What's DVBViewer like with Bluray?

uglyned

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a Bluray drive but I want my HTPC to remain as simple to use as possible - no using Windows or transferring between applications. So if I do get a drive, I'll need DVBViewer to play the discs.

Can DVBViewer handle Bluray? Are there any known problems?

It can handle non copy protected discs. So if you want to watch movies on bluray you have to either rip them with some illegal tool and play them from HDD, or use software like PowerDVD/winDVD. They can be "integrated" into DVBViewer with a tool "DVBViewer Switch". It opens Powerdvd automatically and plays back the disc, DVBViewer is then in Background and TV is stopped. When you close powerdvd, DVBViewer get focus again and tv is restarted.

The other thing is, DVBViewer still can not show subtitles from Blu-Ray material. So films like "Dancing with the wolves" would be complete mystery ;)

Edit: On the other hand, i like to have all the functionality in one program, one look-and-feel...

Edited by SnoopyDog
  • 7 months later...

It can handle non copy protected discs. So if you want to watch movies on bluray you have to either rip them with some illegal tool and play them from HDD, or use software like PowerDVD/winDVD. They can be "integrated" into DVBViewer with a tool "DVBViewer Switch". It opens Powerdvd automatically and plays back the disc, DVBViewer is then in Background and TV is stopped. When you close powerdvd, DVBViewer get focus again and tv is restarted.

Where is the download-link to the tool ? I cannot find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Or use AnyDVD HD.

Using AnyDVD HD does not solve the problem of playback from BD-discs or rips from within DVBViewer !

The only thing AnyDVD HD does is removing the copy-protection and ripping of the disc.

In MCE the switching between PowerDVD (and MCE) is possible. But as we all know, MCE sucks :tongue:

in DVBViewer, the switching is also possible. Either via "DVBViewer Switch" (including fowarded keyboard/Remote commands and switching of grafic profiles for 24hz etc.) or for example with selfmade Evenghost makros.

Hi dvbrewer,

I think that i found it. The link to the topic :

Link

However, the explanation is in german. For me its a "wartaal" (also for google-translation) :lol:

I did not test it yet. If you intend to, please let me know the results.

Using AnyDVD HD does not solve the problem of playback from BD-discs or rips from within DVBViewer !

The only thing AnyDVD HD does is removing the copy-protection and ripping of the disc.

Do you have personal experience with this? I do have AnyDVD HD but no Blueray drive yet so I can't test this, but the feature of AnyDVD HD is to decrypt the disk before the application (whatever application) can see it. DVBViewer should see the disk as a normal unencrypted blueray disk and offer to play it normally.

Well, I do playback BR directly from DVBViewer with AnyDVD HD. If I insert a BR disc in my BR drive, and DVBViewer is running, the latter prompts me if I want to play it back, and in case it starts playback from the point I interrupted watching earlier. You don't get the interactive menu, and the subs, but you can choose the audio and skip back an forth with no problem.

Pics: 1 and 2

Do you have personal experience with this? I do have AnyDVD HD but no Blueray drive yet so I can't test this, but the feature of AnyDVD HD is to decrypt the disk before the application (whatever application) can see it. DVBViewer should see the disk as a normal unencrypted blueray disk and offer to play it normally.

@Pynkyz : thanks for the info & pics ; its a pitty that the subtitling does not work. Maybe something for version 4.6 ?

@Galmok : yes i have experience with AnyDVD HD. It works fine.

Deleted

Edited by Griga

The english description is included in the "DVBViewer Switch.pdf"! see first Page of the Thread.

Hello desweil,

Thanks, i know. But there wend something wrong when i first downloaded the file. The pdf was unreadible.

Yesterday i downloaded it again an now it works fine.

By the way : is it up-to-date ?

Sorry, it's going a bit too far and becoming too AnyDVD specific here. So I have to stop and close this discussion, because we don't want to get accused of supporting copyright infringement (which can happen quite easily in Germany).

Please continue the discussion in another forum or privatly.