DVB-subtitling ?

pede

Is there going to be support for DVB-subtitling (not teletext subtitling) implemented in the DVBViewer any time soon?

I might get a Technisat Airstar DVB-T card to accompany my SS2 card. However, the Public Service Broadcaster in Finland subtitles programs using DVB-subtitles. English language programs are not a problem, but in a documetary from Afganistan, interviews in the pashtu and dari languages, which are subtitled, pose a problem.

Since satellite channels mainly use teletext subtitles, this issue is not (yet?) a problem for those broadcasts.

Thank you in advance for any comments.

---------------

I know that Hauppage is working on the DVB-subtitles, since some of their beta softaware for their DVB-T card has this feature, which, however, doesn't work properly yet. For the Nebula DVB-T card the feature works in their propritary software for the Nebula card.

Guest Oliver

Some time ago there has been a correspondend thread on the Offeryn-board. Do you have the matching link? I didn't succeed in finding it. There have been some interesting information in it.

Bye, Oliver

Guest Oliver

Ah, thank you. Here is the passage with the links you mentioned:

The discussion here: http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/vdr/20...3/msg00380.html  goes way over my head, but I understand that the difference in teletext subtitles and dvb-subtitles and how to implement recording dvb-subtitles is discussed for the linux VDR prog.

EDIT:

Actually here is a description, which also mentions  open or overlay (burnt in) subtitles and teletext subtitles.

http://www.softel.co.uk/downloads/DVB_Subt...titling_FAQ.pdf

I'm  using a Nebula DVB-t card to do the capturing, and the captured file does include the dvb-text,

What format does the Nebula use for recording? MPEG2-program stream or transport stream? The DVBViewer and the VRP are able to record the full TS, therefore it should be generally possible.

Bye, Oliver

nebula records ts. with the software you can decide whether you want subtitles when viewing live or not. you can separately also decide whether you want dvb-t subs to be included in the recording. when you watch a recorded ts mpeg with the software you can also decide whether you want to watch the subs or not. flexible!

(you can also record the complete transport stream from a mux wit the Nebula software, and then later watch any of the channels in the mux)

the only thing which is not optimal in the nebula-software is that you cannot specify subs per channel. in most dvb-t stb:s, at least on the Finnish market, you can specify the language for subs per channel, which is helpful, since most channels have Finnish subs but one is a Swedish language channel that has subs in Swedish. For the stb:s this means that you dont have to go to the settings/menus when you zap channels. On the Nebukla software you need to go to general language settings, if you want to have different subs language on one channel.

If DVBViewer incorporates dvb-subs support, please also have a per channel language setting. I believe that coming from a satellite channel background this is learer than for Nebula who work in a one language broadcast enviroment.

But Oliver, how about the possible support? any plans? any rough estimate on when this possibly would be on the agenda for the author?

To my understanding the dvb-subtitling is coming to other countries terrestial networks as well before too long.

Edited by pede
Guest Oliver
(you can also record the complete transport stream from a mux wit the Nebula software, and then later watch any of the channels in the mux)

That will be possible with the coming R4 release and Griga's new VRP & TS-player.

If the subtitles are broadcasted with a separate PID, it is no problem to record the transport stream with the Videorecorder Plugin.

That's one aspect, but what about displaying the text while watching?

Bye, Oliver

If the subtitles are broadcasted with a separate PID, it is no problem to record the transport stream with the Videorecorder Plugin.

Griga

Yes, the pdf link referred to explains how they are transmitted.

good, but how about displaying them? :angry: