IPhone/IPod touch support

Lars_MQ

Lars found something in my wireshark dump and asked me to remove the password for the useraccount in the webinterface which worked really well. When using the useraccount with an empty password the stream runs smooth without any stop ;)

Seems like 18639 works best, with this revision the stream runs smooth compared to using a newer revision (r21845) which seems to buffer once in a while when watching the stream.

So try the stream without a password on the useraccount of the webinterface and see if the stream works better then!

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lars_MQ

• aht961

• Bossmann

• ml 05019

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok, I think, I found the solution. It seems the ts streams must also be without authentification. I test a little bit more and upload an update.

Version .87 is in the membersarea, it will works with activated authentification. It doesn't require a authentification for the iphone playlist and the ts-streaming files. Should not pose a security risc because you can get to the streaming part only if you request it as an authentificated user.

Big "thank you" to all of you, especially @duja who actually gave the important hint (means wireshark data), which gave me the idea, whats wrong.

Sometimes the "small" things do matter. I simply disabled the authentification because it was very annoying while developping and debugging...

Thank you. This probably explains my other post where I have informed that logging is not functioning any more after .85, however, nobody has answered. I understand know you have done it on purpose? It is probably why the streaming without overclocking worked thereafter since I could stream without using the user account. Am I correct?

I am not aware of any changes for the logging part, maybe you disabled the upnp logging?

If something went past me without noticing I appologize but there is so much to keep track in the forum, it's sometimes hard to keep an eye on everything ;)

No problem. I am a little bit confused now. I mean logging to the webinterface as well as RC configuration via the tray. In neither of them I could change my username/password, even though I manage to save it, next time it is back to the dafault admin. In addition, I cannot change the number of clients. Earlier I had 5, now it is at its default value 1. Is my config file corrupted or is it on purpose for testing? Very short answer will be sufficient, thanks.

ps: by logging, I am sorry, I meant authentication ;)

Edited by aht961

I didn't change anything in this area. Clients count is not touched in any case and I changed the username/passwort in my installation without problem. Which browser are you using? Maybe renaming your [configfolder]/config/service.xml to something else does help (if it has become corrupt)...

I have deleted/renamed. It does not help. Could you please post the variables (xml tags) for the authentication part username/password so I could enter them in the service.xml file manually. I do not understand why is this happening ;) ps: it may be due to firefox which I used on the server side. On the clients I use Safari, though. I will check it.

Edited by aht961

I thought it was, but the svcuserdata.xml page was entirely empty. I dit check it know: With safari, the proper tags are written to the file, however, firefox erases everything and cannot write it. I am learning...why not firefox, though? ;)

Edited by aht961

I discovered a issue which is pretty annoying.

If you stream to the iphone on channel A and press the Homebutton

to do something then the stream continues, which is ok. But if you go

in again and start a stream on another channel it wont work because

the first stream is using the tv-card (i just have 1 tv-card).

I have tried different ways to kill the first stream, start a stream on the

same channel (channel A) and stop the stream..

Could you add the ongoing streams to iphone devices on the statuspage

with a killbutton for every stream?

/D

I second this. If Safari crashes on iPhone due to low memory, battery etc, there should be some fast way to kill the stream which wasn't stopped properly. Some indication in the iPhone webinterface, or, maybe, you could add a command for it on the PC itself, in the tray menu of RS?

Because, if I understand it right, there's now only one way to see that there's an active stream - that is, to look in Task manager on PC

Edited by ml 05019
Some indication in the iPhone webinterface, or, maybe, you could add a command for it on the PC itself, in the tray menu of RS?

Not in the tray app. But in the webinterface that way I have to implement it only one time. :)

In order to be of some assistance, I have decided to help Lars with the hard work at least a bit. Therefore, attached you will find "add.zip" file where I have added config file (transported from original config.html to iphone outlay and named "iconfig.html") as well as modified index.html (config link and thumbs added) and status.html. Put the folders and the files within to /iphone/ directory.

