Wrong codec for DVD

Fabien44

Hello,

someting strange. I have installed only 2 codecs: ffdshow and Cyberlink 9 Mpeg2.

I set Cyberlink for DVD in DivX menu but the graph displays always ffdshow video running.

Merits are same. I uninstalled ffdshow and then the graph cannot build.

Any idea?

In new versions Cyberlink doesn't open the codec for other applications. Maybe thats the problem.

Oh, i did thought this was only for the Cyberlink PowerDVD9 HD codecs and not for Mpeg2! I must do some testing on DVDs myself.

Edited by majstang

No, I can play DVDs alright with the PowerDVD9 Mpeg2 decoder in DVBViewer. @Fabien44 it must be some other issue for you. ffdshow can sometimes play tricks on your directx chain messing up for other codecs and that is why i dont use it and of course the problem with lack of hardware acceleration on top of that.

Edited by majstang
DVDs alright with the PowerDVD9 Mpeg2 decoder
:) So it's only for HD.

But the support.zip will show whether the Cyberlink Codecs are installed correct or not.

:) So it's only for HD.

No worries! I was unsure if Cyberlink had locked the Mpeg2 codec specific for DVD playback myself...it wouldnt have surprised me if they came up with such an "evil" stunt :wacko:

But the support.zip will show whether the Cyberlink Codecs are installed correct or not.

Yes, you are right. And my guess is the ffdshow filter have messed up for the PowerDVD9 codec somehow...

Yes but if i uninstall ffdshow, only cyberlink remains and the graph cannot build! Why?

For the support file, i cannot do generate it because it does not bug DVBViewer.

Edited by Fabien44

Well, in this case it could be necessary to first uninstall ffdshow and remove all traces in registry with Filtermerit (or similar software). Also uninstall Cyberlink PowerDVD9. To repair the DirectX chain apply the DirectX redist as Gioxy suggested. Reinstall only PowerDVD9 and maybe it is best to apply the Directx redist again. It should be done after uninstall/install of any software that uses DirectX somehow. Remember to reboot after each step, even after applying the directx redist. Please report back how it went.

Edited by majstang

I have reinstalled last directx, codecs but no change :)

I had a bug when i stop playing DVD but i changed renderer from overlay to VRM9 and bug disapears. Still ffdshow video used (cyberlink selected)

You did reinstall ffdshow i suppose?

What filter merit value do you have on ffdshow and cyberlink (CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)? Check preferably with RadLight Filter Manager under DirectShow Filters. Both filters should have MERIT_NORMAL. If you by misstake have set MERIT_PREFERRED +1 for ffdshow that should explain why ffdshow takes over. But if this is the case this issue should be the same when watching both TV and DVDs...and it is not or what?

Yes i uninstalled/reinstalled all codecs (cyberlink+ffdshow). I lowered merit of ffdshow to MERIT_NORMAL < merit cyberlink (MERIT_PREFERRED).

And if i watch TV it's well Cyberlink used but for DVD it's cyberlink whatever codec i select.

Ok, it would be intresting to know what happens when only having PowerDVD9 codecs installed and ffdshow uninstalled. Does the Cyberlink codec work then?

I had my fair share of ffdshow problems myself a long time ago and will not allow it near my system ever again :angry:

Edited by majstang

If uninstall/reinstall of PowerDVD9 does not get your Cyberlink codecs going, then you can always get PowerDVD8. With PVDVD8 the HD codecs are NOT locked for 3-party software also. For the PowerDVD9 issue a cleaning of the registry (PowerDVD9 leaves a huge bunch of registrykeys behind and for ffdshow i dont know) is not recommended, cuz deleting the wrong thing and you are screwed (even if done with ccleaner and such). You can of cuz try the ccleaner but be very careful. The recommended thing would be to start from scratch and install the "Uninstall Tool" (which is the greatest..much better than windows own) to be abled to remove every trace installed software leaves behind. Then the chance for these things to happen is greatly reduced. But as said earlier the quickfix would be PDVD8.

Good luck!

Edited by majstang