TimeshiftPlus Plugin

erwin

Here you can get a TimeshiftPlus plugin.

Features:

1. RingBuffer-Design

2. options for RAM-only/virtual Memory

3. option for timeshifting across channel changes

4. Slowmotion/Fast Forward (with installed HAALI-splitter) with optional zooming (Pan&Scan)

5. supports Instant Recording (DVBViewer 4.2.1.0) from the actual position in ringbuffer

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...st&p=260287

erwin

• 1 month later...

This is a great plugin in DVBViewer. Because it's in German sub-forum, international users were not acquainted to this plugin. Hope also list all the changelogs in English in together with German language.

I'm using your latest 1.2b, I have following 2 questions, could you explain?

1. There is a default 128KiB dummy zone, what doesn't this "dummy zone" mean?

2. What does "lock DVBViewer in RAM" mean?

Also, for the Slowmotion/FF option: I selected "CyberLink Video/SP Decoder". But there are following issues:

1. Each time I evoke the Slowmotion/FF window, the video will only play ~4 seconds, then stop.

2. The video in Slowmotion/FF is interlaced. The video decoder I selected won't cause interlaced video, but it's interlaced in Slowmotion/FF window.

1. There is a default 128KiB dummy zone, what doesn't this "dummy zone" mean?

This feature tries to compensate for the variable bitrates. If writing is currently faster than reading (higher bitrate is recorded than what has already been recorded in the previous ringbuffer round and is currently being played back), then parts of the buffer may be overwritten that have not yet been read. This can only happen, if the reading position (playback) is pretty much left of the time-slider (so if you are not watching live but the oldest parts that have been written to the ringbuffer), where the logical beginning resides and new data is written/recorded. The probability gets less when moving the (playback) slider further to the right (into the future towards live), in other words, the probability of a writing (recording)/reading (playback) collision gets less the further you move to the right (live playback is always to the very right of the time-slider), so it is only a problem if you are watching the oldest stuff in the ringbuffer. And that is why there is a dummy zone to the very left.

2. What does "lock DVBViewer in RAM" mean?

If you give all your RAM to the plugin (and even the swap area, so the whole virtual memory), your system may not be too responsive any longer. If you enable this option, the DVBViewer will be kept in the RAM and not swapped to hard disk, so that it stays more responsive to user input.

This plugin is pretty technical and you have to know quite some stuff concerning computer science. The first issue is why this feature never made it into the DVBViewer because you can't avoid the probability of collisions by 100%. Just set the dummy zone as high as possible or never move the time-slider into the very left corner :) .

Edited by CiNcH
Version 1.2 BETA is available.

New:

1. remote control

Not easy reading a 15 page thread in german when not speaking the language. VERY intresting plugin i must say and im especially intrested to know more about the new feature "Remote Control" and what i am able to do with it?

Not easy reading a 15 page thread in german when not speaking the language. VERY intresting plugin i must say and im especially intrested to know more about the new feature "Remote Control" and what i am able to do with it?

You can control TimeshiftPlus-Features remotely. For example you can set a Bookmark #3 by pressing the "3"-key on your remote control.

erwin

Also, for the Slowmotion/FF option: I selected "CyberLink Video/SP Decoder". But there are following issues:

1. Each time I evoke the Slowmotion/FF window, the video will only play ~4 seconds, then stop.

An unsolved issue yet. The playing time depends on the start position. If the start position is live-tv than you have this ~4 seconds at 1x. If you have a slowmotion playrate of 0.2 this yields 5 x 4 seconds.

2. The video in Slowmotion/FF is interlaced. The video decoder I selected won't cause interlaced video, but it's interlaced in Slowmotion/FF window.

I will check it.

erwin

Yes, can confirm this as well and using the Nvidia PureVideo decoder.

Hello Erwin!

Thanks for a really cool plugin! However the backside of it is the lack of information describing the different features, how to install it and simply how to use it in english. Using the Google translation tool on the german thread confuses the hell out of anybody trying to make sence of the result we are getting in english. I know this is not what programmers as yourself is dreaming about doing, but some info in english is desperatly needed. Your plugin is that instresting in my mind, it would be ashame if users around the world misses out on it.

Regards

Majstang

Another 2 bugs:

1. In the plugin properties windows, after clicking "Apply", the "Apply" button will still be active, should be grayed-out.

2. When uncheck "release buffer on timeshift stop", after switching to different channels, the search bar won't work perfectly for the recorded position. It's very good and useful to keep all the channels timeshift data in memory, but I always can't find the correct place in the search bar to see what I needed. Hope the function be improved.

Best regards.

1. In the plugin properties windows, after clicking "Apply", the "Apply" button will still be active, should be grayed-out.

... nit-picking... *g*

2. When uncheck "release buffer on timeshift stop", after switching to different channels, the search bar won't work perfectly for the recorded position.

