A mix of questions about the new DVB Service

I'm starting to use the new DVBService and I have a few questions that don't deserve separate topics:

1. Is the only way to have DVBService and DVBViewer working on the same PC (same tuner hardware) to configure DVBViewer as Unicast client to DVBService? Isn't it possible to make it work as with the old service - directly use the hardware in DVBViewer and "hand it over" when it closes?

3. Why isn't it possible to watch one channel while recording other WHEN they are on the SAME transponder? Is this limitation of DBVService or unicast or DVBViewer itself?

4. Why isn't preview working too with channels on the same transponder? I've read the help for DVBViewer and it mentions something about Preview Plugin 1.2 but I wasn't able to find it. I've only tried the preview window in DVBViewer itself (menu->view->preview) and it doesn't work or at least I don't know how to make it ... I can't change the channel in the preview window but when I change it in the main window I still get preview but the main window is black.

5. Is it normal that I have to rebuild the graph or change the channel to get the picture back after I've opened the service configuration window while watching in DVBViewer?

1. configure DVBViewer as Unicast client to DVBService? Isn't it possible ..directly use the hardware in DVBViewer and ...

Use Unicast to prevent problems. There is no "handover". I had forgotten about unicast and Recservice made a recording same time as I watched (I m having 2 Cards). But when Recserv. or DVBV need the second (meaning when they want the same hardware) than the smallest prob would be when only a message apears no hardware found. More it would be a system crash.

3. Why isn't it possible to watch one channel while recording other WHEN they are on the SAME transponder?

Sure? Ok I have 2 cards but I've done a recording and had pip activatet for test and all was good. Should this been by chance some on same transponder?

4. see 3. you mean PIP Picture in picture, right?

5. Is it normal that I have to rebuild the graph or change the channel

Same here. I think this would be cause you can edit the hardwareoptions too.

Edited by Devastation

3. Most likely a problem with the channelsettings (diseqc, channelgroup etc). It does work (not only) here without problems. :D

5. Well the Recording service Options stop the service, it is to be expected, that the dataflow to the DVBViewer stops. Workaround: don't do it. ;)

1. it is possible, you can still use the svcctrl.dll plugin for the DVBViewer. But you can only program your timers in the recording service with the webinterface. They do not share the timers.xml anymore, they do not share the epg.dat anymore, so no epg update etc...

I've testet now. It works. But problem is that with unicast you can not filter the channels that would work. So if you change to a channel not on the transponder RecService force back to the recording channel. Problem is you must know what channels are on this transponder to change direktly to them.

Use Unicast to prevent problems. There is no "handover". I had forgotten about unicast and Recservice made a recording same time as I watched (I m having 2 Cards). But when Recserv. or DVBV need the second (meaning when they want the same hardware) than the smallest prob would be when only a message apears no hardware found. More it would be a system crash.

Well I've never had problems with the previous Recording service but I'll try to get used to the new one and see how it works out.

Sure? Ok I have 2 cards but I've done a recording and had pip activatet for test and all was good. Should this been by chance some on same transponder?

Yes, I'm sure that the two channels are on the same transponder.

4. see 3. you mean PIP Picture in picture, right?

Well, it's called "preview" in DVBV but it's the same as PIP I guess. ... btw how does one change the channel in the PIP/Preview window?

Same here. I think this would be cause you can edit the hardwareoptions too.

Sorry, but I don't understand your words. I've configured DVBV to "Retune on missing stream" after 5 sec. and I suppose it does (at least I see again the green percentage bar in the status bar). It's only the graph that doesn't start. I've tried different decoders (FFDShow, NVidia, DScaler for Video and FFDShow, AC3Filter, DScaler for Audio) without success. o:)

3. Most likely a problem with the channelsettings (diseqc, channelgroup etc). It does work (not only) here without problems. :D

Can you be more precise? I'm using Twinhan DVB-C tuner and I don't use diseqc and the channels are in the same group and on the same transponder. I'm testing with channels on Freq=806MHz QAM=64 SR=6875. Could it be that the channels are encrypted and I have only one CAM/CI?

5. Well the Recording service Options stop the service, it is to be expected, that the dataflow to the DVBViewer stops. Workaround: don't do it. ;)

;) Well I don't usually do it. It's just today that I'm still playing with the service but I think it won't be hard to make DVBV retune especially when I've set it to do so on 5 seconds. (see my comment to Devastation)

1. it is possible, you can still use the svcctrl.dll plugin for the DVBViewer. But you can only program your timers in the recording service with the webinterface. They do not share the timers.xml anymore, they do not share the epg.dat anymore, so no epg update etc...
Great. It's nice to have the option to go back to the old fashion control if I ever need to.