Included:

- iconfig.html (identical to web interface config.html, you can change the passwords here)

- status.html (added localisation to the titles, and you can see the active clients and the type of the stream)

- index.html (added some nice looking iPhonish thumbs from the iWebkit and added a link to the configuration file)

- thumbs (contains the thumbs mentioned above)

Hope you enjoy! If Lars likes it, probably adds to the next version :)

ps: meanwhile a solution to the above mentioned problem is just to go to the very same channel, start the stream as usual, and then hit the stop stream button. The stream stops and the client is detached.

Edited by aht961

I found an easy solution for those like "duja" and others who are having problems with sticky clients (the stream does not stop if goes back to the home page). Very easy, clean and functions like a charm.

1. Download the following bat file (kill.bat) to your DVBViewer's directory (for those who are not willing to run the bat file, change the extension to .txt check what is in and rewrite it as .bat). This commond line has the following task: taskkill /f /im ffmpeg.exe which will kill the ffmpeg .exe process.

2. Go to the tray and open the "configure" of the recording service and add a new TASK!

3. Give it a name whatever you want (I called mine StopStream), and locate the batfile you placed at your computer (it does not need to be in the DVBViewer directory).

4. Save and you are done. Start the service.

5. Go to your iphone's HOME page, click tasks

6. Hit the StopStream

It is done. Now you don't have your client attached and the ffmpeg has done its job. Choose another channel and start it all over :)

kill.bat.zip

Edited by aht961
If Lars likes it, probably adds to the next version

Looks very nice, I will integrate it. Thank you. :)

- thumbs (contains the thumbs mentioned above)

I have a problem with these. Can we simply use them for our purpose? Are they part of iwebkit and covered by the license or are they part of the demo and if yes, which license does it have... I don't want anyone coming and telling me: "you stole our graphics".

I have a problem with these. Can we simply use them for our purpose?

At their official site (http://iwebkit.net), they say the following:

"WebKit is a file package designed to help you create your own iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad compatible website or webapp".

And I found this as well:

iWebKit is and has always been completly free to use and open-source, making it a good optional add-on to sweeten ipod and iphone deals currently available. The initial goal of the project was to help people with their mobile websites and I think we have succeded; Now if you want to thank us you can support us in 3 simple ways:

- Please keep a link on your iphone website to http://iwebkit.net like the one in the footer.

- For those of you posting on forums and blogs. Please write a little article about the experience you had using iwebkit or just about the existence of it.

- Simply donating a couple of bucks by heading over to our secured paypall page right “here“.

I assume this should not be a problem. In addiiton, the pages have the iwebkit notice at the footer. However, to be on the safer side, you might prefer asking them kindly at: http://iwebkit.net/contact

ps: you're welcome :)

Edited by aht961

Just a little tip to avoid having to enter the Username/Password everytime you start the webinterface fullscreen:

In safari: open the webinterface with: http://[your username]:[your password]@[your ip]:[your port]/iphone/ then add it to the Home Screen. Now it should open without password input. Use this at your own risk!

Sample URL:

User: Admin

Password: Admin

IP: 192.168.0.2

Port: 8080

http://Admin:Admin@192.168.0.2:8080/iphone/

I've uploaded Version .88.

Changes:

- Integrated the webinterface changes by @aht961 (Thanks!)

- Added some logging to the channel thumbnail generation to find out, why they are not generated on some systems.

- Added a Control page, where you can stop streaming processes manually.

Please, can somebody explain how to stream from DVBViewer to iPhone? I just cant get it. A short howto will be very useful. What I need to setup in my computer and how I will see the stream in iPhone. I need some special application to be instaled in iPhone or I can use Safari?

1. This is a good post to start with: http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry244593

Check first that the webinterface of the recording service is running correctly.

2. Pay special attention to this: http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Options_Service_-_Web/UPnP

3. Then download "z Recording Service beta version for iphone web .89" from the members' area (at the bottom of the page under the title "older versions").

4. Then read this: http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry283045 and install Revision 18639 of the ffmpeg.exe

5. Go to your iphone's mobile safari and enter the following URL:

http://your_recording_servers_IP:[port number you have entered in the config page]/iphone

You will see the home page designed for iphone, therafter follow the links. You don't need anything to install at your iphone. The safari will use the Quick time player which is default player for iphone.

