MHEG-5 support, we need your help

hackbart

Anyway the good news is that we finally licensed a professional Mheg5 engine which is usually intended to work in regular STB's. This means that the DVBViewer will come with the most complete and fastest Mheg5 solution available on the market, within the near future.

Christian

Excellent news :) !! Can you confirm whether this will work with UK Freeview as well as Freesat MHEG?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hackbart

• dvbrewer

• uglyned

• mobiwan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for this. To keep all of these updates and fixes coming as quickly as they do, you must all work very hard - and love the DVBViewer project very much.

It's appreciated.

This is great news. I am really looking forward to seeing MHEG5 on DVBViewer in New Zealand. You guys have done a great job with DVBViewer. It really is some of the best software I've purchased. I've tried SageTV, ProgDVB, MediaPortal, GBPVR, but DVBViewer is simply the best.

Tim

New Zealand

The engine itself is Freeview certified, so you can expect that it works like it should.

Christian

• 3 months later...

Nice, even if i suppose that Germany and some other countries will bet on the CE-HTML horse instead :(

Christian

PS: As i already mentioned we licensed one of the most powerful mheg engines available. After the current DVBViewer release we will start to integrate this one directly into the software.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that 'after the current release' means that after the current beta / RC1 has gone to full release, the next set of betas will start with MHEG5 integration.

Aah, OK :whistle:. Have you already installed the RC straight over your existing 4.2.1.0 install (reply here so others can see thx).

Edited by dvbrewer
  • 1 month later...

Whats the cfurrent situation regarding MHEG support? I have recently installed the new version.

It won't be added till they start making new BETAs, not sure when that will be though.

• 3 months later...

Now that I have UK Satellite and Irish DTT (uses UK profile MHEG5) on DVBViewer, I'm looking forward to MHEG5 support.

I'm on 4.6.0.1 release. Is there a beta or test version with MHEG5 yet?

Not yet, I heard they already had a test version that worked with it, not sure why it cannot be released :(.....

Well just be patient, it is on our list. We already licensed an engine which is normally working on freeview certified stb's, which means it will come for sure.

So you be definitively on the safe site if you buy a DVBViewer license :whistle:

bbci.jpg

Christian

PS: Before you ask, this is not a mockup - it is an actual working Mheg stack inside the DVBViewer.

Well just be patient, it is on our list.

post-1-0-66349200-1296625466_thumb.jpg

Christian

PS: Before you ask, this is not a mockup - it is an actual working Mheg stack inside the DVBViewer.

Ohhh they have News Multiscreen now on there as well do they, hurry up please ;).

If you need tested in Ireland on Saorview let me know!

I also have 10+ years experience compiling and building embedded systems.

Edited by mobiwan

Well we can only test Astra 28° and the recordings i have collected within the last years. So if you have the ability to record some streams it would be nice. Nevertheless i think it should work with all Mheg5 Applications available.

I presume there is some way to record entire stream with VLC, DVBViewer, ProgDVB or something? One entire Multiplex is 24Mbps

I get the SD, HD and Radio content OK from DTT stick in DVBViewer.

Saorview is using UK profile MHEG5 so it should be good.

Edited by mobiwan

It is very easy to record the full transponder.

If you set the recording from within DVBViewer, click the arrow to the right of the program description, select "special action" and select "Transponder Dump".

On the Recording service, from the timer page, click on the pencil to edit the time, click on "Whole Transponder" and click "Save". Simples :biggrin:

Transedit can record the whole dump quite easily.

Well in theory it is supported but at the current state deactivated. I might offer the option to enable or disable this feature, because ITV/iPlayer is only supported with an IP based in the UK. The problem is that if this feature is activated the whole Mheg application blocks outside that region.

Well in theory it is supported but at the current state deactivated. I might offer the option to enable or disable this feature, because ITV/iPlayer is only supported with an IP based in the UK. The problem is that if this feature is activated the whole Mheg application blocks outside that region.

It does not support HD iplayer though, so probably better to use a browser link as mentioned by SnoopyDog in this post (would be nice for something like that to be built into DVBViewer :whistle: )

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/43709-i-need-a-plugin-to-watch-youtube-video/page__view__findpost__p__323300

There is also this application 'nevermiss-tv' that includes most VOD UK TV all in one place, could be launched from DVBViewer

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-entertainment-pcs/1240477-nevermiss-tv-watch-all-uk-catchup-tv-freeview-your-htpc.html

Edited by dvbrewer

If you set the recording from within DVBViewer, click the arrow to the right of the program description, select "special action" and select "Transponder Dump".

On the Recording service, from the timer page, click on the pencil to edit the time, click on "Whole Transponder" and click "Save". Simples :biggrin:

Is "recording service" a menu in DVBViewer or a separate program? Sorry to ask stupid question.

I'll record some Saorview TS later over weekend. See the RTENL link above from this page http://www.rtenl.ie/saorview.htm

Thanks for the stream. It works like it should - i guess.

