Which codecs pack or others?

Fabien44

Hello,

question in in title.

I am running with XP SP3, i watch DVB-T Mpeg2 & H264.

I plan to use CoreAVC for H264 but for other formats codecs/conteners (Divx, AVI, MKV, ...), do you recommand to install what codecs? (within a pack, if yes which one?)

Thanks

NO codec pack!!! Use ffdshow. It includes pretty much all codecs you will ever need. Then Haali media splitter for MKV and maybe ac3filter for sound. Thats it.(besides your coreavc)

I used FFDSHOW for years until the change logs stopped and it seemed to be permanently in beta without a stable release. I would guess it works well though, since it is still the only really recommended codec installation. I got hold of XP Codec Pack for convenience and for some of the useful tools it comes with.

I've been using the KMPlayer for most media playback however, because it has its own internal codecs and works reliably and is highly customizable (like DVBViewer!).

I think you refer to the original FFDShow project, dead some years ago; but after that has come out another project called FFDShow tryouts and we all refer to this one...

As the programmers say in the project home page:

What is ffdshow tryouts?

ffdshow tryouts is a DirectShow and Video for Windows codec with support for a wide range of audio and video formats, such as Xvid, DivX, and H.264. It includes a powerful filter set that can enhance the video quality - with filters for resizing, deinterlacing, and displaying subtitles - as well as audio quality through normalization, down-/upmixing, and resampling.

ffdshow + X = ffdshow tryouts

The ffdshow tryouts project is a fork of the original ffdshow project. This fork was created by a group of members at Doom9.org. The last modification to the source code of the original project was done back in May 2006. The ffdshow tryouts project has continued where the original project stopped: Numerous bugs have been fixed, lots of code (that ffdshow borrows from the FFmpeg project) has been updated, new features have been added as well as support for new formats.

The only drawback is that not all modern GPU accelerations are supported in all format, but despite this it works very well and have a huge list of postprcessing options, so sure it's well worth an installation...

Anyway beware of Codecs-Pack! They easily can upset completely (and sometime irreparably) the whole DirectX...

;)