A New BBC HD Problem

thedwarfer1983

I've been recording BBC HD for months with no problems, but now all the recordings have this blocky glitching (it's hard to describe) when played back or re-coded, the video itself is free of errors as the glitches don't always appear in the same place and when playing back with DVBViewer itself they aren't even there at all. it's only bbc hd recordings that have this fault Channel 4 HD is fine.

anyone else have this problem, or a solution?

please help

the dwarfer

BBCHD changed their encoder last week. This has screwed up my viewing too. I think its just a case of play with the different codecs and renderers and see what works. Where it really messed up was diplaying on both the projector and the local monitor. I found that playing them back with the TSPlayer allowed them to play OK.

I found myself starting a recording on DVBViewer and playing it back on TSplayer immediately! (But it was only a quick check - I am not sure that TSPlayer will play while DVBViewer contimues to record.)

Not much consolsolation, but at least you now know that you are not alone!!

I've been recording BBC HD for months with no problems, but now all the recordings have this blocky glitching (it's hard to describe) when played back or re-coded, the video itself is free of errors as the glitches don't always appear in the same place and when playing back with DVBViewer itself they aren't even there at all. it's only bbc hd recordings that have this fault Channel 4 HD is fine.

anyone else have this problem, or a solution?

please help

the dwarfer

I've just tried this with windows 7 and the default ms encorder and there is a problem watching BBCHD and playing back recordings(in DVBViewer),yet vlc plays back without a glitch so I'm guessing its a ms codec problem on my system,I am going to try the arcsoft codecs to see if that fixes it.BTW on another topic as you have CH4 HD I guess you have a cam and sky card like me to view it? have you had any luck with the new white sky cards? mine has just come and I read theres no way they will work with a dragon cam,which will make my floppydtv s2 a expensive FTA only card o:)

well I've just installed the arcsoft codecs and while viewing looks great the recordings are terrible,100 times worse than the ms codec and even unplayable in vlc player.things go from bad to worse for me,first I lose my sky channels and now BBCHD is unwatchable o:)

well I tried to convert the videos and no go.as a work around I tried the divx 7 h264 codec and captured with that,these played back and encoded to mvk with no glitches what so ever.not really a idea solution but it looks to me like the BBC has downgraded there quality,plus untill someone with more knowledge than me comes up with a fix I have no other option.BTW I had to use the arcsoft audio codec as the ac3 gave no sound with the captured divx h264 video?

I found that playing them back with the TSPlayer allowed them to play OK.

There should be no difference between TSPlayer and DVBViewer, since both use the same basic code for playback, provided

- the decoder and the decoder settings are the same (Cyberlink H.264 stores them separately for each application)

- the renderer is the same. However, the way DVBViewer Pro adds the OSD to the picture may have influence, and the EVR handling is a bit different.

- Options -> DirectX -> Use DVBViewer Filter for TS is ticked.

I am not sure that TSPlayer will play while DVBViewer contimues to record.)

It will! Full timeshift capabilities o:)

Here the overall BBC HD picture quality is ok, live and recorded. Tested with Cyberlink H.264 Decoder 2.2.0.725 and CoreAVC 1.7.0.0. However, playback is not fluid throughout, because my CPU is too slow, and my graphics card doesn't support H.264 decoding (AMD Athlon 3200+, Geforce MX 400 purchased 2002, WinXP Home, Overlay Renderer).

Same experience with the new German HD channels Das Erste HD and ZDF HD on Astra 19° East. There were some complaints about artefacts with the Cyberlink decoder, but with my outdated equipment it's just brilliant (apart from some lost frames).

Dunno if you are using DXVA, but it may be the cause of the trouble, because hardware decoding is not that flexible (compared to pure software decoding), particularly if broadcasters are playing with their encoders... :)

The quality of BBCHD compared with ITVHD ,now showing the matrix, is terrible.absolute rubbish,some suggestions on the net that it to get ready for the freeview broadcasts,how sad that the BBC are putting out this quality.