Top Posters In This Topic

• Lars_MQ

• aht961

• Bossmann

• ml 05019

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I've a stupid question to ask. In members arear I can only find version Version 1.5.0.31 Beta.

Where can I found the latest version for iphone support.

Thank you very much

No, sorry. There are so many things going on ATM, I haven't found the tim to implement it properly... :P

Scroll a little bit further down.

May be I am really blind, but I cannot find it either...

Can someone help me? Thanks, in advance.

Yeah sorry about that. Uploading the new new version took under 1 minute, copying the changelog into the forum took 30 minutes. I don't have to comment this, do I? :P

No, I don't want to "blame" anyone, but it was really frustrating not to find that alpha version. I was just unlucky with the timing. :P

Thanks for the new beta version!

??? Dude it's a webpage. No need to jailbreak or anything. Please DO read the changelog carefully. Everything is explained there.

Sorry i was a bit rush, but I am using Teamviewer... So I have modified my question

You can't use Teamviewer for the iphone feature.

You need mobile Safari and QuickTime on the iphone and the Recording Service and FFmpeg Revision 18639 on the pc.

So Tjod, will this cool feature of the Recording Service only be exclusive for iPhones or are there plans for something similar for the Windows Mobile platform as well? Hope you not forget about us...we are in majority you know :biggrin:

Well let's say: you are better off with the apple hardware, at least in this very special use case. The windows phones are crap if you want to use them this way... You would have to install a 50 MB software of MS and the conversion speed and quality will never be as good as the one for the iphone.

Sorry but somehow I don't get the relation to teamviewer. It's a web-app, just use mobile safari for it...

perhaps I could clarify this question :biggrin:

I'm also using TeamViewer's VPN feature together with RecService - this way, there's no need to configure routers, UPnP, write down IPs and whatever else - it's just plug-and-play. The problem is, the PC streaming over VLC works fine, and iPhone streaming over FFmpeg does not (both on the PC and my iPod if I share the VPN connection with it) - my guess is, it's because TeamViewer does not support UPnP either. And my question is - is there any workaround to get it working?

Edited by ml 05019

Guys, its streaming over the port of the recording service webserver port. Where ist the problem? kick teamview. this is only for remote control. We're talking WEBSTREAMING here... No use for bloated overheads. If you have to watch dirty movies without anyone knowing do it at your home with WPA2 wlan... :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This feature was too cool to resist...i finally dumped my old winmobile and bought an iPhone 3GS. It works really good right away and im so impressed...this is awesome so say at least :bounce: I have some wonderings though. WiFi works great but when using 3G things will not go so well. Choppy as hell. I wonder how much upstream bandwidth do you need to get 3G to work as smooth as wifi? I have 2 down/1 up today. I know this depends of course on the weakest link in the serverchain, but i mean in an ideal situation where my recording server/internet subscription is slowest one in the chain. Checking out the DVBViewer client statusbar bandwidth there always varies between 2-5 Mbit/s for Mpeg2. How does this value relate to the above...in other words do I need at least 5 Mbit/s upstream to be safe from lagging when streaming to an iPhone using 3G (Turbo 3G)?

@majstang

have a look at ..\CMUV\DVBViewer\config\iphoneprf.ini

maybe you can customize a ffmpeg profile to suit your bandwitdh ;)

Thanks for your help @appis!

But i dont think that will do anything good, cuz when using wifi it streams like there is no tomorrow. No lag at all. With lag I mean stream stops and buffering begins (loading file). It only appears outside of WLAN, when iphone connection goes from wifi over to 3G. Then the stream must go from my server to my internetproviders server, on unknown servers on the way to my iphone providers server and out on the 3G net to reach my phone. Something in this chain must suck bandwidthwise and it is not my i-net subscription any longer cuz i did just upgraded it to 10/10. Loading streams to the iphone when on wifi goes now with lightning speed. Over 3G no difference. So if wifi works really good and 3G not...then changing FFmpeg settings can not make any difference...or can it? Im trying right now to download a free iphone app which measures dl/ul bandwidth. Then i will see how the state of my iphone bandwidth really is...I do suspect something is fishy with my iphone bandwidth, cuz it does not matter if standing 10 meters from the freaking 3G mast/antenna...streaming lags anyway :(

Edited by majstang

The bandwidth from your 3G will be lower than WiFi plus 3G is a shared service which will affect bandwidth where as you'd likely to be the only on using WiFi

The bandwidth from your 3G will be lower than WiFi plus 3G is a shared service which will affect bandwidth where as you'd likely to be the only on using WiFi

Yes, you are completly right! This awesome feature of the Recording Service is ahead of its time. 3G is simply too slow to get completly fluent streaming to work. Providers promise up to 6 Mbit/s but in reality we get max 4 (drove around Stockholm today and took a lot of measurements with an iphone TP-test and the fastest was 3.919 Mbit/s) which is not enough to get lagfree streaming. The point with this feature is of course to get the opportunity to watch TV where ever you are and not only on your private home WLAN. When you are at home it is much nicer to watch tv on your 50 inch screen anyway :P Conclusion...we have to wait til 4G network is up and running. The first generation 4G should give at least 100Mbit/s dl and 50 Mbit/s ul.