What we still miss is some chinese mheg transmission and a few from down under. So if you are able to record some streams - this would be nice :whistle:

rte.jpg

Is "recording service" a menu in DVBViewer or a separate program? Sorry to ask stupid question.

The recording service is a programme that runs in the background that aloows you to use the PC as a recovder when DVBViewer is powered off. It also allows you to stream live tv and recordings around a network. If you only have DVBViewer installed, you can record the transponder dump as I showed you. It was an either/or between the two programmes.

Details of the recording service are here.

Thanks for all the info - looking forward to this one.

Could I maybe ask that there's some kind of tweak so that someone with an acceptable IP address can enable the players?

RTE also talk of adding their rte Player to Saorsat/Saorview via MHEG5 application. Though RTE NL has not made network (WiFi or Ethernet) mandatory on Saorview Certification. But some programs are available anywhere, some on IPs anywhere in Island of Ireland and some only on Irish National IPs.

post-1-0-66349200-1296625466_thumb.jpg

Christian

Christian can you confirm that screenshot is using satellite and the news multiscreen works? Apparently it is not accessible on freesat boxes yet so have you uncovered a test? Please can we have this in BETA soon :)?

Could I maybe ask that there's some kind of tweak so that someone with an acceptable IP address can enable the players?

Surely all needs to be done is a choice/warning to enable it on the installation, saying if you enable this and try to access VOD service through MHEG not intended for your country, MHEG will become disabled and you will need to restart DVBViewer?

Well i did not tested it, but the engine should be able to handle this. The engine itself does not need any kind of beta tests, since it is certified, tested and works on a lot of stb's all around the world :)

So a public beta test would not be required at all..

Christian

Surely all needs to be done is a choice/warning to enable it on the installation, saying if you enable this and try to access VOD service through MHEG not intended for your country, MHEG will become disabled and you will need to restart DVBViewer?

In that case people in N.I who get most but not all RTE Player and are supposed to get Saorview (25% now, 50% + after ASO, and 100% via Saorsat). Maybe RTE will sort NI rights for all of RTE player before they add the MHEG app (which doesn't yet exist anyway)

Not a problem in rest of UK because only a very few places in IOM and Welsh cost get Saorview (via Aerial) and Saorsat reception is difficult to impossible. (the amazing reason why is here http://www.techtir.ie/saortv/saorsat-coverage )

AFAIK as well as current EBU teletext duplication in MHEG5 text, RTE plans MHEG5 EPG, though unlike Freesat, the DVB EIT has almost full EPG, Interactive video like BBC does for Wimbledon (currently one mux active, but 2nd mux later 2011 will give space for the video), MHEG app for the digital Radio (there is almost no DAB coverage for the Digital only stations) and MHEG app for current web based RTE player content.

Presumably at least TG4 will be doing something too. (Irish Language PSB). TV3 is unlikely to do anything.

Well i did not tested it, but the engine should be able to handle this. The engine itself does not need any kind of beta tests, since it is certified, tested and works on a lot of stb's all around the world :)

Christian

Great news! Thank you.

Hmm not really - i never ever got the MCE working properly with my technotrend device. And if you tune Multytext (Astra 19.2° - Technisat transponder) it simply crashs. I did not tested BBC on Astra 28°, but well once you got stuck with the DVBViewer, you only try to play with the alternatives in order to see how others "deal" with things. Which means for testing purposes MCE is nice, but recordings and real time jobs are done within the more grown up solution (DVBViewer). Somehow i'm scared how Microsoft is screwing up things like media center applications. MCE looks and behaves completely half-baked, but i would not complain, because this will save the survival of the DVBViewer for the next years for sure. :whistle:

Peter:

PS: @Christian, could you create a youtube video of Multytext? I only saw images and it does not work with any mheg pc solution available :) I'm just curious how it looks :blush:

Edited by ElecardFAN

Christian

Great news :bye:. It is strange that it showed BBC NEWS Multiscreen 1001 as apparently this is not active on Freesat STBs yet, can you possibly check to see if this actually works or is BBC just testing?

Edited by dvbrewer

Hmm i can not test it here, because i receive Astra 28° only via remote pc, in combination with a non public transedit version. This one does not allow several things required for a lot of mheg apps, like tuning to other channels.

@Elecardfan: I uploaded a small video on youtube which shows some services in action. All of them (except the Multytext) are recordings, so some live streams might look different these days.

Christian

PS: But it is really amazing how quick and efficient mheg works. Quite a shame that only a few parts in the world are using it :(

Nice thanks :bounce: May i ask if the DVBViewer will increase it's price, because you mentioned that the engine is licensed? I do not want to awake sleeping dogs but i suppose a 15 euro license fee does not have that much range for third party licenses.

Peter

You are right with this, but honestly at the moment we spent more time into adding this feature, than in rethinking the price model. The support will be automatically part of the next DVBViewer, but the engine has to become sold separately. Don't panic, even if we did not have a price/model yet, it won't be that expensive.

Christian