Scanner.

4) Click "Blind Scan" and, without changing anything in the Blind Scan Window, "Scan". The TransEdit Blind Scanner will now scan the centre freqencies from 474 Mhz to 858 Mhz with 8Mhz steps, after that the same frequency range with a +167 KHz offset, then with a -167 khz offset. Altogether 147 frequencies. It will take some time.

5) After the blind scan is finished, the Terrestrial (UK) transponder list will contain all frequencies resp. transponders of your region that deliver a signal. Save the transponder list by clicking "Save" on the left side of the TransEdit Main Window. It can be used now in DVBViewer.

6) Select the scan results in the TransEdit Scanner Window (-> Select All) and export them to the DVBViewer channellist by clicking "Add/Update".

Done!

Terrestrial_UK.ini

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Griga, that is really helpful.

This is how I did mine. Coming from Nebula I knew nothing about offsets.

First point was Ofcom to get my channel numbers for the UK DVBT muxes.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/reception_a.../index.asp.html

I then used the following formula to convert from UHF channel number to MHz.

Frequency = 8n+306 where n=UHF channel.

For Oxford I get the following:

29 - 538MHz

34 - 578MHz

48 - 690MHz

51 - 714MHz

52 - 722MHz

68 - 850MHz

The offset is listed as 0, - or +. Add or subtract 166.67kHz (0.16667MHz)

29 - 538000kHz

34 - 578000kHz

48 - 690000kHz

51 - 713833kHz

52 - 721833kHz

68 - 850000kHz

Edited Europe.ini in Application Data and pointed DVBViewer at that file when tuning. Worked a charm.

Edited by Mr Jolly
  • 4 months later...

My local analogue terrestrial relay switches of BBC Two on Channel 46 on Wednesday and full switch off is due at the end of the month.

It will be using these three UK UHF frequencies

C43

C46

C50

Is there anyone able to help me create an ini just for these three save me doing a long blind scan?

Cheers

It might be as quick to do "Scan Frequency" instead of "Scan Range" since you know the three channels involved. Just use the up/down buttons to select the channels.