How to stream to VLC/Popcorn Hour?

djon

There are so many old threads that pop up about multicast, net stream and other no longer relevant plugins when you google to find out how to stream from DVBViewer Pro. Even the manual and wiki talks about multicast which hasn't been available for download for 1+ year.

I just bought DVBViewer Pro and would like to stream to my Popcorn Hour and also to a VLC on another PC in the network. I would like to be able to change channels as well.

The only thing I found working so far is the Recording Service.Here I can stream, but not change channels.

The DVBViewer Server I have no idea how to get to work. No matter what I do, the client's connected to it, doesn't do anything.

Can someone please help me in achieving streaming? What program/plugin do I use and what are the settings for it?

If you use the recording service you can

-stream through the webinterface to clients like vlc/wmp (compressed(trancoded) and uncompressed)

-stream via upnp to upnp clients(popcorn hour,ps3,xbox360,etc.)

-stream to other DVBViewer Clients. Here you can change channels and so on via a unicast dvb device. It pretty much no difference to a DVBViewer Client on a pc with a physical dvb card.

YOu can find the wiki here: http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Category:DVBVi...cording_Service

Edited by desweil

Ok, so to change channels on another PC, I need to install a DVBViewer Client and not use VLC? With VLC I can't figure out how to change channels. I can use the .m3u file that the recording service makes when you start a stream but this will not allow me to change channels.

I guess the same question goes for my XBMC in my living room. How to change channels without having to do it from the DVBViewer PC that does the streaming? If it isn't possible, please do tell me this as well, so I wont have to tear any more hair out :-)

Via VLC you can not change channels. You can however change channels via the webinterface. But if you have a windows client then just use the DVBViewer client. You do not need a second license as long as it is in your own house and for private use. So I don't know why you want to use VLC instead.

XBMC can be a UPNP client of the recording server. You can not change channels that easily I think, because every channel is shown as one UPNP "file". So "zapping" via up down is not possible I think. Just google for DVBViewer and xbmc or search in this forum.

I can't seem to zap. I followed these:

1. Download and unzip the attached archive into your previously created share on your windows PC.

2. Open DVBViewer.html and replace {your server} and {your windows share name} with the data from your windows PC (examples: 192.168.1.7:DVBViewer or myPC:myShare).

3. Open script.cgi and replace {your server} and {your sharename} with the apropriate names. On Vista you may have to replace username=guest with username=root and if your share is read/write you may also need to replace ",ro" with ",rw".

4. Open the DVBViewer.html on your Popi and press enter. You should see a message "Lircbeamer started on your popi...". Now you can select a channel in the DVBViewer pages and switch up and down with the up/down keys.

And then I go back to sources and press DVBViewer (SERVER)

I can then enter my channel list and select a channel and it starts playing, but when pressing up or down on the rmeote nothing happens. I have to go back to the channel menu and select a new one.

Any ideas?

Edited by djon