SkyStar 1 CI

raas

Hi All,

Since yesterday I've became an owner of the DVBViewer program.

So I'm a new user to this forum and would first like to introduce myself:

My name is Mark, I'm from The Netherlands, working over 10 years as a software engineer now (M$) and have great affection with electronics and computers.

Since one-and-a-half month now I'm experimenting with DVB reception over Satellite as my available Cable Provider is taking of more and more analogue channels from the cable, pushing their own digital techniques. In The Netherlands most (and also my) cable providers do not follow the complete DVB standards, leaving the digital signal useless for pc. I need a tv-signal in my computer(s) because in some rooms, I have no tv, only a pc, and I'm having a htpc since 2003 on which I record (analogue) tv stations. Before all analogue channels dissappear on the cable I have to jump in on DVB-S (As my cable provider doesn't want me to use the digital signal in my computer(s). So I'm very happy to jump over to DVB-S, as I discovered this is the most versatile type of TV-reception, and they do (fully) follow DVB standards.

I want to use this program with my SkyStar 1 CI (purchased this one used, but works 100%).

Having read the features list of DVBViewer, it seems that this card is supported, but when I'm reading the forums I get confused.

It seems that there are 2 SkyStar 1 types available. (one with hardware mpeg decoding, the other without???)

Well, I have a SkyStar 1 CI which has an onboard slot for a Common Interface, which has a MediaGuard CAM inserted, in that CAM is a smartcard from my pay-tv provider (CanalDigitaal, The Netherlands)

From what I've found on the internet is that this card is the same as a TwinHan VP-1030C

And from what I think it is supported, but I don't know for sure.

Please tell me if this card is supported in DVBViewer.

I've installed the DVBViewer software on my Windows Home Server OS (Basically MS SBS 2003), but DVBViewer does not see the card, as Mytheatre and dvbdream do see the card and are able to use it, very crisp image and sound

I can't whip-up the output of the supporttool right now, because I'm not at home right now, will do that tonight if it is needed for this question though.

I just wanted to make sure this card is supported before I spend time on something that is already done.

Many thanks in advance,

Raas

(PS1, I think my card supports hardware mpeg2 decoding, because mytheatre lets me select this option through the cyberlink video configuration, however, I don't see this in cpu-usage)

(PS2, Under Windows Home Server I had to install the driver from the *.INF file, because the (crappy) skystar setup gave me a BSOD in WHS)

(PS3, I have a multiboot system, if WHS is not 'officially' supported by DVBViewer I can use winxpSP3, investigate there and port to WHS and make tutorial for this)

Edited by raas

..afaik this card is not supported by the DVBViewer. Full featured cards with hardware mpeg decoder don't have access to the transmitted transport stream (TS). It seems you only dare to make small steps from analog to digital :) Full featured cards are outdated.

..afaik this card is not supported by the DVBViewer. Full featured cards with hardware mpeg decoder don't have access to the transmitted transport stream (TS). It seems you only dare to make small steps from analog to digital :) Full featured cards are outdated.

Hello Derrick, Thank you for your reply, but what about user:visuel in this thread, Seems to me that he has the same card (with CI and CAM) as me

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=17587 and he has it working?

I based my purchase on the follow page, clearly stating that the SkyStar 1 CI is supported.

http://www.DVBViewer.com/en/index.php?page=features

Thanks again,

You have to decide:

You have a

- Skystar 1 with hardware mpeg decoding, with no BDA driver support and no DVBViewer support. This one does indeed have a CI but NOT in the name. (It should look like this). It has a audio out and a cinch video out. CI is seperate and connected via cable.

or

- Skystar 1 CI which is indeed a labeled twinhan card, has a BDA driver and is supported by the DVBViewer. (looks like this) With the CI directly on the card.

You have to decide:

You have a

- Skystar 1 with hardware mpeg decoding, with no BDA driver support and no DVBViewer support. This one does indeed have a CI but NOT in the name. (It should look like this). It has a audio out and a cinch video out.

or

- Skystar 1 CI which is indeed a labeled twinhan card, has a BDA driver and is supported by the DVBViewer.

