Documentaton for DVBViewer PRO 4.2.1

pruemmler

I installed Pro 4.2.1 and notice that the help file seems to be out of date. The last modified date on the .chm file is 4/12/2005. Is there a more current manual or documentation?

Is anyone actually working on updating the Help file? If not, why not? It's usually the first place new users go to get help, and it should be newer than four years old.

Just saying.

:)

Well writing a manual is a huuge job. There are simply no ressources here to keep the manual up to date. Further on it would probably need more than houndred pages to explain at least the basics...

Everybody who is interested in writing such a book, is heavily welcome.

Christian

If only the english wiki where as comprehensive as the german one....

Given the number of English speaking Germans here, it's just incredible that no one/two/three people have done this.

Given the number of English speaking People here, it's just incredible that no one has written anything in the Wiki at all.

There are more than enough informations in the English part off the Forum to start.

And if you use a translation Tool you should be able to use the germen Wiki as well es source for informations for the English Wiki

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...history_state0=

Given the number of English speaking People here, it's just incredible that no one have wrote anything in the Wiki at all.

There are more than enough informations in the English part off the Forum to start.

And if you use a translation Tool you should be able to use the germen Wiki as well es source for informations for the English Wiki

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...history_state0=

Yeah I could do all that, or as I just said, someone who speaks both Languages could do it, then MAINTAIN it, which is where the problem really lies. No one can be bothered keeping it up to date.

There's no excuse for this not being done, there are hundreds, if not thousands of people who could do it.

And of course because I've offered criticism, I'll be flamed/belittled etc..

who speaks both Languages could do it

I have allready done some (e.g. RecService Install. Guide).

then MAINTAIN it

But what do you think? I am a user as you are, nothing more, nothing less. Doing such translations costs me more time than writing the double (maybe thrice) in german.

There's no excuse for this not being done, there are hundreds, if not thousands of people who could do it.

Yes, and you are one of them! You must not speak german to write some things to the wiki. As Tjod said: there is good information (in english) in the forum.

Also its problematic for germans to always change the DVBV to english for Screenshots. You (and all others) can for example look in german wiki whats there and do some english screenshots of chapters you want to have. Load the screenshots to english wiki, make the page for it and write the table of contents.

And of course because I've offered criticism, I'll be flamed/belittled etc..
flamed? For what reason, this helps not the slightest.

I hope I gave you reason to begin. ;)

Edit: And to your knowledge, I work with translation machines too, for giving me ideas. But most time they giving me a laugh.

Edited by Devastation
I have allready done some (e.g. RecService Install. Guide).

But what do you think? I am a user as you are, nothing more, nothing less. Doing such translations costs me mor time than writing the double (maybe thrice) in german.

Yes, and you are one of them! You must not speak german to write some things to the wiki. As Tjod said: there is good information (in english) in the forum.

Also its problematic for germans to always change the DVBV to english for Screenshots. You (and all others) can for example look in german wiki whats there and do some english screenshots of chapters you want to have. Load the screenshots to english wiki, make the page for it and write the table of contents.

flamed? For what reason, this helps not the slightest.

I hope I gave you reason to begin. ;)

Edit: And to your knowledge, I work with translation machines too, for giving me ideas. But most time they giving me a laugh.

Ok, I'll take up the challenge, shall we try and work together to get the doco up tp date?

My only real 'talent' in this area, is I speak/write excellent English, so at the very least I can clean up any mangled translations as long I can bounce them off you.

Not sure how to begin, if you're interested, please email me at fastxaxe@fastmail.fm

Ok, I'll take up the challenge, shall we try and work together

a good return pass ;)

to get the doco up tp date?

What are you dreaming of? We two? :)

Let us hope there will be more.

speak/write excellent English

yep, somewhat educational to read your posts.

Not sure how to begin, if you're interested, please email me at

Interested. But we do it here over the forum. So we have the chance to elate others to help. :argue:

And maybe its best you edit your post and delete the email. Spam-save! ;)

My last done english wiki entries: http://en.DVBViewer.tv/en/index.php?title=...4&limit=100

Maybe you (and others welcome) can begin to check the spelling and there are some german screenshots.

As for the screenshots in Recording Service Installation Guide: the one marked as german please dont load new ones with same name. They are also for the german guide. Maybe its a good idea to add a _en for the english screenshot (like Timeline or TVGuide is same in german & english)

All others are special for english wiki and can be overwritten.

I have startet a new Thread in English Forum Part. (hope it stays there)

Let us do questionings and discussions there. Others will help if the see some action (hopefully).

You can ask in that Thread for the topic you prefer for next. (I will not guarantee, cause I'm not familiar with all topics)

Edited by Devastation
Well writing a manual is a huuge job.

Christian

Christian

You have provided an excellent software tool for a very reasonable price!!! The forum provides much help to a new user. I am very new to this and I don't understand German (although I took 4 years of German 40 years ago in high school). i didn't mean to complain. I simply thought that maybe there was a more current help file. The english wilki has been a big help. Thanks to Devastation for the heads up on that source of information. Being a retired software developer I know how hard and distasteful it is to keep the documentation current. Is your software written in delphi? That is one language that I use to use. My main problem has been trying to figure out why no video and/or audio displays for a channel. Is the signal too weak, the wrong fec, modulation or other parameter entered. How do I figure out where in the software is there a failure. I am learning more and more each day an am having success at times. Much of my learning has been trial and error, plus much help from this forum. Thanks again for providing such a nice software program!!!

pruemmler

Well writing a manual is a huuge job. There are simply no ressources here to keep the manual up to date. Further on it would probably need more than houndred pages to explain at least the basics...