Just to clear things up: if I use svcctrl.dll and still have DVBV "Enable Support for the DVBViewer Recordingservice" turned on won't I get the same timers in both?

Edited by pankov
Yes, I'm sure that the two channels are on the same transponder.

Well with DVB-S its no problem if one knows what channels on same transponder (I dont). I have no idea about how DVB-C is working.

Channelchangig in Preview is same as channelchangin without preview, but you can only change the channel in the main window.

For changing channel in Preview-Window you must change between preview and main window (OSD green).

Edited by Devastation
Could it be that the channels are encrypted and I have only one CAM/CI?

If the channels are encrypted, only one channel per card CI and CAM is possible.

If the channels are encrypted, only one channel per card CI and CAM is possible.

:D

Is this limitation of DVBViewer or it's general for CAM or for CI?

Do I have any alternatives? Some software CAM emulator + a SmartCard reader? It's been a few years since I've lastly read about these things and I'm not sure what's DVBV's position on this?

It's not a biggie to lose PIP but I think it's kind of meaningless to offer a feature that won't work in 90% of the cases because most channels are encrypted and not many people have more than one DVB card.

Edited by pankov
Is this limitation of DVBViewer or it's general for CAM or for CI?

More or Less CAM is the problem. There was a test some time ago in a DVBViewer Beta, because some CAM are theoretical able to handle more than one channel. But there are to many problems e.g. each time you change a channel you get errors in the recording.

Do I have any alternatives? Some software CAM emulator + a SmartCard reader? It's been a few years since I've lastly read about these things and I'm not sure what's DVBV's position on this?

§ 13

Do not ask for or discuss plugins for descrambling/decrypting pay-tv or key-codes.

Although the DVBViewer Pro provides full pay-tv functionality it must only be used in combination with a valid subscription of a pay-tv provider, a tv-card/box featuring a "conditional access module" (CAM)and/or the corresponding "common interface" (CI) with a smart-card. This applies regardless whether software-descrambling is allowed in your country or not.

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

More or Less CAM is the problem. There was a test some time ago in a DVBViewer Beta, because some CAM are theoretical able to handle more than one channel. But there are to many problems e.g. each time you change a channel you get errors in the recording.

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

OK.

I understand and I too am against unauthorized viewing and that's the reason I use a legit subscription to my cable provider. I also use a card provided by them. Will I be violating the rules in this case? My idea is, if it's possible at all, to use my official subscription card in some other model of CAM (probably a generic card reader) that will provide me with the possibility to decode multiple channels. For the moment I'm using a Conax CAM in the integrated CI of the TwinHan card and this obviously disallows multiple decodings but I'd like to know my options.

Will DVBV developers look into such kind of legitimate usage of official subscription cards?

Edited by pankov
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a new question:

Is it normal that the CPU usage when using the service is so much more than when using DVBV's direct hardware access?

As you can see from the following screen shot

dvbservicecpu.th.png

there is a noticeable difference between the first half (DVBV direct access) and the second one (the same HD channel (and event) through DVBService).

Why there is so much more red (kernel usage)? Has this something to do with TCP? Can I do something to decrease the CPU impact of the Service?

I'm running XP SP3, using on board NVidia 8300 gfx @ 1920x1080. CPU is AMD 5050e with 2GB ram.

With BBC HD stream (1440x1088 25fps) and AC3 audio I get about 15-20% CPU usage when watching using DVBViwer through the service using PowerDVD H264 decoder.

Just to make things interesting if I get the PS3 to simutaneously view the same channel using the UPnP service, usage goes up to 25-30%.

If I close DVBViewer and just stream to the PS3 CPU is between 6% and 10%.

No idea why yours is so high. What decoders are you using?

Edited by Rob100

well,

I'm using CoreAVC in Software mode so that explains the higher (compared to yours) CPU usage. I'm not complaining about it as 40-50% CPU usage is OK. The problem is when I use the DVBService the CPU usage jumps to 75-80% which is getting close to problematic levels.

For SD channels with the service I get 35-40% while with direct hardware mode I get 5-10%. So I see the same ~30% overhead when using the service.

Is this normal? I mean the difference not the absolute levels.