How can I use dvbviewer on WAN (via internet)

richB

Hi,

I can see that a LAN module is available, is there any WAN module available, I'd like to stream and watch channels through internet ?

If not, how can I stream channel through the internet knowing that I don't have WDM drivers (only BDA) which enable to use windows media encoder or VLC.

Thanks in advance for helping.

Edited by richB
Hi,

I can see that a LAN module is available, is there any WAN module available, I'd like to stream and watch channels through internet ?

If not, how can I stream channel through the internet knowing that I don't have WDM drivers (only BDA) which enable to use windows media encoder or VLC.

Thanks in advance for helping.

I am not shure what you are talking about WAN or LAN modules, but i can say that DVBViewer has a Recording Service program that works together with DVBViewer.

If you install this, and configure it properly, you can access this through the internet, and view or record the same programs you have in your home. But you have to configure DVBViewer Recording Service, your FireWall and your Router properly to get it to work.

On the Client side it is preferable to have DVBViewer.

I am not shure what you are talking about WAN or LAN modules, but i can say that DVBViewer has a Recording Service program that works together with DVBViewer.

If you install this, and configure it properly, you can access this through the internet, and view or record the same programs you have in your home. But you have to configure DVBViewer Recording Service, your FireWall and your Router properly to get it to work.

On the Client side it is preferable to have DVBViewer.

Thank you, I only aim at watching streamed channels from a different location and PC. The location is not on a local network (LAN) but is connected to internet (WAN).

So I understand the recording service offers this option but I can't find any tutorial after long search on the board.........

Thanks Tjod,

One last question : I can see that I need VLC to transcode the flow into a smaller one to broadcast over internet (My upload bandwith is too small / 1mb).

The problem is that VLC won't recognize my Skystard HD2 card because it only comes along with Bda drivers, not WDM drivers. Does that matter or not with the use of DVBViewer ?

VLC won't recognize my Skystard HD2
No, it doesn't matter because the basic work with your card is done by DVBViewer and his filter; of VLC is used only the Server part to stream over LAN/WAN and optionally to transcode...

Take care to install ONLY the indicated VLC version, the 0.8.6i, otherwise it won't stream at all!

;)

I'd like some help with this.

I installed VLC 0.8.6i together with recording service.

When I try to stream something it doesn't connect locally or from the internet no matter what settings I try.

Could anyone help me getting this to work? Really appreciated. ;)

You mean switch L and R channels or different language/encoding? Anyhow, AFAIK it's not possbile, but in the latters cases probably you can solve multipling the "affected" channels, one for each audio type, so you can previously (or even after, from the drop-down menu...) choose the desired one...

;)

Edited by Gioxy

So if i understand this right:

If you are using VLC you can cope with low bandwidth, but this is not possible with DVBViewer as a client?

If you use DVBViewer, as a client, you can do all the same things you can do on your local network/PC with DVBViewer?

So if you have sufficient upload bandwith, it is preferrably to use DVBViewer?

Did i understand all this right?

Second:

If i need to use VLC, can i change channels on the Recording Service Server from VLC. Can i start recordings from it?

I am asking, because i am going to Italy this summer, and i want use my Recording Service PC located in Denmark

If you are using VLC you can cope with low bandwidth, but this is not possible with DVBViewer as a client?
Only DVBViewer can be a *real* Recording Service "controlling" client but AFAIK not across Internet; you have to use instead VLC or either (but for me it doesn't work) MSMediaPlayer as a viewer over Internet, then you can control the Recording Service via his web interface... but to understand better this config a try is worth much more than 1000 words (even if only inside your LAN)...

If you use DVBViewer, as a client, you can do all the same things you can do on your local network/PC with DVBViewer?
Again, AFAIK you can't use DVBViewer as a "controlling" client over Internet... but I can be wrong and that's surely worth a try...

If i need to use VLC, can i change channels on the Recording Service Server from VLC. Can i start recordings from it?
Sure, and also program timers and see you remote recording and so on, but not from VLC (it is only a viewer): as told above you have to use the Recording Service web intetrface...

i am going to Italy this summer
so luckily you have plenty of time to try ;)

;)

It should be possible because everything is controlled trough IP. If all is controlled through IP, it should be transparent to DVBViewer where the server is located. OF course this requires that all the neccesary ports are forwarded in the router, where Recording Servise are located.

