2 instances of DVBViewer Pro

Mr. Man-wai Chang

How could I start 2 instances of DVBViewer? I have 2 HDTV tuners.

The viewer handles two devices without problems. no need for 2 instances.

Then how could I watch 2 channels at the same time with only 1 instance of DVBViewer?

With Picture in Picture.

You can see and here the main channel and can see the channel in the PiP window.

with osd-blue you get help to navigate the PiP

With Picture in Picture.

You can see and here the main channel and can see the channel in the PiP window.

with osd-blue you get help to navigate the PiP

Could I not watch in a small the 2nd channel in a small PIP box, but a regular DVBViewer Pro window?

Got it working! Thanks

Why didn't the CMUV configuration folder's name follow that of the program folder? That is, when I change the default program folder name

from "c:\program files\DVBViewer" to "c:\program files\dvbviewerS", the configuration folder would be named "CMUV\dvbviewerS". That

simplified the whole thing of running 2 instances.

Another method is to copy the way Firefox names its profile folder, which contains something like a GUID .

:) yeah, thats right.

But why uninstall? You want it, you got it. What now?

I would call it "social responsibility" in the context of program installation. :blush:

A program should have a way of removing itself after being installed. :

It's better if DVBViewer would register itself into Add/Remove Progarms using the program folder names we specified. THen

you could see 2 instances of DVBViewer in Add/Remove Programs of Control Panel.

Edited by Mr. Man-wai Chang

Please note: Running two DVBViewer instances is no official feature. However, it is possible, and people who need it may do it, but they must know what they do...

First of all, it is not recommendable to actually *install* DVBViewer twice. There are shared things like registered DirectShow filters (inevitably due to the way DirectShow works), and if DVBViewer is installed twice it becomes unclear which files of which installation are registered. Uninstalling/deleting one installation may disable the other one because the registered ax files in the Filters subdirectory are gone, maybe only leaving some "dead" entries in the registry. The unregistered files in the other installation won't help unless they are registered manually.

The proper way to do it is:

1) Copy the content of the installation folder to a new folder, e.g. Program Files\DVBViewer 2.

2) Edit the file UserMode.ini in the new folder. Change the Root entry e.g. to CMUV\DVBViewer 2 in order to let the second instance use a different configuration folder

3) Launch the copied DVBViewer.exe and close it, so the new configuration folder gets created. Copy the content of the configuration folder of instance 1 to the one of instance 2, if you want it to inherit the settings, channel list etc.

By this you get a "master" and a "slave" installation. Only let an installer update the master installation, not the other one. This has to be done by copying files. And don't register DirectShow filters that are located in the slave installation.

For removing the "slave" installation, just delete it and its configuration folder. That's all.

@Devastation: Please update your instructions accordingly.

@Devastation: Please update your instructions accordingly.

Done.

Sorry for this. First I thought whats the problem. But reading my own post I've seen it. I never really "installed" it two times on my system. Done it the way you described but wrongly wrote it in that post. :)

Edit: und im dt. Wiki geändert.

Edited by Devastation
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

thanks for this informative topic B)

I have another question. If I have 2 instances set up and I want to use recording service, how the service will behave?

Will it run with instance 1 or 2 or is it independant? Will this create any problems?

It might be a basic question but I never used Recording Service and I would like to experiment with it.

Thank You.

The proper way to do it is:

1) Copy the content of the installation folder to a new folder, e.g. Program Files\DVBViewer 2.

2) Edit the file UserMode.ini in the new folder. Change the Root entry e.g. to CMUV\DVBViewer 2 in order to let the second instance use a different configuration folder

3) Launch the copied DVBViewer.exe and close it, so the new configuration folder gets created. Copy the content of the configuration folder of instance 1 to the one of instance 2, if you want it to inherit the settings, channel list etc.

By this you get a "master" and a "slave" installation. Only let an installer update the master installation, not the other one. This has to be done by copying files. And don't register DirectShow filters that are located in the slave installation.

For removing the "slave" installation, just delete it and its configuration folder. That's all.

Thank you!

• 4 months later...

Is it possible to use picture in picture for, example, a TV channel, and a movie/video/DVD?

EDIT: OK, I see it is possible but only if you tune the right channel/transponder first, moving comment to suggestions.....

Edited by dvbrewer