MHEG-5 support, we need your help

hackbart

Hi,

we are currently working on the mheg5 support for english and new zealandish channels. The interpreter is working partially and we honestly need test samples in order to do a valid stress test.

sample.png

It would be nice if everybody who is able to receive mheg 5 related services would dump the pids by using either the mhp plugin, or via transedit.

Christian

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hackbart

• dvbrewer

• uglyned

• mobiwan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MHEG5 is in the standards for Irish DTT also, but I don't think that they are transmitting it yet (Irish DTT is still only in the test stage at the moment). Would it be listed as MHEG5 in Transedit?

The interpreter is progressing and all my BBC/ITV samples are working nearly 100% like they should. Anyway we need samples in order to improve the engine.

Especially samples from new zealand, hong kong and australia would be great.

Christian

mheg.png

The more samples we can get the better. If you could drop me a mail, i will send you a transedit version which will save the mheg data automatically. There is no need for a complete transport stream dump.

It would be nice if there are some customers from new zealand, or hong kong willing to support us with dumps. This would really speed up our internal tests :angry:

We will integrate the Mheg 5 support directly into the DVBViewer, and we will also publish the source code for the Interpreter under GPL.

Christian

The more samples we can get the better. If you could drop me a mail, i will send you a transedit version which will save the mheg data automatically. There is no need for a complete transport stream dump.

It would be nice if there are some customers from new zealand, or hong kong willing to support us with dumps. This would really speed up our internal tests ;)

We will integrate the Mheg 5 support directly into the DVBViewer, and we will also publish the source code for the Interpreter under GPL.

Christian

Yea I live in New Zealand and use DVBViewer with our DVB-T service - happy to help.

Hi, I have been using DVBViewer in New Zealand to receive out DVB-T broadcast. I'm not very technical, but if I can help I would be pleased to assist.

I am using Leadtek PXDTV1300 and DTV2000H Tuners.

the procedure is quite simple, so there should be no real problems. You just have to know how to use WinRAR (it does compress this kind of data to a fraction of it's size) and how to make the rar files available via a downloadservice like rapidshare or similar (because the files are most likely over the 10 MB the magic limit of the mailserver). If you're comfortable with these requirements just PM Hackbart. The more samples we get the better.

In germany we don't have MHEG-5, so we have to depend on your support to make it work for you. :wacko:

Just to help some NZ'ers out if you don't know what to do - Select "Terrestrial (EUR)" in the TransEdit program you will be sent via email, then you can choose (select) one out of the following frequencies to "Analyse":

There are more but I have just put three to give you an example.

Thanks with the help of those files we where able to test our Mheg engine.

As you can see it seems to work like it should :wacko:

freeview.png

If there is a hong kong user able to provide us with the same information we could also test the mheg compatibility there...

Christian

If there is a hong kong user able to provide us with the same information we could also test the mheg compatibility there...

Christian

Looks great, any plans to release a beta?

Edited by mentalinc

post-1-1250524867_thumb.png

Christian

Yea that's what it should be looking like!

Great stuff : )

As you can see it seems to work like it should ;)

post-1-1250524867_thumb.png

Christian

Just reply for your e-mail

How can I collect the Hong Kong MHEG5 data for you ?

The Mheg transmissions in Hongkong also seem to work - at least partially. There is a unicode display problem which needs to become fixed, as well as some weird behaviours caused by Invalid actions fired by the Mheg Application. Either its a bug in our interpreter, or a problem caused by the provider.

tvb.png

Christian

The Mheg transmissions in Hongkong also seem to work - at least partially. There is a unicode display problem which needs to become fixed, as well as some weird behaviours caused by Invalid actions fired by the Mheg Application. Either its a bug in our interpreter, or a problem caused by the provider.

post-1-1250692262_thumb.png

Christian

I had sent you another TS contains new MHP functions. Please test.

Thanks

This is a question you should ask your broadcasters, not us. ;)

ok, so perhaps I'm a little ignorant here, but why should it be the broadcasters problem?

As I understand it, part of the MHEG5 data includes EPG information, which can then be extracted to populate a TV guide, much the same as what STB makers such as Zinwell have done. This can then be used to populate EPG for PVR functionality and such. Surely this would not be the aim of this exercise as well then?

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Because there is already a fully working way to do it: Transmit the EPG in the EIT like everybody else does it. Every DVB receiver can work with it out of the box. There is simply no sane reason to make a MHEG EPG. And there is no reason to write a complicated conversion just to undo (and support) the stupidity of some broadcasters in one country.

Because there is already a fully working way to do it: Transmit the EPG in the EIT like everybody else does it. Every DVB receiver can work with it out of the box. There is simply no sane reason to make a MHEG EPG. And there is no reason to write a complicated conversion just to undo (and support) the stupidity of some broadcasters in one country.

oh, ok. Though I don't agree with your rationale, thanks for putting your view across.

here are two answers from Freeview NZ in regards to non-transmission of EIT data. I suspect we won't be the first country to only submit EPG data via MHEG5

12. When does Freeview plan on including EIT data in your HD broadcast?

The Freeview broadcasters decided to broadcast the EPG data only within the MHEG data stream and not use EITsch data because this uses about one tenth of the bandwidth. If the EITsch data was broadcast separately not only would the cost be substantially more for the bandwidth but the same amount of channels and services could not be provided using the current frequencies.

12. Will MHEG5 be loosened up so that non-Freeview approved STBs can make use of a full 8-day EPG. This includes the Play TV add-on for the PS3.

Mheg-5 is open standard and all the major TV manufacturers and stand alone receiver manufacturers as well as a number of products in development use this standard to populate the 8 day EPG and provide services like MyFreeview.

• 2 weeks later...
(...)

In germany we don't have MHEG-5, so we have to depend on your support to make it work for you. ;)

This is just to let you know that in fact there is MHEG-5 in Germany: STB manufacturer Technisat is beginning to offer MHEG-5 compatible receivers supporting a service called "TechniSat MultyText®". They even operate their own channel "TechniTipp" on 19.2E with MHEG-5 transmissions:

See their press release here:

IFA-Neuheit 2009: TechniSat MultyText® für interaktives Digitalfernsehen

or here:

New at the IFA 2009 show: TechniSat MultyText® for interactive digital television

In the UK some channels have started sending out a 'remind me' button on trailers for programmes. The idea is if you want to watch the show that the trailer is advertising you press the green button and it gets added to your planner.

This could be specific to Sky plus boxes but just in case it's a bit of generic code with just a show name and time in it I thought I'd mention it.

How about the UK? They also don't have their EPG in the EIT (aside from NOW and NEXT), neither Sky nor Freesat. Maybe the reason is indeed that they don't want that any DVB receiver can work with it! Using MHEG they have full control of how the user experiences the EPG, which for most users is good as they can get along with anybody's receiver.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The good news is that it is quite likely that the DVBViewer will become Mheg5 support, but the bad thing is that we don't know when this will be done. I will keep you informed anyway..

mheg.jpg

Christian

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since i had dropped a status report about Mheg5 here. Lars and I had spent a lot time to get the GPL based MHEG-DOTNET Project working with NZ and Chinese Mheg5 Applications, but two issues made us drop any further work on it.

First of all the license forced us to do so, since GPL does not allow the usage by proprietary software like the DVBViewer, and second the code was "just" a port of FreeMheg which is in its current state also far away from complete.

Anyway the good news is that we finally licensed a professional Mheg5 engine which is usually intended to work in regular STB's. This means that the DVBViewer will come with the most complete and fastest Mheg5 solution available on the market, within the near future.

Christian