I hope this helps. Try it out, and tell where you have problems then it can be sorted other with the help of these people here :bye:

Edited by aht961

Ok, I tried this, but is so complicated. I read all the 10 pages of this topic but seems that here are talking people who already are knowing how to do this. Personally I'm a little frustrated because the only thing I got after an hour of configuring the settings was a BSOD! There a so many ports and I just don't understand what is making everyone of this ports. I put everywhere the same adres of my local network (192.168.2.37) but I don't know how to configure the ports.

I can access the web interface from my computer using (http://127.0.0.1/) as direction in browser but I cant get it from iPhone. If I understand correctly in iPhone I need to introduce http://192.168.2.37:PORT_NUMBER/iphone. The problem is that I don't know what is the PORT_NUMBER I need to enter here. I entered all the ports but no one seems to be ok.

In DVBViewer/Options/RecordingService, if I press "Test Connection" I get only Fail.

I have a tryutil of DVB Service V1.5.0.89 (beta) running. Is this necessary or not?

Also the images from wiki pages are obsoleted. Some of them don't correspond with actual state of software.

If I understand correctly in iPhone I need to introduce http://192.168.2.37:PORT_NUMBER/iphone. The problem is that I don't know what is the PORT_NUMBER I need to enter here. I entered all the ports but no one seems to be ok.

Check the image capture attached. Look at the port indicated with "pink". That is the one you should include in your Safari's URL. E.g in your case: http://192.168.2.37:PORTNO/iphone. In order not to mix up everything, leave all ports at default and the "empty" slots empty!

post-78351-1266944924_thumb.jpg

I have a tryutil of DVB Service V1.5.0.89 (beta) running. Is this necessary or not?

It should be running. Remember also:

1. To disable the tuners through the DVBViewer's Options (DVBViewer client on the very same host PC where the Recording Service is running). Instead choose unicast tuners.

2. Look at the second image where the settings for the server are. Leave everything at default, don't change the ports. Tick the proper options, don't forget to activate the uPnP server!

post-78351-1266944968_thumb.jpg

3. If you are going through the router (WAN => LAN), you should use port forwarding (inbound/outbound)

4. On the client computer (if you need one), you should configure the DVBViewer client by choosing the unicast devices and configuring them. During this you should use the unicast device's properties you have seen in the second image above. If you tick "the automatic detection" and leave the port 600 untouched, the recording service will broadcast itself at your LAN and you should see it when you will be configuring the unicast device at your client DVBViewer.

5. Remember to enter the username/password.

6. When using the webinterface at the same computer where the RS in installed 127.0.0.1 will be enough. If you are using another client computer (iphone, laptop whatever), you should use the IP of your host computer, eg: 192.168.2.37:PORT_NUMBER. This PORT_NUMBER is the same as above indicated with pink.

PS: Images are in Finnish, though :)

Edited by aht961

@aht961: Saludos desde Espana :) Thanks for your detailed informations. I hope will work this way.

"1. To disable the tuners through the DVBViewer's Options (DVBViewer client on the very same host PC where the Recording Service is running). Instead choose unicast tuners."

If I understand correctly, I need to delete "Digital TV Receiver" from DVBViewer/Options/Hardware"?

post-69954-1266952794_thumb.png

"3. If you are going through the router (WAN => LAN), you should use port forwarding (inbound/outbound)".

No, I'm using a plain Ad-Hoc PC-iPhone connection. i can stream content with AirVideo without problems.

This is what looks like in my Opera browser when accessing Recordings menu and clicking on Stream button:

post-69954-1266952248_thumb.png

Nothing happens. I cant see any recorded videos. I need VLC or WindowsMediaPlayer to run or a plugin in browser?

Also about FFMPEG. I extracted all the archive of ffmpeg-18639.7z directly into the root of DVBViewer directory where also I extracted DVBRecordingService_1.5.0.89.zip. I this the correct way to install?

