Japanese EPG problem

takuya

Hello

we are a group of users who use DVBViewer for the japanese skyperfectv pay tv service!

we greatly appreciate your work, sadly neither the japanese channel names nor the EPG are displayed correctly

could you please help us as we'd really like to use this great piece of software!

please tell me if you need more information

post-86724-1253450542_thumb.png

Actually there is no japanese character table in the DVB Definitions (see ETSI EN 300 468 Section A.2). I tried to find some informations about which text encoding these channels use, but didn't find anything meaningful...

According to the ARIB specifications it is plain UTF-8!

no it isn't, that I'm pretty sure of. take a look at the examples there are waaaay to many chars of the <128 values. It can't be Unicode (UTF-16) either because then MTV or HD would never appear...

According to ARIB B24 Vol1 Part 2 Chapter 7 it is something completly different. I haven't understood what they describe there but it does sure look impressive (especially figure 7-2 B) )...

I did several tests with the sample from here, but I'm not even sure if I should be able to see anything in Japanese or if I have to install some font or have to change my windows settings. I can see the chinese text in Unicode without having to change any settings...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, to be honest i did not have had a look on it yet. To speed things up I would really like to have some recordings with audio/video in it. I think it is similar to the IDSB (partially since Brazil does not use katakana/hiragana) i added end of 2010 :)

Christian

Hi, to be honest i did not have had a look on it yet. To speed things up I would really like to have some recordings with audio/video in it. I think it is similar to the IDSB (partially since Brazil does not use katakana/hiragana) i added end of 2010 :)

Christian

Thanks for your reply!

Great you're still considering adding support, much appreciated!

Please check your private messages for the recorded TS file.

I don't think a audio/video recording will help, cause the stuff is in the EIT stream. Maybe the procedure from here: http://www.DVBViewer...g-channelnames/ (SI recordings) is better suited...

I hate to be a spoilsport but I see a problem: It seems some chars(?) are defined as graphics and this will never work with the EPG in the DVBViewer which is internally based on UTF-8 encoded strings...

The EIT stream is included in the recording file. (See my private message.)

Yes, there are a few special graphical characters like musical notes, airplanes, or circled numbers. Their occurrence is very rare however, and it would be fine to just replace them by a placeholder.

The majority of graphical characters do exist in the UTF-8 charset, so a list of the corresponding (hex) values can eventually be created. ;)

Edited by Filb

Wow, that was quick. Thanks!!

The only strange text I can see is Service 33412 (2NMX|ÝÃ×¹HD), but not sure what that is or should be. ;)

The rest looks perfectly fine to me! Good work!

Edited by Filb

Well there WILL be problems with the channel names, cause channel names will not be decoded. The last big problem on our way to unicode... :(

If you have a chance to record a stream with some subtitles - this would be nice. The one you provided us does not seem to contain them.

Christian

After installing the latest beta of the Recording Service, Japanese EPG works almost perfectly. Great work!

From what I can see, all titles are displaying correctly, and while most of descriptions look okay, there are a few that have decoding errors:

epg-overview19n6.png epg397m.png

But maybe they're just related to the graphical characters.

Thanks!

Edited by Filb

If you could provide another dump with the defictive epg, I'll take a closer look at it. :) Even if it's graphical stuff, it shouldn't be visible...

Does it only happen on certain channels or is there no pattern recognizable?

It happens on different channels, but not randomly. Daily shows with the same or similar EPG descriptions have the same error every day.

Here's another one:

「Dr.煎Γ龕が・蟀r起点K東回蠻地球魄貅E各地麟乳類凌焚情娵・楽君語袰忽 第75話E黌胼・

It should look like this:

「Dr.ダーウィン」がアフリカを起点に東回りで地球を一周。各地のほ乳類の進化のふしぎを楽しく語ります。第75話「ウンピョウ」

How do I obtain a dump of the defective EPG?

Edited by Filb

you can program a manual timer (one minute) on a channel with the epg problem and select whole transponder in the timer dialog.

BTW a single E means not recognized char/word/symbol

I had rewritten the Arib Decoder (multiple times) and now i suppose it works. We "only" have to clean it up and implement it into the DVBViewer...

@Filb: I suppose this is the first line of the conversation inside the Pokemon stream you provided us :)

(190, 239) はなうた

(170, 299) (鼻歌)

Christian

Wow, nice! Yes, that's the first line. :) And you even got the small Furigana above, cool.

I found this list of graphical characters: http://www.dkuug.dk/.../docs/n3341.pdf (for both ARIB and UCS codes)

And this site: http://sites.google....e-mapping-table (which has UCS codes for ALL characters, but probably not recommended, because: "This table maps to many Unicode code points for proposed, not-yet-encoded characters.")

Hope that helps!

Edited by Filb