Can I run DVBViewer in two instances

fxv1

Can I run DVBViewer in two instances. I Have a DVB-S and a DVB-T devices, both work fine in DVBViewer. However I need both running in tandem in different windows. Can you launch DVBViewer app twice ...or have it set up to 2 locations on the same PC with different configurations ..ie one for DVB-S and one for DVB-T

Is there a PIP facility in DVBViewer ....??

Anyone tested in Windows7 RC yet, I have set this up and seems fine but not sure of optimal choices as yet.

Thanks in advance

Frank

Can I run DVBViewer in two instances. I Have a DVB-S and a DVB-T devices, both work fine in DVBViewer. ...ie one for DVB-S and one for DVB-T

Yes. You must have installed the DVBViewer two times.

Go to the configurationfolder (in DVB-V --> about --> configuration folder), save the configuration folder (DVBViewer not running). Rename the config.folder (like DVBViewerS for Satellite).

Then go to the installation folder (normally c:\program files\DVBViewer) and open the usermode.ini. Here you change the entry

Root=CMUV\DVBViewer to

Root=CMUV\DVBViewerS (for example)

Now you can install DVBViewer a second time. In the window for the installation path you change c:\program files\DVBViewer to c:\program files\dvbviewerT (for terrestric).

DVBViewer should now be installed a second time.

First of all, it is not recommendable to actually *install* DVBViewer twice. There are shared things like registered DirectShow filters (inevitably due to the way DirectShow works), and if DVBViewer is installed twice it becomes unclear which files of which installation are registered. Uninstalling/deleting one installation may disable the other one because the registered ax files in the Filters subdirectory are gone, maybe only leaving some "dead" entries in the registry. The unregistered files in the other installation won't help unless they are registered manually.

The proper way to do it is:

1) Copy the content of the installation folder to a new folder, e.g. Program Files\DVBViewer 2.

2) Edit the file UserMode.ini in the new folder. Change the Root entry e.g. to CMUV\DVBViewer 2 in order to let the second instance use a different configuration folder

3) Launch the copied DVBViewer.exe and close it, so the new configuration folder gets created. Copy the content of the configuration folder of instance 1 to the one of instance 2, if you want it to inherit the settings, channel list etc.

By this you get a "master" and a "slave" installation. Only let an installer update the master installation, not the other one. This has to be done by copying files. And don't register DirectShow filters that are located in the slave installation.

For removing the "slave" installation, just delete it and its configuration folder. That's all.

Go to the configurationfolder and rename the config.folder called DVBViewer to DVBViewerT.

Then go to the installation folder (now c:\program files\dvbviewerT) and open the usermode.ini. Here you change the entry

Root=CMUV\DVBViewer to

Root=CMUV\DVBViewerT

Now you should have two working DVBViewers. You can synchronisize the configuration folder of the new installing with the old one so you have your settings in both Installations.

Note: The two instances must not use the same device at one time!

Edited by Devastation
Yes. You must have installed the DVBViewer two times.

Go to the configurationfolder (in DVB-V --> about --> configuration folder), save the configuration folder (DVBViewer not running). Rename the config.folder (like DVBViewerS for Satellite).

Then go to the installation folder (normally c:\program files\DVBViewer) and open the usermode.ini. Here you change the entry

Root=CMUV\DVBViewer to

Root=CMUV\DVBViewerS (for example)

Now you can install DVBViewer a second time. In the window for the installation path you change c:\program files\DVBViewer to c:\program files\dvbviewerT (for terrestric).

DVBViewer should now be installed a second time.

Go to the configurationfolder and rename the config.folder called DVBViewer to DVBViewerT.

Then go to the installation folder (now c:\program files\dvbviewerT) and open the usermode.ini. Here you change the entry

Root=CMUV\DVBViewer to

Root=CMUV\DVBViewerT

Now you should have two working DVBViewers. You can synchronisize the configuration folder of the new installing with the old one so you have your settings in both Installations.

Note: The two instances must not use the same device at one time!

Many Thanks I will try it out and let you know.

Many Thanks I will try it out and let you know.

Worked 1st time ..thanks ...info spot on.

post-63025-1242336920.jpg

• 4 months later...

HI Devastation,

I did change the root entry to Root=CMUV\DVBViewer2 in usermode.ini, started the second instance and closed. If I go to CMVU directory the DVBViewer2 is not there?

I have to add that I did a second setup of DVBViewer to Program Files\DVBViewer2 not just copy from the first instance. I needed to do this that way as that was in the instruction of DVBLink for DVBViewer.

Can you please advise if there is any entry in the registry which prevents DVBViewer2 to create required directory in CMVU folder? Or is there a way to force the second instance to use it's own data directory?

I run Windows7/32 RTM.

Thank you,

mborkp

Edited by mborkP
I did change the root entry to Root=CMUV\DVBViewer2 in usermode.ini,

In the CMUV directory create the DVBViewer2 folder manualy. Try if it works by deleting the epg.dat. After starting DVBV and switching some channels there should be new epg.dat created and filled with data. (Close DVBV to check).

But maybe its a Win7 thing, I dont know about the behavior of Win7 and double install of DVBV. Win7 is different to xp/vista so there may be some problems.

I have to add that I did a second setup of DVBViewer to Program Files\DVBViewer2 not just copy from the first instance. I needed to do this that way as that was in the instruction of DVBLink for DVBViewer.

Even if DVBLink wants it this way its no good to do so. I didnt use DVBLink but I assume it would work with the copy-way also.