What is VMR rendering

rapper

VMR, video mixing render. I want to ask what is VMR, and how it functions.

Is it a fast rendering system? And why OSD subtitles are available only when VMR is active??? Which is best Windows XP vmr, or VMR9 (directX 9 vmr)

So any explanations would be welcome :wub:

Guest DAvenger
In terms of both performance and breadth of features, the Video Mixing Renderer (VMR) filter represents the next generation in video rendering on the Windows platform. The VMR replaces the Overlay Mixer and Video Renderer, and adds many new mixing features.

The VMR was first made available for the Windows XP platforms only. Beginning with DirectX 9.0, a separate version of the VMR, called the VMR-9, is available for redistribution on all platforms supported by DirectX. The two VMR filters are very similar in their implementation and the interfaces that they expose. The primary difference is that the original VMR (now called the VMR-7) uses DirectDraw 7 internally to control the video hardware, while the new version of VMR (called the VMR-9) uses Direct3D 9.

Thanks Gioxy :arrow:

I have noticed some incompatibility problems of VMR, which affect Intervideo and Cyberlink. For me the only codec that works with both windowsxp-VMR adn VMR9 is nVidia. All the others fail :wub:

Can anyone explain to me, why does this happen???

How we can guess? :wub:

You don't give us any detail to reason about...

However, take in mind that the components involved in this kind of problem are, at least:

• video card driver (updated ones generally work better, but beware beta version! ...and most important, is really the right driver for your card? beware "strange" and "unsigned" and "too cheap" video card!)
  • DirectX version (...is everithing correct in DxDiag? Are your video driver WHQL certified? I suggest to reinstall DX over every time you change the video driver, filters or any other thing that is related with visualization)
  • version and completeness of the various DirectShow filter's installation
  • "healt" of the DirectShow's merit tree
  • of course, all the filter's related settings in the register...

Cheers

Gioxy

Edited by Gioxy