No audio in some channels!

antdude

Hello.

United States' television stations shut down their analog yesterday so today I rescanned (ATSC) in DVB Viewers (Pro v4 and TE) earlier today. However, a lot of my new channels/stations have NO audio! Even DVBViewer Pro v4.0.0.0's status bar doesn't show anything aobut audio (no AC3). Some do work!

I rescanned in old T.E. v4.5.1.28 and it had no problems on the same stations with no audio in Pro. I noticed v4.1.1 was out so I upgraded and rescanned. Same problem.

I noticed all channels without audio showed audio ID at zero (0) in channels editor. What's up? I attached my exported channel list (renamed some station names since they said "service #" from Pro if it helps.

Thank you in advance. :bounce:

Edited by antdude

I tried to upload my 9 KB SupportTool.zip but it said it is too big. This thread doesn't have any file attachments so why is it saying "Select a file. Attachment space used 508.38K of 512K"?

This thread doesn't have any file attachments so why is it saying "Select a file. Attachment space used 508.38K of 512K"?

You've used that space in previous treads... look at right of the "Login line" on top of this page and click on "My Controls": here you can manage your old attachments...

;)

You've used that space in previous treads... look at right of the "Login line" on top of this page and click on "My Controls": here you can manage your old attachments...

;)

Oh, and thanks. I thought it was a bug and the attachment limits were per forum thread, not the whole forum! I can't upload my supporttools results now since I am not home. :) Edited by antdude

Have you already tried to scan with TransEdit? (you can find it in the Member Area...)

It can do the work a lot more powerfully, especially you can set the time it spend to catch all parameters; my hypothesis is that DVBViewer (mainly sat oriented) analize the stream too quick for cable transmissions or your tuner take too time to tuning a channel (generally speaking this is the explanantion for the missing channels names...)...

;)

Have you already tried to scan with TransEdit? (you can find it in the Member Area...)

It can do the work a lot more powerfully, especially you can set the time it spend to catch all parameters; my hypothesis is that DVBViewer (mainly sat oriented) analize the stream too quick for cable transmissions or your tuner take too time to tuning a channel (generally speaking this is the explanantion for the missing channels names...)...

I tried TransEdit v3.3.3.0 and a scan all. Same results (lots of missing channel names and no audio in a few) when I tried it in DVBViewer Pro v4.1.1. I attached the exported list as TransEdit333-America ATSC.ini FYI. ;) Now what?

I'm sorry for such a question, but you don't mention about it... have you tried to increase the Tuner Lock, PAT, PMT and SDT Timeouts to (at least) 5000ms?

An excerpt from the Transedit's help:

TunerLock Timeout (TechniSat and FireDTV devices only): Specifies how many milliseconds TransEdit waits for the driver to signal successful tuning, after the transponder data has been set. This applies to scanning, not to the Preview function.

PAT Timeout: Specifies how long TransEdit tries to read the PAT. If the timeout is too short, TransEdit will receive no data from the transponder at all - the PAT (Program Association Table) is the base for everything else.

PMT Timeout: Specifies how long TransEdit tries to read the PMT. If the PMT timeout is too short, TransEdit will get no information about the video-, audio and teletext-PIDs, so that TV and radio channels may be mistaken for data services.

SDT Timeout: Specifies how many millisecondsTransEdit tries to read the SDT. If the SDT timeout is too short, TransEdit will not be able to detect a channel's name and its provider - the channel will be diplayed as "Service XXXX" with "Unknown" as provider. However, some channels carry no name, or it is not transmitted according to the DVB specifications.

NIT Timeout: Specifies how many millisecondsTransEdit tries to read the NIT. If the NIT timeout is too short, TransEdit will not be able to detect additional transponders.

The default values will be sufficient in most cases. However, there might be channels that are transmitting the data more slowly, or other conditions prevent TransEdit from reading the tables in time. In this case it may help to increase the timeout values. But have in mind that it may slow down scanning in general. On the other side you can try to improve the scan speed by lowering the timeout values.

...sure sound rather stange that TE scanning works flawlessy while Pro are so "blind"...

BTW, I noticed in your .ini posted file that ALL the channels that have "APID=0" have also "Encrypted=8", but honestly dunno precisely what kind of problem it can indicate...

:)

I'm sorry for such a question, but you don't mention about it... have you tried to increase the Tuner Lock, PAT, PMT and SDT Timeouts to (at least) 5000ms?

An excerpt from the Transedit's help:

TunerLock Timeout (TechniSat and FireDTV devices only): Specifies how many milliseconds TransEdit waits for the driver to signal successful tuning, after the transponder data has been set. This applies to scanning, not to the Preview function.

PAT Timeout: Specifies how long TransEdit tries to read the PAT. If the timeout is too short, TransEdit will receive no data from the transponder at all - the PAT (Program Association Table) is the base for everything else.

PMT Timeout: Specifies how long TransEdit tries to read the PMT. If the PMT timeout is too short, TransEdit will get no information about the video-, audio and teletext-PIDs, so that TV and radio channels may be mistaken for data services.

SDT Timeout: Specifies how many millisecondsTransEdit tries to read the SDT. If the SDT timeout is too short, TransEdit will not be able to detect a channel's name and its provider - the channel will be diplayed as "Service XXXX" with "Unknown" as provider. However, some channels carry no name, or it is not transmitted according to the DVB specifications.

NIT Timeout: Specifies how many millisecondsTransEdit tries to read the NIT. If the NIT timeout is too short, TransEdit will not be able to detect additional transponders.

The default values will be sufficient in most cases. However, there might be channels that are transmitting the data more slowly, or other conditions prevent TransEdit from reading the tables in time. In this case it may help to increase the timeout values. But have in mind that it may slow down scanning in general. On the other side you can try to improve the scan speed by lowering the timeout values.

...sure sound rather stange that TE scanning works flawlessy while Pro are so "blind"...

BTW, I noticed in your .ini posted file that ALL the channels that have "APID=0" have also "Encrypted=8", but honestly dunno precisely what kind of problem it can indicate...

I will try 5000 ms later (maybe tonight?). I used mostly defaults last night. I wonder what TE uses for its values. Edited by antdude

Hi,

did you try to record a channel without sound and try to demux it or take a look at it with MediaInfo? Perhaps they use an uncommon format like AAC.

Ralf

Hi,

did you try to record a channel without sound and try to demux it or take a look at it with MediaInfo? Perhaps they use an uncommon format like AAC.

Ralf

I will try. But in TE on the same channels and has audios, it shows either AC3 or stereo in the status bar.
I'm sorry for such a question, but you don't mention about it... have you tried to increase the Tuner Lock, PAT, PMT and SDT Timeouts to (at least) 5000ms?[/color]

Settings' Scanner 2 tab:

Tuner Lock Timeout: 2000 ms

PAT Timeout: 3000 ms

SDT Timeout: 5000 ms

NIT TImeout: 5000 ms

So I changed 2000 and 3000 to 5000 ms as you suggested.

"Same Channel" Treshold: 8 matching attributes

It took forever to finish, but the results were the same/similiar. Attached the exported INI file.

Hi,

Ralf

No audio in MPG recording. Some recording logs:

KNBC 4.1 6/16/2009

G:\videos\recorded\06-16_21-23-26_KNBC 4.1_Universal Sports.mpg

Device: Air2PC-ATSC-PCI 1

9:23:26 PM / 12:00:00 AM (~ 0.0 MB) Start

9:23:28 PM / 12:00:01 AM (~ 1.0 MB) PID 49: MPEG2 Video, 16:9, 1920x1080, 29.97 fps

9:23:31 PM / 12:00:04 AM (~ 5.4 MB) Stop

Average Data Rate: 1.086 MB/s

Total Size: 5.4 MB (5699490 Bytes)

[General]

Version=1.1

[Media]

Created=6/16/2009 9:23:26 PM

Channel=KNBC 4.1

LastShown=12/30/1899

LastPosition=0

Played=0

[0]

Id=85

Date=6/16/2009

Time=9:00:00 PM

Duration=1:00:00 AM

Title=Universal Sports

Info=

Description=Universal Sports Programming

Charset=0

Content=0

[stats]

Errors=0

Size=5.44 MB (5699490 bytes)

Avr. Datarate=1.086 MB/s

Device=Air2PC-ATSC-PCI 1

MediaInfo v0.7.16:

General

Complete name : G:\videos\recorded\06-16_21-23-26_KNBC 4.1_Universal Sports.mpg

Format : MPEG-PS

File size : 5.44 MiB

Duration : 3s 620ms

Overall bit rate : 12.6 Mbps

Video

ID : 224 (0xE0)

Format : MPEG Video

Format version : Version 2

Format profile : Main@High

Format settings, Matrix : Default

Duration : 3s 620ms

Bit rate mode : Variable

Bit rate : 12.6 Mbps

Width : 1 920 pixels

Height : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16/9

Frame rate : 29.970 fps

Colorimetry : 4:2:0

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.203

Stream size : 5.43 MiB (100%)

I don't know how to demux.

I attached a copy of my exported DVBViewer TE's INI file. I entered the AID and set AC3 for a channel in Pro's channels and it worked.

I also noticed Pro finds more channels than TE during scans. Sheesh!

Edited by antdude

So any other ideas? Or am I stuck? :)

I also uploaded DVBViewer Pro v4.11 Source Properties if that helps (audio not enabled but that is because TransEdit and scan put audio ID as 0! :wacko:

Edited by antdude
I'll notify Christian. He's looking after the ATSC stuff...
Thanks. :)

I am surprised no one else has this problem with ATSC. Must be an isolated situation. :wacko:

Hmm, all my TS Testdumps here are working fine - okay they are quite outdated (made in 2006 when i was in Houston/TX respectively SF/Bay Area), but they work like they should.

I'm quite unsure which might cause the Problems thats why i would like to need some informations:

1. load Transedit

2. extract the attached zip under Transponders in the userdata folder,

3. select America ATSC in the list and choose the frequency with the channel which does not play audio

4. press analyze

If everything is "fine" you should see the following:

atsc.png

What we need is the ES Information of each Service, you can dump the information via save as xml.

