PDVD9

argon

Hi,

I have downloaded PowerDVD 9 Trail to my old HTPC. It works very nice, low processor usage and plays lot of different types of video files. The problem is that PDVD9 codec not is visible in DVBViewer! (but is visible in TS Player!). Will PDVD9 be visible if I buy it? Or do you recommend any other codec for an older HTPC?

Today I’m using PDVD7, but it is not good enough to playback HD files.

Motherboard: Asus P4P800E deluxe

CPU: Intel Celeron 345 – 3.0 GHz

RC: Imon VFD PAD

Sat card: Sky star 2HD (new)

Graphic card: Sapphire Radeon HD 3450 (New)

//Argon

The problem is that PDVD9 codec not is visible in DVBViewer! (but is visible in TS Player!).

The TSPlayer lists decoders with a MERIT_DO_NOT_USE value. AFAIK DVBViewer does not.

So a solution for the trial decoder (probably not for the purchased one) could be to change the merit value with the RadLight Filter Manager (download) e.g. to MERIT_NORMAL. Please note: Changing the merit value requires admin rights!

1) Launch the Filter Manager (explicitely) with admin rights.

2) Search the decoder in the DirectShow section of the treeview and select the merit subnode. If the value is 0x00200000 (MERIT_DO_NOT_USE) change it to 00600000 (MERIT_NORMAL). Click "Set Merit Value".

3) Reboot your PC or log off from your user account/log in again.

After that the decoder should be visible in DVBViewer.

The TSPlayer lists decoders with a MERIT_DO_NOT_USE value. AFAIK DVBViewer does not.

So a solution for the trial decoder (probably not for the purchased one) could be to change the merit value with the RadLight Filter Manager (download) e.g. to MERIT_NORMAL. Please note: Changing the merit value requires admin rights!

1) Launch the Filter Manager (explicitely) with admin rights.

2) Search the decoder in the DirectShow section of the treeview and select the merit subnode. If the value is 0x00200000 (MERIT_DO_NOT_USE) change it to 00600000 (MERIT_NORMAL). Click "Set Merit Value".

3) Reboot your PC or log off from your user account/log in again.

After that the decoder should be visible in DVBViewer.

Nope, that will not work ever! Well, at least until somebody comes up with something to unlock the HD codec for DirectShow.

The problem is that PDVD9 codec not is visible in DVBViewer! (but is visible in TS Player!).

Strange! Are you really sure on that? It should only be visible for Mpeg2 and not for H.264 and VC-1.

No!

Cyberlink Decided they will not let their codec be useable for other aps in all versions after ver. 8

Use Win 7

Yes, that is true, but it is only the HD (H.264/VC-1) codecs that are locked for use in third party software (works only in PDVD9 itself). For Mpeg2 you should be abled to use the PDVD9 codec in DVBViewer.

Edited by majstang

Download hdpack 2.3

use google because i can post the link here

regads wikings1

Edited by wikings1
Download hdpack 2.3

use google because i can post the link here

regads wikings1

I dont want to download som "hdpack" without a very good clue that this i the best codec pack in the world, so please explain why we should use this "pack"

It works !!!

Thank you Griga, this is magic!!!

Now PDVD9 works for HD.

(PDVD9 did work for DVD format from the beginning)

When I play 1280*720 50 Hz I have a CPU load < 10%

When I play 1920*1080 25 Hz I have a CPU load < 20%

When I use other codec’s the CPU load is almost 100%

One more question...

Will it be possible to play Mov files with DVBViewer? I have a Canon PowerShot SX1. Its a nice Ultra zoom Camera that capture videos in full HD (1920*1080 30fps) in Mov containers (Video H264 and pcm stereo). PDVD9 is the only player that can handle these files on my old HTPC.

Motherboard: Asus P4P800E delux

CPU: Intel P4 3GHz 1GB

CPU Cooler: Zalman ZM-700B-CU

Remote Control: Imon VFD PAD

Case & PSU: Chieftec LCX-01SL-SL-B, 360W, ATX

Graphic Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 3450 (no fan) (new)

Sat Card: Sky Star HD2 (new)

Hard Disk: Samsung 154 UI (1,5GB, R54, 32M) (new)

Windows XP

// Argon

Will it be possible to play Mov files with DVBViewer?

