Playing Live TV HD at 1080p picture corruption

Xtro

My system is as follows:

AMD64 4800+, ATI 2400 Pro 256mb, DFI nForce 4 SLI motherboard, Windows 7 x64

I use 1080p @60hz default resolution, normal SD broadcast work very good, but when switching to a HDTV channel I get screen corruption, stutter and then lost image. I have tried a lot of codecs, the only ones that work 100% are software based, like CoreAVC, arcsoft and Divx 7, but my CPU is running 100% with them and picture slows down or cuts. With DXVA acceleration I tried MS DVB codec that seems to work correct when DVBViewer is running in Window, but in Full Screen quickly I get corrupted picture. If I try lower resolution like 1366x768 or 1280x720 DXVA codecs work OK. I have read here the problems of ATI with BBC HD, but don't think this is the same issue, what should be? Lack of VRAM or memory bandwith? Can I try something before purchasing a new GFX card?

Also I have noticed when I record HDTV streams that picture stutter and audio losts sync if that means something.

Playing 1080p media (mkv, avis and so) from DVBViewer is OK.

I cannot edit the previous post so I do a new one... I am using right now ArcSoft Codec with enabled DXVA and it works very decently, no picture corruption but some frames dropped (I'm getting 43 fps instead of 50). The problem is I have always to enable DXVA from the filters menu. How can I save so always starts the codec with my config?

Also will a nvidia card solve all my problems with HDTV channels? Wich one is the best for this matter in low range (I preffer passive cooling)

Edited by Xtro

Is this an AGP 2400 ATi? Some of those have a 64-Bit memory interface which I remember caused the trouble you mentioned in the early days of full H.264 decoding with ATi.

It is PCIe but I think also 64-bit memory. Anyway playing 1080p mkv is perfect, the problem is with DVBViewer and HDTV channels (not all of them). I will try with DVBDream, but it was buggy as hell last time I checked.

Anyway playing 1080p mkv is perfect, the problem is with DVBViewer and HDTV channels (not all of them).

I remember now the problem was deinterlacing 1080i. The 64-Bit memory interface was not enough to perform VA deinterlacing. Try setting deinterlacing within CCC to BOB. You can also try to completely disable VA Deinterlacing, e.g. with CyberLink, if you set Deinterlacing to 'Weave' within the CyberLink decoder properties if the Deinterlacing slider within CCC does not do the jop.

I have done that, and it actually works OK with ArcSoft decoder, my main problem now is to keep the settings of ArcSoft Decoder within DVBViewer. I have to activate DXVA each time I start DVBViewer, do I have to edit Windows Registry for the settings to be kept?

OK, problem solved, I uninstalled all codecs I had and installed a codec pack called HDPACK 2.2 for DVB and now I have a working ArcSoft Decoder with full DXVA. Anyway I'll keep my card at the moment but I will need to change it, it is at her limit for displaying FullHD interlaced.

Thank you very much, so it's clear my 2400 Pro doesn't have enough memory bandwith to handle 1080i correctly, I will try to overclock mem in the mean time. I was going to purchase an nVidia 210 but I see the memory is the same I have now, maybe I will wait for ATI 53xx or 54xx