Hi Lars_MQ, thank you for your reply,

I do not have the card you mentioned in the first option, I have the card which is on this picture http://www.woden.com/assets/images/skystar1_CI.jpg

(i think I have the tuner rotated 90 degrees, but that's it, I believe it is also sold as visionplus)

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about which card I have, I hope this post is clear enough.

So, I'm holding my fingers crossed now, is this card (in the picture I posted in this message) supported?

Thanks Again,

yes this card is supported. You do use the BDA drivers for it, don't you?

Hello Lars_MQ, Thank you for your reply.

I'm not really sure, as I bought the card used, I didn't receive the original driver cd. So I have downloaded the drivers from the TechniSat website.

What I do know is, that the setup from Technisat caused a BSOD on my windows home server installation and didn't want to install the software/drivers.

The guy I bought the card from had experienced the same behaviour (don't know which OS) and suggested to install the drivers from the *.INF file (the 'have disk' thing in windows when you decide yourself on which driver to intall). Once I did that, a Skystar 1 CI Data, Skystar 1 CI Audio and Skystar 1 CI Video appeared in my device manager.

Can the supporttool tell me/you which type (BDA or other) drivers I use?, if so, I have to wait untill I get home tonight and extract the info from the system and post tonight.

If I don't have the correct drivers, can you suggest me some better drivers (maybe the twinhan drivers) as the one I downloaded from Technisat are fairly old (couple of years).

I'm sorry that I don't know what is common-sense to others of this board, but I'm learning. I'm only like 6 weeks into 'Sat-tv', 7 weeks ago I didn't even know that words like 'horizontal and vertical polarisation (in sat-tv terms)' existed.

Thanks again,

It seems you use the WDM driver. Unfortunatly support for it was removed in der DVBViewer Pro 4. But it is back in the current Betaversion.

So you have not much (settings) to loose, why don't you just download the beta from the membersarea / beta section and unzip it into the DVBViewer program folder and try this one? :)

Hi Lars_MQ, Again, Thanks for your reply.

I will do that, going to try the beta later tonight.

The wdm part rings a bell.. always saw it with my analogue cards.

It seems you use the WDM driver. Unfortunatly support for it was removed in der DVBViewer Pro 4. But it is back in the current Betaversion.

So you have not much (settings) to loose, why don't you just download the beta from the membersarea / beta section and unzip it into the DVBViewer program folder and try this one? :)

Hi,

I've dowloaded the beta, extracted it in the folder, when I start the program, I clearly see beta,

but under settings/options/hardware the skystar isn't listed, also , when I click 'Scan Devices' I get no results.

should I try twinhan drivers, and which are the best?

TIA..

Hi,

So, based on my card being a rebadged twinhan vp-1030 card I downloaded the following drivers from the twinhan website.

http://www.twinhan.com/files/AW/BDA%20Driv....2.3.8_WHQL.zip , which is a BDA driver.

Installed the by the 'have disk', then the inf-file, the card gets installed as some sort of 878 (i believe this is a connexant chip, which is right, because the board has one) audio, tuner and video capture device.

I then rebooted the machine and started DVBViewer, but still no detected devices.

mytheatre didn't see any hardware after installing the bda-driver and dvbdream couldn't start the twinhan bda drivers (but it saw them)

I can't see why DVBViewer does not detect the card

Hi,

can anybody point me to which drivers to use with this card.

tried several now, several os's but none work in combination with this program,

it is advertised as being supported and I'm being absolutely no computer noob, only a sat noob, but that shouldn't have anything to do with getting a program to work.

please help.

Ok guys,

I shouldn't have a time this hard to get this (or any) program to work.

As my card is being mentioned on the HCL I feel like I'm being tricked, no matter how big the amount is that I've payed.

Can you please support me ?

You obviously installed the MCE driver for your card and not the real WinXP/Win2k driver version. Anyway your account has been blocked (caused by well known reasons) and we are lucky not hearing from you again.

Christian