Ads automatically recognised

anotherulrich

Hi, just an idea: Mainconcept claims that their PVR automatically recognises advertising - I believe that would be a nice-to-have with our recorder, as well - there are many posts in the forum about cutting-off the ads - why not included this in the recording phase, i.e. the viewer does not record during advertising.

Would this be difficult to achieve?

What do you think?

Ulrich

Would this be difficult to achieve?

Yes, quite difficult.

First, cutting video on the fly requires manipulations of the MPEG2 structure that come close to re-encoding parts of it. I'm sure that MainConcept has this knowledge, but nobody of the DVBViewer staff is able to program something like that (up to now...). That's why the Pause function of the DVBViewer's Recorder Control Window will be kicked in the R4, since it mostly leads to a corrupted file structure at this point, and will be replaced by a 'Split Now' button, that gives better results.

Secondly, there are methods to detect ads automatically, but none of them works reliably, and I doubt that the MainConcept method does. Furthermore, if there was a reliable method, the TV stations would do their best to disable it - it's clear that they don't want something like that.

Christian already did some researches in this respect, but without a practical result.

Griga

OK, understood. And I haven't tried the Mainconcept version (yet?) so I don't know how well that works.

But as an idea: maybe it would be a good start to work on movies with ac3 - as I understand, ads do not come with ac3 and that way advertising would easily be identifiable (didn't say it's easy to implement). Maybe DVBViewer could write a seperate txt-file that tells when ads start/end that would make the cutting process much easier...but maybe that's not such good of an idea as one still would need to cut manually - unless we could convince someone to write a program that could handle that part of the process based on the seperate txt-file?!

What do you think?

Ulrich

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hackbart

the main concept behind searching advertisments was based on a couple of checks. First you test audio and video changings (commercials are normally louder), second you could check if the logo is still there (you have to find all edges of an image). There are a couple of more things which might allow proper detection of breaks. Anyhow the broadcasters are sometimes cheating with one really handy criteria: Aspectratio of movies. Best example Vox (Oliver mentioned this a few days ago). From one frame to another they simply changed the video resolution.

Christian

Guest Lars_MQ

hi everybody!

this is my first post here so please be gentle, if I make a mistake ;-)

There is a solution für "ad-cutting" and it's working quite nice. It's the open source noad program from the vdr on linux. it's based mainly on logo recognition and it's not realtime, it's offline but it's fast, I use it every day with my main tv-machine. it's astounding how accurate it works...

Maybe it will help, you will find it there: http://www.freepgs.com/noad/

or in the forum of vdr www.vdrportal.de.

I have just ordered my copy of DVBViewer 20 minutes ago, from what I've read and seen, I think it's really nice and usefull. well I must confess I'm looking for something similar to vdr on windows but I think I can get used to DVBViewer :-)

greetings

lars

Guest hackbart

a similiar thing which was the reason for me to start further investigations on detecting those advertisments was the following paper:

http://home.arcor.de/andreas.regel/files/S...udienarbeit.pdf

It's quite informative and easy to understand. Unluckily i did not realized a real time plugin to solve these recording issues. Maybe after i finished my final thesis at the university..

Christian