Everybody who is interested in writing such a book, is heavily welcome.

Christian

Could you please explain in details what is the meaning of "retune if missing stream" parameter in Options->Hardware section. If I don't set it as 2 seconds sometimes I see black screen instead of TV programm. I guess it is a bypass patch of some hardware or system problems. I have TT-S2-3200 DVB card. What else can I do in order to have stable system with this parameter set to 0?

P.S. 4.2.1 is a very good and stable version, but I spent 2 evenings to make it work properly. Detailed manual could have significantly shorten this time.

Edited by Andrey123456

If ther is no stream it will be retuned after setted seconds. This is good for Hardware where channels can be tuned only at second or third try. I setted to 0 funktion is deaktivated.

See options -> TV & Radio -> Fast channel switching.

If checked uncheck this option. Maybe this helps and you didnt need the retune thin.

Edited by Devastation

Can the tuning problem be related to using [removed]? All the time I see the problem (if exists) on channels, required plugin. There is no problem with server, it is located in livingroom and connected through 20meter cable. With DVBDream the same plugin and client -server setup the system works stable, but switchng time is much longer there. (hope this post is not agains the rules i ask about tuning problem, not about plugin itself)

I know, it is very hard to give an answer wihout seeng the system. Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I just want to know new-bought software better.

§ 13

Do not ask for or discuss plugins for descrambling/decrypting pay-tv or key-codes.

Although the DVBViewer Pro provides full pay-tv functionality it must only be used in combination with a valid subscription of a pay-tv provider, a tv-card/box featuring a "conditional access module" (CAM)and/or the corresponding "common interface" (CI) with a smart-card. This applies regardless whether software-descrambling is allowed in your country or not.

Ok, I will try to localize problem by disabling plugin. But As I told plugin is stable wiht DVBDream.

I just tryed what you suggested, unchecked "Fast Channel Switching" checkbox in TV + Radio section. It made switching even more unstable.

with a box checked I was able to lock a strream anyway, may be with timeout of 5 seconds worst case. With unchecked box I often see Malevich's painting ;) (black screen)

I see that finally I will need to find a magic combination of parameters that will work good for me. My next question: what is the meaning of the last parameter in TV + Radio section "Timeout for channels witch by numbers(in milliseconds) ? What is "Direct tuning" in Hardware section? Could you plesae tell me list of parameters somehow related to my problem with explanation?

Edited by Andrey123456

Unfortunately localization of plugin influence failed. I connected CI slot to my TT-s2-3200, inserted Irdeto CAM module with official card. The card was tested before and after experiment - it is working. CAM module was also tested in another receiver. On the back side it has number D.IRD60907856 No other identification, but it was recommended and sold by official dealer of sat. provider. after I connected all together I got error message. (screenshot is attached).

After card insertion computer was stuck completely until hard reset. After this dangerous experiment I inserted the card in another receiver. Card didn't show any signs of life for about 5 minutes, but finally came back to work.

Is it a bug or progam feature? If it is a bug what information should I prepare to report it?

I use winXPSP3

BDA Driver

Driver date 04.03.2008

Driver version 5.0.0.19

I am looking forward for any suggestion how can I improve "worst case lock time" by playing with parameters. Assume that I can not disable plugin meanwhile because of reason listed above...

But As I told plugin is stable wiht DVBDream.

This says nothing about what goes with DVBV

in TV + Radio section "Timeout for channels witch by numbers(in milliseconds)

With this you set a waiting-time (in milisec.) before channelchange. Adjust this if you have problem to type the channelnumbers fast enough.

What is "Direct tuning" in Hardware section?

This is a translating of german wiki. I dont know much about this or whether its related to your problem:

this activates a more direct an thereby faster channelswitching mode. Thats only with BDA Drivers. Also there will be used a DVBV internal Network Provider Filter, that helps with Vista 64 Bit problems. That doesnt go for all cards. If there is no problem with the funktion you can set it. The internal Network Provider Filter can be deactivated even with this option activated if that makes problems. This only goes with editing the hardware.xml in the section of the card.

<entry name="useMSNP">1</entry>

list of parameters somehow related to my problem

Others I dont know by now. This PayTV stuff is not my cup of tea.

If it is a bug what information should I prepare to report it?

I dont think its a bug.

But you can provide a support.zip and if someone needs more informations it will be asked.

Edit: Start DVBV in Debug mode (see in start menu -> Programs -> DVBViewer) use the smartcard and provide the support.zip from after the crash.

Edited by Devastation

After my own investigation of the problem I found that the source is located in Hardware-Driver-System layer, not in application. Three different DVB applicatios have the same behaviour. Are low-level problems covered by support? If not I will not even bother support team and myself collecting all the information. If yes, I will be glad to help improving DVBViewer.

For now the best result achieved is 5 second "worst case lock time" average once in 20 switchings. I think it is also hardware-drivers problems. Not so bad by the way. Average switching time is better than in any other DVB application.

Another question. If some channeels have 2 audio tracks i.e. english and russian, wich parameter defines preferred language? I am asking because my favorites are exact copy of whole channel list. When I switch by channel+/- on channel with double audiotrack I get english track. If I do station+/- (favorites) on the same channel audio track is russian. All my attempts to set audio tracks when channel+/- to russian didn't succed. May be I missed something?

Not that I know about.

But it is no problem. Open channel editor, grab the russian entry and pull it before the english.

Simple drag 'n' drop. :wacko:

And klick save.