It requires DirectShow filters (components) that are able to read the stuff (a source filter/splitter/demultiplexer) and to decode the content. Search the web...

It works !!!

Now PDVD9 works for HD.

I tried it, but it didn't work here. Do you now have a Cyberlink option in DirectX>H.264?

If yes, what is th exact name?

Edited by McenterFreak
QUOTE (argon @ Mar 2 2010, 00:26)

It works !!!

Now PDVD9 works for HD.

I tried it, but it didn't work here. Do you now have a Cyberlink option in DirectX>H.264?

If yes, what is th exact name?

I did try it too, and it dont work! The Cyberlink H.264/AVC (PDVD9) decoder is not visible in Radlight Filter manager. Sounds really strange he got it to work.

Maybe Cyberlink forgot about the protection on the trial decoder how corny it may sound. Searched the net yesterday and the HDPACK 2.3 lists a Combo decoder for MPEG-2/H.264/VC-1 and i did found some tweaks for it, but havent tested it yet. There may have been some progress on the DirectShow dilemma in other words, but to soon to say for sure.

@Argon

If you check View--Filters on your DVBViewer does it really say Cyberlink H.264/AVC (PDVD9)? Could be your PDVD7 decoder still playing that HD material of yours. DVBViewer chooses a decoder per automatic which are abled to decode the material you are playing (like system default decoder).

Edited by majstang

I’m using…

* DVBViewer Pro4.2.1.0.

* PowerDVD 9 Trail version 9.0.2528.51 (Downloaded from Cyberlink 2010-02-12)

Filter in DVBViewer under DirectX H264 is “Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9)”

This is also the filter under “view / filter”.

In RadLight I can see…

* Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9) (this is the one that I can see in DVBViewer)

* Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)

* Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9 UPnP)

* And a lot of other PDVD9 filters

I’m using…

* DVBViewer Pro4.2.1.0.

* PowerDVD 9 Trail version 9.0.2528.51 (Downloaded from Cyberlink 2010-02-12)

Filter in DVBViewer under DirectX H264 is “Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9)”

This is also the filter under “view / filter”.

In RadLight I can see…

* Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9) (this is the one that I can see in DVBViewer)

* Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)

* Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9 UPnP)

* And a lot of other PDVD9 filters

Ok, thanks! Im still sceptical you are decoding HD material with that decoder, cuz the Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9) is for MPEG-2 material and not HD, but if you have found some loophole lucky you :lbounce:

Ok, thanks! Im still sceptical you are decoding HD material with that decoder, cuz the Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9) is for MPEG-2 material and not HD, but if you have found some loophole lucky you :lbounce:

And i think Happy Hours are in the past. He dosent have a solution!

Why have this stupid company (cyperlink) descided to block use of their decoder. I could understand this, if they are seeling a Codec pack seperatly. They do, but it does not support Win 7

Why have this stupid company (cyperlink) descided to block use of their decoder.

What i heard it was due to demands from Hollywood and such intrests. A piracyrestraing measure or what they call it. I think the newest Arcsoft TMT has it too. Its so stupid, but we can be sure on to expect a lot more of this in the future, which will be forcing us to use old codecs or hacked ones. The never-ending-battle has begun on this area as well. But the most "Evil" thing yet must be pairing :lbounce:

Edited by majstang

Strange on my side i can certify one thing: i have power dvd 8 & 9 and both don't work for HD (with DVBViewer) if i use them i get a 80% cpu load. On the other hand no problem with CoreAvc. I use a Nvidia GT220.

Strange on my side i can certify one thing: i have power dvd 8 & 9 and both don't work for HD (with DVBViewer) if i use them i get a 80% cpu load. On the other hand no problem with CoreAvc. I use a Nvidia GT220.