Christian

atsc.zip

Hmm, all my TS Testdumps here are working fine - okay they are quite outdated (made in 2006 when i was in Houston/TX respectively SF/Bay Area), but they work like they should.

I'm quite unsure which might cause the Problems thats why i would like to need some informations:

1. load Transedit

3. select America ATSC in the list and choose the frequency with the channel which does not play audio

4. press analyze

post-1-1245430091_thumb.png

What we need is the ES Information of each Service, you can dump the information via save as xml.

Christian

I will try that later tonight or this weekend since I am at work (with OT hours) now.

Questions: Where is this userdata folder/directory at?

Edited by antdude

1. load Transedit

4. press analyze

post-1-1245430091_thumb.png

Christian

I am doing KNBC with its frequency of 605000. I assume that 605 MHz since I couldn't find 605000 nor can I enter it manually. No AID seems to match. Attached. I hope I did it right! Edited by antdude

Hmm, the format identifier is not set like it should. For AC3 it should be 0x332D4341, but in this case it is 0x41432D33. Which means to be correct it is more an 3-CA than AC-3 stream :bye:

Should be fixed in the DVBViewer as well the other applications. Once the next beta is published you should check that out...

I also found some smaller issue which caused a problem with identifying the channel name in the VCT table. The reason was that the serviceid value was not correct, so i compare a channel by using the program_number - which was working on all of my test streams here.

Christian

Hmm, the format identifier is not set like it should. For AC3 it should be 0x332D4341, but in this case it is 0x41432D33. Which means to be correct it is more an 3-CA than AC-3 stream :bye:

Should be fixed in the DVBViewer as well the other applications. Once the next beta is published you should check that out...

I also found some smaller issue which caused a problem with identifying the channel name in the VCT table. The reason was that the serviceid value was not correct, so i compare a channel by using the program_number - which was working on all of my test streams here.

Christian

So, what's the workaround for v4.1.1 while I wait for the next beta? And any ETA on the next beta? How come TE didn't have problems? Am I the only one with this problem? o:)

Christian

4.2 beta did NOT fix the audio problem or maybe I did it wrong. Attached CSV and XMLs from KNBC4 again. I also included a channels for "service" name (allother channels appear to be correct -- yay, no more renaming). I am not sure who owns this one or maybe too weak since I saw a lot of missing values. Edited by antdude

Can you create a small complete transponder dump (not more than 100mb are required)? You could upload the zipped file on rapidshare for instance.

Christian

PS: Did you have done a rescan of the channels and do you have a working AC3 codec installed (yes i know this is a dumb question, but we need to excluse possible other problems) ?

Can you create a small complete transponder dump (not more than 100mb are required)? You could upload the zipped file on rapidshare for instance.

Christian

PS: Did you have done a rescan of the channels and do you have a working AC3 codec installed (yes i know this is a dumb question, but we need to excluse possible other problems) ?

Yes, I did a full rescan (found 42 channels).

How do I make a small complete transponder dump? Need detailed instructions. o:) Also, 100 MB is a bit big since my upload speed sucks so it will have to be overnight or something. :bye:

I have AC3 Filter v1.61b installed from the K-Lite Codec Full Pack v4.9.0. It does work on channels with AC3 audio even though I only have a 2.1 speaker setup. I see the AC3 system tray icon when in used.

FYI, I am going to work soon so I probably won't be able to get the dump or whatever other requests until tonight/tomorrow. o:)

Edited by antdude

I have a better idea. We don't ready need the audio and video streams, just the data streams with all the tables. It should be around 1 maybe two MB compressed.

I'll PM you a little plugin for this in a few minutes.

I have a better idea. We don't ready need the audio and video streams, just the data streams with all the tables. It should be around 1 maybe two MB compressed.

OK, will do it later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!! :bye:

Done and sent as requested. B)
@antdude. Could you please test TransEdit 3.3.4? ATSC scanning should work better now.
v3.3.4 shows a lot of "Service" name with numbers unlike DVBViewer v4.2 betas that detect almost all of the station names. Talk to Lars since he has the dumps and fixes.
v3.3.4 shows a lot of "Service" name with numbers

Confirmed. Thanks for feedback.

Talk to Lars since he has the dumps and fixes.

I did that already before the release, adopted the Pro code, found another bug in it, discussed the matter with Lars... unfortunately by copying the code a new bug slipped in, well hidden, and since the TransEdit scanner isn't able to read from a file source, it remained undetected.

Ok, I'll prepare a new release, and I tell you, that one will be able to scan a file source! ;)

Confirmed. Thanks for feedback.

I did that already before the release, adopted the Pro code, found another bug in it, discussed the matter with Lars... unfortunately by copying the code a new bug slipped in, well hidden, and since the TransEdit scanner isn't able to read from a file source, it remained undetected.

Ok, I'll prepare a new release, and I tell you, that one will be able to scan a file source! ;)

OK! :)