Problem is that the plugin can't control the time slider. The time slider reflects the timeshift time of the DVBViewer. After the ringbuffer is filled (so after the first ringbuffer round), the time slider should not extend any longer because the buffer fill rate is constant afterwards, but it still extends because the DVBViewer thinks that the buffer is still getting bigger. And if you switch channels the DVBViewer resets the timeshift time to 0, so it thinks the buffer is empty...

It is better to use the jump actions to navigate within the buffer. The plugin is able convert then...

It's very good and useful to keep all the channels timeshift data in memory

You should also be aware that in case of a format change you will lose audio and/or video depending on which format changed. So if you for example switched to a channel with AC3 und now timeshift back to a channel with MPEG audio, you will lose audio.

A DVBViewer plugin simply does not have enough control to handle the things you mentioned properly..

Edited by CiNcH
It is better to use the jump actions to navigate within the buffer. The plugin is able convert then...

After long time watching, the jump actions won't work correctly neither. When clicking 1 time <<, it will play the recorded video very long time ago instead of just several seconds ago.

You should also be aware that in case of a format change you will lose audio and/or video depending on which format changed. So if you for example switched to a channel with AC3 und now timeshift back to a channel with MPEG audio, you will lose audio.

Confirmed.

Hope author can think of better ways handling this.

I would just enable "release buffer on timeshift stop". The DVBViewer-API is too restricted in many ways to handle that properly (e.g. altering playback graph, controlling the time-slider and resolving time due to very variable bitrates between several channels and the DVBViewer resetting time after channel change). The plugin is complex enough already without this feature...

What you should also be aware of is that after a 'Jump to Bookmark', the time-slider is reset and jumps can't really be resolved any longer because the plugin can't set the time-slider to the correct position of the bookmark as it lacks control over it. So I hope you didn't use bookmarks together with Jump+/-.

BTW, by Jump+/-, the Jump Actions are meant. Check the Actions.ini and the Tweaks.txt and search for 'jump'.

Edited by CiNcH
  • 1 month later...

For my issue for latest .30beta version of DVBViewer listed in below link:

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry270004

This is caused by TimeshiftPlus. Allocating and deallocating a lot of memory takes quite some CPU time under W7 which seems to cause EVR Custom to stop rendering. DVBSource video buffers are being filled until an overflow is triggered.

German is not easy for me to read using Google Translate... Just post here for informational purpose. I think Erwin should already know this issue.

For my issue for latest .30beta version of DVBViewer listed in below link:

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry270004

This is caused by TimeshiftPlus. Allocating and deallocating a lot of memory takes quite some CPU time under W7 which seems to cause EVR Custom to stop rendering. DVBSource video buffers are being filled until an overflow is triggered.

German is not easy for me to read using Google Translate... Just post here for informational purpose. I think Erwin should already know this issue.

As workaround you can do a delayed TimeshiftPlus-Start. Do it by disabling "Automatic Timeshift" in the DVBV options or by scripting.

erwin

As workaround you can do a delayed TimeshiftPlus-Start. Do it by disabling "Automatic Timeshift" in the DVBV options or by scripting.

erwin

Thank you. I tried disabling "Automatic Timeshift" in the DVBV, but then, after restarting DVBV, the timeshift won't start automatically. Did I miss something or could you expand more including how to change script?

Thank you. I tried disabling "Automatic Timeshift" in the DVBV, but then, after restarting DVBV, the timeshift won't start automatically. Did I miss something or could you expand more including how to change script?

In this case you must start timeshift via menu or button or remote. Via script (you must it create yourself) you can do this automatically.

erwin

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi!

In the early versions of dvb dream there was a feature that i realy loved: the earlier recording feature. When you pressed the record button, the recording started a few (10-15) sec earlier from a buffer, so you dont need to rewind to record past events. It was very useful to record videoclips, commercials, etc. Can you please add this feature to this plugin? I realy miss this from dvb apps.

ps: sorry for my bad english...

the earlier recording feature. When you pressed the record button, the recording started a few (10-15) sec earlier from a buffer, so you dont need to rewind to record past events.

Thank you for your suggestion. No Problem for me to integrate. But I must think about the GUI too. This feature is not for all users a good think. Therefore it must be an enable/disable posibility. A setup for the timespan is also a consequence. etc.

erwin

Thank you for your suggestion. No Problem for me to integrate. But I must think about the GUI too. This feature is not for all users a good think. Therefore it must be an enable/disable posibility. A setup for the timespan is also a consequence. etc.

erwin

Great! Thanks for your work! :bounce:

• 1 year later...

Version 1.2 BETA is available.

New:

1. remote control

2. bookmarks

2. DVBV-datamanager support

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...st&id=20564

For a description (in german language) see here:

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...st&p=265991

erwin

Great Work.

I suggest adding support for independent hard drive time-shift file , away from windows manged memory which is limited , also windows closes other tasks to free memory on memory low condition and that's undesirable.

Thank You.