The Cyberlink H.264/AVC (PDVD9) decoder should not even be visible in DVBViewer so you cant watch HD material with that one. The Cyberlink H.264/AVC (PDVD8) decoder on the other hand is visible and selectable in DVBViewer. If you have 80% CPU load with that decoder the DXVA is not active. There are certain rules to follow depending on OS to get hardware acceleration to work. If you follow them your CPU load should drop considerably. Here is a link specifying what to do.

http://www.codecguide.com/faq_dxva.htm

In Cyberlink 8. Select options>Video and tick the enable Hardware acceleration box (as i remeber it, i am not at my HTPC rigth now). Dont accept to Patch Cyberlink 8, since this will disable PowerDVD H.264 in DVBViewer. PowerDVD 9 will not allow H.264 in DVBViewer

MediaPortal can see and use the PDVD9 H.264 codec so it's strange that DVBv cannot. It's not a problem here as I have DivX 7 registered and use that but I'd prefer to use PDVD9's codecs for everything, if only to avoid the DivX logo :)

P.S. FYI I just tried changing the merit values for Cyberlink HD/BD Mixer and Cyberlink MPEG4 splitter on a registered PDVD9 and it still doesn't show in DVBViewer.

Edited by SimonP
MediaPortal can see and use the PDVD9 H.264 codec so it's strange that DVBv cannot.

So, do you say Mediaportal do not use DirectShow filters then like every other third party software? Sounds strange!

Please check with Radlight Filter Manager if you can see the Cyberlink H.264/AVC decoder (PDVD9) decoder under DirectShow filters and let us know? If not that is the reason you can't use this decoder in DVBViewer.

Edited by majstang
After installation the latest 2528 Feb patch, the new "CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD9)" will appear in MPEG2, H.264 and VC1:

1003141232b2951bf0f0470190.jpg

The decoder needs manually regsvr32 to register and set merit, please refer to:

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=39664

Yes, but this is not H.264, it is the MPEG2 decoder. It should say something like Cyberlink H.264 Decoder (PDVD9)

@ter9999

This is the picture of yours that are intresting. How did you manage to see the Cyberlink H.264/AVC (PDVD9) decoder in DVBViewer? If it has disappeared after installation of the latest patch could you backtrace your steps (versions and so on)?

Edited by majstang
Yes, but this is not H.264, it is the MPEG2 decoder. It should say something like Cyberlink H.264 Decoder (PDVD9)

It is the new "unified" Cyberlink Video Decoder for MPEG2, H.264 and VC-1.

Are you sure on that? I thought that one was named CyberLink MPEG-2/H.264/VC-1 Video Decoder (PDVD9) and not CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD9). Im still sceptical simply by changing merit value on this MPEG-2 decoder you are activating the actual H.264 and VC-1 decoders. If decoding H.264 material works with that decoder and view--filters in DVBViewer actually says CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD9) when playing HD material, i wonder if that really is true. Maybe fiddeling around changing merit values in DirectShow filters on the Cyberlink decoders, could be causing let say CoreAVC (if installed) is doing the actual H.264 decoding. How accurate is the view--filter information? Could we be 100% sure it is that decoder showing in there who are doing the actual decoding if you have messed around with the DirectShow filter merit values structure?

Edited by majstang
Are you sure on that? I thought that one was named CyberLink MPEG-2/H.264/VC-1 Video Decoder (PDVD9) and not CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD9). Im still sceptical simply by changing merit value on this MPEG-2 decoder you are activating the actual H.264 and VC-1 decoders. If decoding H.264 material works with that decoder and view--filters in DVBViewer actually says CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD9) when playing HD material, i wonder if that really is true. Maybe fiddeling around changing merit values in DirectShow filters on the Cyberlink decoders, could be causing let say CoreAVC (if installed) is doing the actual H.264 decoding. How accurate is the view--filter information? Could we be 100% sure it is that decoder showing in there who are doing the actual decoding if you have messed around with the DirectShow filter merit values structure?

Here is my observations:

Watching H.264 from DVB-T

Microsoft decoder: 25-30% CPU, no configuration possible from DVBViewer

Cyberlink (PDVD9): 14-20% CPU, configuration in DVBViever: Use DXVA

Cyberlink (PDVD9): 40-80% CPU, configuration in DVBViever: Use SW

CoreAVC: 70-80% CPU, configuration in DVBViewer: Default

So i think Griga is right, also because the configuration window are very different, depending on which decoder is selected

Here is my observations:

Watching H.264 from DVB-T

Microsoft decoder: 25-30% CPU, no configuration possible from DVBViewer

Cyberlink (PDVD9): 14-20% CPU, configuration in DVBViever: Use DXVA

Cyberlink (PDVD9): 40-80% CPU, configuration in DVBViever: Use SW

CoreAVC: 70-80% CPU, configuration in DVBViewer: Default

So i think Griga is right, also because the configuration window are very different, depending on which decoder is selected

Yes, it seems you are right! These observations is quite undeniably. Getting that difference in CPU load when using Cyberlink (PDVD9) DXVA compared to CoreAVC would mean the Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9) is working and decoding H.264. Thanks for this great information!