Edited by majstang

Also it's not just the 3G download speed to your iphone to think about but also your upload from your source (ie the PC where you have your recording service), where I'm at my upload speed is 10% of my download speed, you'll need a special codec to make the most of the limited bandwidth like what the slingbox offers

I doubt you'll ever get 100Mbits from 4G, the airwaves will be too congested

Also it's not just the 3G download speed to your iphone to think about but also your upload from your source (ie the PC where you have your recording service), where I'm at my upload speed is 10% of my download speed, you'll need a special codec to make the most of the limited bandwidth like what the slingbox offers

I doubt you'll ever get 100Mbits from 4G, the airwaves will be too congested

Yes, but in my case i think 10Mbits upstream from my source should be enough. For streaming fluent Mpeg-2 with RS to an iphone I think the minimum requirement could be around 5Mbits/s downstream, similar to what the DVBViewer client statusbar says and at least 7Mbit/s for HD. Hopefully 4G could deliver that regardless of congestion. Nice to see my provider will start up their 4G network later on this year...well that is at least what they say ;)

Hello

I am not sure if I should post here or create another thread?

I am interesting in buying DVBViewer and the ability to watch TV on iphone wherever I am is very appealing.

What I was wondering what is the video quality like over LAN and 3G? Is it comparable to air video, or high quality youtube videos?

Several posters complained about it being unusable on 3g, does anyone have better experience? With air video I can watch videos from my computer over 3g just fine after lowering the bitrate, so I'm not sure why it should be any different when DVBViewer is streaming it.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by tryton8

Hello

I am not sure if I should post here or create another thread?

I am interesting in buying DVBViewer and the ability to watch TV on iphone wherever I am is very appealing.

What I was wondering what is the video quality like over LAN and 3G? Is it comparable to air video, or high quality youtube videos?

Several posters complained about it being unusable on 3g, does anyone have better experience? With air video I can watch videos from my computer over 3g just fine after lowering the bitrate, so I'm not sure why it should be any different when DVBViewer is streaming it.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I have to say, since Im guilty of the complaining, that my critic was aimed at the 3G net capacity and not on the iphone/ipod touch feature of Recording Service. This feature is awesome, but the 3G net is not quite ready for it. You can of course lower the bitrate of the stream and get it to work more fluent, but sometimes this is not enough. The bandwidth of the 3G net depends heavily on where you are, how many simultainously are using the same bandwidth. We have to remember the 3G net is not that well suited for media streaming, well music and such no problem, but video requires so much bandwidth. Iphone providers are promising up to 7Mbit/s but in reality you get maybe 2-4 Mbit/s at least in my case, and this was not enough to get lagfree streaming on highest quality (comaparble to high quality youtube videos or even better). Maybe you have a 3G network with lesser simultainously users and you get better bandwidth...it is impossible to say how it would work for you. However if you are not living in the countryside the 4G net should be ready for use sometime next year and then we have a mobile network that is made for videostreaming, so I dont think you should hesitate buying DVBViewer because it is simply the best both featurewise and pricewise, you wont be disappointed for sure.

If you are only after the iphone feature there is always the slingbox.

• 2 weeks later...

When streaming to my Iphone I can see about 1 min then the stream stops for 10 seconds and then start again.

I have about 60-70% CPU Usage on my server, and streaming in medium quality...

When I'm on my LAN everything is working fine.. Checked that the server only sends about 125kb through the router, and I have 1mbit upload.

What is the problem here, anyone ?

Jesper

Edited by Syswatch
  • 2 weeks later...

is it possible to watch a channel on a tv and iphone simultaneously ?? and also using the iphone as a remote ??

Edited by HIBOY123
is it possible to watch a channel on a tv and iphone simultaneously ??

If you mean the SAME channel, then there is no problem, otherwise you have the normal limitations. Different transponders would need two cards (or more depending on how many clients you connect). Encrypted channels are limited to one channel per card/CAM etc... And you have to take the CPU usage for the conversion for the iphone into account.

and also using the iphone as a remote ??

This is planed, but not working yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Just tried this on an iPad - it work great no problems at although Safari asks for user name and password again (Secure Website, Log into this secure website) even though I included it in the url.

Anyway fantastic. Now all I need to do is get a few more tuners and cam cards! :biggrin:

Safari asks for user name and password again (Secure Website, Log into this secure website) even though I included it in the url.

Yes I know, apple broke it. If you are using the ipad in the local LAN, add the IP of it to the trusted devices, see the changelog of the service. :9

OK Thanks.

Changes 1.6.2.0 Beta

See service.xml_Tweaks.txt.

Is the above filename a typo?- I can't find it. :unsure:

I am looking for the file where I add

[configuration folder] \config\svcuserdata.xml:
<section name="TrustedDevices">
<entry name="0">192.168.######.x</entry>
<entry name="1">192.168.######.x</entry>
</section>