But as you said: I have a lot of time to test it :)

Hi,

I've tried to reproduce the wiipedia tutorial and this I'm blocked at the stage of "autodiscovering server list" in unicast set-up ==> nothing at all in the window !

MAy someone help ? thanx

Here I am wıth another questıon o:)

I've added a channels to the channellıst wıth the 2nd track as Audıo PID.

It plays fıne ın DVBVıewer, but I can't fınd the channel ın the web UI. How do I ''update'' the channellıst of the DVB Server?

Hi all,

I've succeeding in recover a stream with VLC as a client through internet. I'm transcoding the flow to 259kb/s due to my milited upload bandwith.

But I have a last issue : I open the stream with VLC and can see the stream for 2 seconds only, then the window closed and display VLC toolbar......

All port are opened on both my router and XP (TCP & UDP), I have checked everything and can't find why the stream lasts only 2 secs.......

Thanks for your help.

nb : it seems that with a "direct stream" the window does not close-up but off course picture is black for a long time before displaying the stream picture by picture due to my limited upload bandwith.

@RenkliArif:

How do I ''update'' the channellıst of the DVB Server?
Try stopping & restarting the Recording Service; also check if in the Recording Service Web Interface menu "Configuration" the "Show channels without EPG" is checked...

;)

@richB:

I'm transcoding the flow to 259kb/s due to my milited upload bandwith.
What is your upload bandwith? (maybe 259Kb/s is too much: as far as I can see this value is a mean, not the maximum limit...)

Which transcoding options have you choosed?

Have you already tested this settings over your LAN? (to be sure that the server part is working ok...)

it seems that with a "direct stream"...
"direct stream" doesn't transcode at all, it's use is intended only over a local LAN... unless you have at least 4-5Mb/s on upload :)

;)

@richB:

What is your upload bandwith? (maybe 259Kb/s is too much: as far as I can see this value is a mean, not the maximum limit...)

Which transcoding options have you choosed?

Have you already tested this settings over your LAN? (to be sure that the server part is working ok...)

"direct stream" doesn't transcode at all, it's use is intended only over a local LAN... unless you have at least 4-5Mb/s on upload :)

;)

Hi Gioxy,

Over LAN, I tried both transcoding and direct stream and it works great.

Over WAN (internet), It fails after 2 sec and my upload bandwith is fine ( 1MB/sec of total uplaod bandwith and I select 64 ko/sec for video with transcoding and 16ko/Sec for audio). I get the message from VLC "PTS out of range, dropping buffer....."

So I really don't know where the issue comes from....

64 ko/sec for video with transcoding and 16ko/Sec for audio
So a total 80Kb/s...??? ;)

...but above all: what container/encoders are you using?

Please try with the following setting (carefully set ALL them!) and tell us if they are working for you:

post-485-1260834443_thumb.png

:)

So a total 80Kb/s...??? ;)

...but above all: what container/encoders are you using?

Please try with the following setting (carefully set ALL them!) and tell us if they are working for you:

post-485-1260834443_thumb.png

trancoding from mpeg2 to Mpeg4 will be very CPU consuming for my PC, I can only keep the mpeg2.

I've been using wondow media encoder 9 for years and I've never has problems, using up to 800 kb/sec in mpeg2.

trancoding from mpeg2 to Mpeg4 will be very CPU consuming for my PC
;) Are you really tested it? On my AMD 2400+ (a old 2MHz single proc) it took less than 30% CPU power (of course for SD TV...)

Are you using the mandatory VLC version on you Recording Service PC (v. 0.8.6i)?

I've been using wondow media encoder 9 for years and I've never has problems, using up to 800 kb/sec in mpeg2
800Kb/s? ...less compression = less CPU consumption...

Hi all,

I have at last succeeding in making work the wan stream with recording services trough the web interface.

My connection was too slow and unstable at the time I tested it.

I'm now able to view channel with a 512Kb/sec bitrate of video. (low value for audio) with mpeg2 or Mpeg4 compression.(same result)

Thanks for helping.