"DirectX Custom", "VMR9 Custom" and "EVR Cust

ter9999

I used the "EVR Custom" in my 64-bit Windows 7. I found: during switching between channels, the picture will still until the next channel is tuned/displayed. Also, in the "EVR renderer (Custom) properties" windows, the "Average frame rate achieved" is always 0.00 instead of the 50.00/59.97 dispayed when using "EVR Renderer". Furthermore, using "EVR Custom", the residual lines at the 4 sides of the screen when zooming is gone.

I have following questions:

1. Is that proper to have "Average frame rate achieved" always 0.00? I installed all the latest online updates for DirectX packages.

2. You said in the change log there is possibility to use "Shaders", but I can't find anywhere to set "Shaders" and "Renderer settings" as we can see in the latest MPC-HC, please see below snapshots:

0910051705a254e6cc11057e60.jpg

09100517050d9166a634887f6b.jpg

Do you want to add the "Shader" submenu in your next beta release? Also, I think the "Output Range" in "Renderer settings" is very useful for HTPC users as in MPC-HC (this option is important, because image will become whiter when using EVR Custom than EVR!), hope we can see these "Render settings" in DVBViewer.

Best regards.

Edited by ter9999
Do you want to add the "Shader" submenu in your next beta release?

Shaders should be under 'View' menu within DVBViewer if they are placed in the Shaders folder within the DVBViewer directory.

Output range could also be changed via shaders (in fact, I think with MPC-HC, also a shader gets active if you activate it under 'Renderer Settings'). Unfortunately DVBViewer is not yet prepared for latest shaders as can be found within the MPC-HC package. Most currently supported shaders are pretty useless...

It would also be cool to be able to chain several shaders together, like 0 -> 255, YV12 Chroma Upsampling and a sharpener. However, the task of the current beta is to gather information about how the different Custom Presenters perform with different configurations.

1. Is that proper to have "Average frame rate achieved" always 0.00?

The statistics interface is not yet (?) fed in case of EVR Custom.

Edited by CiNcH

Thanks for the quick reply.

Then I have to say, the image looks whiter when using "EVR Custom" than "EVR". In MPC-HC, I always set the "output range" to 0~255 to let the EVR Custom behave the same as EVR. Unless some workaround can be provided in DVBViewer, I think it's not proper to use "EVR Custom", because it give out wrong luminance range. Don't know if chrome range is also set wrong to 16~235 by EVR Custom render.

Yes, it's definitely cool to allow some shaders to work together just like MPC-HC can do. Most desirable is to have a similar submenu to allow user to multi choose them to work together instead of put some shader files in a Directory. Or for now where can we get the DVBViewer usable shader files?

My opinion is that we are not quite there. DirectX is pretty complex and it needs quite some experience to get good results. You should not yet use this in a production system. So no need for shaders yet. Just tell us how it performs for you, your system, your graphics card a.s.o. Tell us which displays you use, resolution, refresh rate,... Best is to try some channels with a ticker and tell us how smooth they are. Just things like that would help us most. Do not treat it as final... Fancy stuff will follow...

Edited by CiNcH
Not in the Context menu. Main menu > View > Shaders.

Thanks! Better to add in the context menu, it will be more clear to apply and see these shaders in larger image, especially in full screen. :(

My opinion is that we are not quite there. DirectX is pretty complex and it needs quite some experience to get good results. You should not yet use this in a production system. So no need for shaders yet. Just tell us how it performs for you, your system, your graphics card a.s.o. Tell us which displays you use, resolution, refresh rate,... Best is to try some channels with a ticker and tell us how smooth they are. Just things like that would help us most. Do not treat it as final... Fancy stuff will follow...

Nvidia 820 on board graphics. Athlon 64 5000+ Dual Core 2.6Hhz: Windows 7 (32bit) 2 gig Ram

Good news is for the first time I can use transparency in OSD using custom renderer (directx) smooth, with no stutter, compared to the VMR9 Hell that used to produce a jerky torn mess

Bad news is my cpu now runs at %33 instead of %7-10 using overlay.

This in 1920x1080p/i 50hz refresh,

Just read Cinch's other post re: DVXA not being used under Direct x , which of course now explains the spike in my CPU.

So it appears not to have made much of a difference for me.

Cinch, I appear to have the setup you want to test. PM me if you want, with instructions and I'll test anything you can think of.

Edited by Kuni
Just read Cinch's other post re: DVXA not being used under Direct x , which of course now explains the spike in my CPU.

DXVA works with both Custom Presenters (EVR and VMR). It just won't work with the DirectX Renderer, as named within DVBViewer, because it even features an own allocator which does not and will not support the DXVA API's.

DXVA works with both Custom Presenters (EVR and VMR). It just won't work with the DirectX Renderer, as named within DVBViewer, because it even features an own allocator which does not and will not support the DXVA API's.

Thanks,

For some reason EVR and VMR, (both custom and normal), are just as bad as before. Which confuses me.

Well stay confused, you obviously don't have any interesst to improve this stuff... :biggrin: To be honest, I don't have use and time for people who obviously are not interessted in improving the program. If you're only in for the "it's new" thingy forget it and use the release version.

Positive feedback does not need many informations and is of course welcome. Negative feedback is even more welcome, if it is productive and delivered with a way to reproduce the problems and fix them. A "are just as bad as before." will be ignored and only used as a reason for a ranting. :)

BTW Thread closed. USE the beta thread as you were asked..