Edited by majstang

I can confirm that the new unified decoder works.

I downloaded the latest demo from the Cyberlink site and it installed the new codec. Properties page allows me to enable DXVA and CPU usage goes down.

It seems that Cyberlink no longer see the h264 as something that needs protecting so much - maybe because the Microsoft one comes with Windows now.

I installed the demo, copied the Videofilter folder, uninstalled the demo then registered the filter manually and it works perfectly.

Yes, it works for me as well :)

Watching H.264 720p material DVB-C:

Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9): 9-14% CPU, configuration in DVBViever: Use DXVA

Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9): 25-30% CPU, configuration in DVBViever: Use SW

CoreAVC: 25-30% CPU, configuration in DVBViewer: Default

This is GREAT news ;)

According to a report in the Geman section the unified decoder doesn't work in case of DVD playback, which means, it refuses to connect to the MS DVD Navigator that is used by DVBViewer (MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK). Try...

According to a report in the Geman section the unified decoder doesn't work in case of DVD playback, which means, it refuses to connect to the MS DVD Navigator that is used by DVBViewer (MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK). Try...

Confirmed!

DVBViewer simply disregards the Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9) and chooses an another installed MPEG-2 decoder when inserting and playing a DVD.

PowerDVD9 for DVD playback will do good as a substitute.

DVBViewer simply disregards the Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9)

It doesn't disregard the decoder, but inserts it into the filter graph according to the DirectX settings. However, since it doesn't connect to the MS DVD Navigator, the DirectShow GraphBuilder (not DVBViewer) automatically searches for a substitute.

In SD-mode (ARD, ZDF) this combined decoder doesn't work properly when dxva is activated. At least not on my machine..

It seems that Cyberlink no longer see the h264 as something that needs protecting so much - maybe because the Microsoft one comes with Windows now.

Not quite true, you still need to change the merit, before it works

It doesn't disregard the decoder, but inserts it into the filter graph according to the DirectX settings. However, since it doesn't connect to the MS DVD Navigator, the DirectShow GraphBuilder (not DVBViewer) automatically searches for a substitute.

Any possible workaround? If not a small price to pay for a working DXVA compatible H.264 decoder.

In SD-mode (ARD, ZDF) this combined decoder doesn't work properly when dxva is activated. At least not on my machine..

Describe the issue a bit more, so we know what to look out for.

Yes, same here. After a while it goes 'jumpy', dropping frames and taking a strobe effect. H264 jumped on me too earlier but not as much.

After some evaluation of the Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9) im quite disappointed with it. I get a lot more motion blur on both HD and SD. Doesnt matter if using SW, DXVA, BOB or Weave. No trace of that with the original Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9). No "jumpy" or dropping frames though.

So as long as i use WinXP it goes to the dump.

After some evaluation of the Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9) im quite disappointed with it. I get a lot more motion blur on both HD and SD. Doesnt matter if using SW, DXVA, BOB or Weave. No trace of that with the original Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9). No "jumpy" or dropping frames though.

So as long as i use WinXP it goes to the dump.

What about taking the jump: Win 7. I think it is here to stay!

What about taking the jump: Win 7. I think it is here to stay!

Already have it, but it will take a long time to get it to work like XP, with all my scripts and special modifications.

You dont experience (PDVD9) issues like uglyned reported about with Win7 then?

After a while it goes 'jumpy', dropping frames and taking a strobe effect. H264 jumped on me too earlier but not as much.
Already have it, but it will take a long time to get it to work like XP, with all my scripts and special modifications.

You dont experience (PDVD9) issues like uglyned reported about with Win7 then?

I will report back, when i have tried it in this weekend. (i dont see HD TV every day, and i am a little bit busy rigth now, sorry)