madVR implementation - Posssible?

Kuni

A pity we don't have this, since a big chunk of DVB-S channels (average quality SD MPEG-2) would greatly benefit from madVR's features. I agree there's little to gain for HD content, but SD is still dominant.

Edited by Laserwave

With all due respect, i have no clue why the discussion starts over and over again - concerning madvr. I played a bit with it yesterday and compared the results - as source i used a quite low resolution mpeg2 stream which is probably one of the most problematic ressources played by the DVBViewer. The only breathtaking was the fact that i either need glasses or others see woolgathering. Anyway i played with the MadVR settings (which honestly means i planlessly switched changed the values and watched the scene again while taking screenshots), but did not felt any mentionable image enhancements.

Then i started the DVBViewer and compared the scene with the MadVR results. I did not expected a difference and using increased the shots via gimp to see any difference in the pixels. There might be some smaller differences on the channel logo, but this can be also caused by the enabled pixelshader (i forgot to disable the "4:2:2 chroma upsampler/sharpen" script i use).

But i understand that if you do not use D3D as output (by default the DVBViewer is using it) you will see a horrible image made by the VMR/EVR filter. Since the video is used as video texture, also rescaling is done by the GPU and from my point of view it does not make a difference if you take a texture, apply a filter to rescale into another texture, do this again with another filter etc.

Holgi

PS: I dont think it makes any sense to start a discussion about pro and cons using madvr, all i want to know what people let may think that this filter can produce miracles..

post-111712-0-19916700-1326364570_thumb.png

post-1-0-09644500-1326365237_thumb.png

Edited by hackbart
I uploaded the second file - caused by the upload limitation of the user
  • 9 months later...

Another request for MadVr as a renderer option. .Simply the best renderer available and rockstable with MPC-HC.

Upscaling 720p content to 1080p is lightyears away from other solutions (:-) ,

using jinc as chroma and image upscaling. With modern graphiccards and fast shaders

even sophisticated stuff (Lanczos 4 and Jinc ) works with GPU loads < 75 % reliable.

Edited by vonMengen

With your 5770? At 100W? My optinion is that the difference at typical seat spacing is too small to justify that. There are better solutions anyway...

I agree that the scaler inside the DVBViewer custom presenter is suboptimal. It uses the bilinear D3D scaler. It would be better to trigger the DXVA scaler. Depending on the implementation, these might even be better than madVR, even with Anti-Ringing enabled. And since these scalers are mostly fixed-function hardware, they consume far less power. That's the way to go in my opinion.

Check with Standard EVR. It uses the DXVA scaler. I don't know what the 5770 does in this case, but I guess it is not so bad (at least the DXVA scaler of a HD 6570 is quite good).

Intel HD graphics inside Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge scale twice, one time with a sharp filter (Lanczos 8-tap, introducing quite some artifacts) and one time with a smooth filter (masking artifacts). On a per pixel basis it is decided which one to use, depending on how prone the pixel is to artifacting. The quality is great and power consumption extremely low due to the filters' fixed function nature.

Hi Cinch -thanx for your information -helpful as usual :-)

Changed to a 5870 ( slightly tweaked for MadVR ) - with jinc as imagescaler (3taps) and Lanczos-chroma-upscaling(4 taps ) I get GPU loads < 75 % and very low presentationtimings and never one dropped frame -- so I am on the bright side. A-t.m. I work a lot with 720p stuff on my 58" Panasonic 1080p monitor . Mostly original uncut VBR AVCHD 24p in the 80 - 120 (spikes >160 Mbit) range , deriving from Procamcorders and DSLRs ,. And this material (scaled to 1080p 24 looks beautiful with the config. above . For me its really pretty much important to check correct colours before going into my NLE for grading . So said - Mpc/madVr interacts as well very friendly with Reclock to get correct 23,976 timings.

Best

armin

Edited by vonMengen
  • 3 months later...

MadVR has introduced an advanced frame blending algorithm (not interpolation, which gives unnaturally smooth motion), that practically provides the ability to smoothly display PAL and 23.976 content on 60Hz displays. The video quality loss is minimal. I hope you will reconsider on this (and won't bring it up again :) ).

• 2 years later...