If I understand correctly, I need to delete "Digital TV Receiver" from DVBViewer/Options/Hardware"?

post-69954-1266952794_thumb.png

That is correct. You don't need to delete it just choose "don't use it"

This is what looks like in my Opera browser when accessing Recordings menu and clicking on Stream button:

Yes, it should look like that if you are using the webrowser and VLC. This uses the VLC for streaming, so for this to work you should have a "correct" version (read = older) of VLC installed at your host computer. This has nothing to do with streaming to iphone, as Lars has mentioned in the previous note. This is something you need if you are using a client computer NOT iphone!

Also about FFMPEG. I extracted all the archive of ffmpeg-18639.7z directly into the root of DVBViewer directory where also I extracted DVBRecordingService_1.5.0.89.zip. I this the correct way to install?

Yes. FFmpeg.exe should be in the same directory as recording service and DVBViewer.

If everything is functioning, you should be able to use your iphone's mobile Safari to get connected to: http://YOUR_REC_SERVICE_HOSTS_IP:PORT_MENTIONED_ABOVE/iphone. You don't need to do anything else at your phone. Just click the play button you see at the screen (which will run the movie using the Quick Time).

PS: In addition, apart from iphone, if you have Mac (Os X) client, you can use the very same url as your iphone with your computer's SAFARI browser, you will see the same pages meant for your iphone and integrated Quick Time player. It functions flawlessly (in that case you don't need to bother with VLC either). In fact, I prefer using the safari at my MAC clients to stream via the web interface meant for iphone (instead of MSIE). Just so simple plain and easy :)

Edited by aht961

I cant get the iPhone to see any DVBViewer channels. Developers, please make-it simpler. I'm not a network expert. Please make something the way AirVideo or EyeTV are doing.

Raducoc, puedo ayudarte con Iphone y Recording Service.

También soy español y podemos hablar por e-mail porque no funcionan los privados en este foro.

Un saludo.

PD: sorry for writte in spanish.

OK, it seems I need to remind everyone, what this is all about.

This is mostly a one person (hobby) project. It's not a 79.xx € + 49.xx € for the uPnP part project with lots of money for every major update project like eyetv, which by the way isn't nearly as complex and powerfull as my project recording service and the main project the DVBViewer.

But this power and versability comes with a price: complexity.

I/we try to limit it as much as possible but it is something completly different setting up/maintaining a multituner/multiclient recording/(live)streaming system to setting up a single tuner/ limited client/well defined environment (eyetv/apple) system.

So either you can handle this complexity or you can't. If you can't, stick with something simpler/less powerfull/more useful for you. I don't force anyone to use the recording service :radscorpion:.

Just to make it clear: of course I'm willing to improve and take the project further but sugesstions should cause a benefit for all users and not only very few or they should at least catch my interesst, then some things - not so usual - may be doable, I do this after all for fun... o:)

OK, it seems I need to remind everyone, what this is all about.

This is mostly a one person (hobby) project. It's not a 79.xx € + 49.xx € for the uPnP part project with lots of money for every major update project like eyetv, which by the way isn't nearly as complex and powerfull as my project recording service and the main project the DVBViewer.

But this power and versability comes with a price: complexity.

I/we try to limit it as much as possible but it is something completly different setting up/maintaining a multituner/multiclient recording/(live)streaming system to setting up a single tuner/ limited client/well defined environment (eyetv/apple) system.

So either you can handle this complexity or you can't. If you can't, stick with something simpler/less powerfull/more useful for you. I don't force anyone to use the recording service :radscorpion:.

Just to make it clear: of course I'm willing to improve and take the project further but sugesstions should cause a benefit for all users and not only very few or they should at least catch my interesst, then some things - not so usual - may be doable, I do this after all for fun... o:)

Lars, if you have written this message due to my last reply you are wrong.

I only offer my help to raducoc and tell him that private messages don´t work now in the forum (now P.M. work again).

Your work with Recording Service + Iphone is fantastic for me.

Edited by riviera
Lars, if you have written this message due to my last reply you are wrong.

No, it wasn't an answer to your post. I can't read spanish o:)

It was just a general reminder or explanation how the development of this whole project "recording service" happened. :blush:

Where can i find information about the quality in streams? high, medium and low?

I wonder what the resolution is and total stream in mbits/kbits (video and audio)

Is there any option to tweak or add my own quality?