File Conversion TS To AVI

Technomannz

I'm relatively new to all this. Maybe there's an answer somewhere in this forum but I''ve searched extensively and can't seem to find the answer.

I'm successfully using DVBViewer and I can record programs. Could do with a tweak of one or two features but that's not my main concern right now.

I want to preserve some digital tv recordings for future use, and I'vve been trying to convert the ts files to other frmats to save disk space. My preference is to convert to FLV but as a stepping stone I thought I'd try to convert to AVI. I've tried a free software called Format Factory, as well as Nero, and various shareware type programs like

4Media, Avisoft, 4Easisoft, AVS Video Editor, Easy MPEG To AVI Converter, Elecard, HDTV To MPEG Convertrer,

MPEG Converter, MPEG Streamclip, Ojosoft Video Converter, ProjectX, Smartsoft Video Converter,

Speedy Vdeo Converter, TS Converter Ultimate, TS Video Converter, Videocleaner, VirtualDub, and a few more.

Most of the programs I've tried will save a file in AVI format, but in all cases when they do the video is fine, but there is absolutely no sound.

I only wish to preserve the AV file; I do not want to save the teletext or other embedded digital information.

Am I missing something here? Does anyone know of a simple program that will do this job for me? I do not need to edit the ts file; I have software that edits AVI files so I can then trim by chopping commercials etc.

I've even tried resetting the DVBViewer to record in mpg fprmat instead of TS format, but that doesn't do any5hing either, and in fact some of the programs that can handle the ts file won't read the mpg file.

I'm pretty sure I've downloaded and installed all necessary codecs vis ffdshow and a pack called Combined Community Codec Pack which I installed last night which came through Videocleaner associated limks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Technomannz

Many of all these programs listed by you are good enough - meaning you are missing definitely something. Meanwhile, let me add another program to your already exhaustive list. Give a try to "AVIDEMUX"...freeware ofcourse.

Thank you. I am currently trying AutoGK. It will recognise the file and load it, but when I try to preview it or to do the job, it tells me that it could not find any video header.

Yet I can play the file in DVBViewer or even VLC Media player.

How would I find the video header?

Technomannz

I've just tried MCEBuddy as well.

I thought I got it working OK - file type *.*, source folder on my desktop, destination folder on my second hard drive, no second conversion.

Press start and...yes it's converting. It's only a 47MB source file so the conversion doesn't take long.

I enthusiastically went to the destination folder and.....the folder is empty.

I performed a Windowes search for all files created today on my computer - no video file came up.

So where would the destination file have gone?

Help appreciated.

Technomannz :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you. I am currently trying AutoGK. It will recognise the file and load it, but when I try to preview it or to do the job, it tells me that it could not find any video header.

Yet I can play the file in DVBViewer or even VLC Media player.

How would I find the video header?

Technomannz

Hmm, I have never had such problems. But I have one suggestion. Cut out the first few seconds of the recording with for example ProjectX and try AutoGK again. Maybe there are a few encrypted frames at the beginning of the recording?

Thank you all for your suggestions so far. I am still trying to find a solution. In the mean time I've found trhat using the Convert/Save feature of VLC media player and saving to WMVA format, with the paramaters set to ASF, H264 video and MP3 audio will convert a file that I can see and hear, but the screen format changes - often a 16:9 video is squashed in; that's ok though, because VLC allows me to change it to 4:3 or 16:9.

It's not a perfect solution because the result is saved as a .ps file and I can't edit it using other software.

Also, I recently downloaded the DVBViewer recording service, and I notice that VLC cant read the files the recording service records (I've sent in aseperate post about this.)

So any suggestion welcom.e

Technomannz