PayTV and Dvbviewer

ginacman

Hello,

please don't blame me for the heretical question:

I'm downright content with the DVBViewer application, it's real a nice piece of software and I enjoy every second I use it. But.

Whenever I like watching my local PayTV, I need to switch on my Dreambox.

I'm sure I'm missing something - I've read the FAQ but I can't understand the real meaning behind - what exactly prevents to get a plugin that implements a [removed, violating forum rule §13] allowing legitimate users to watch what they pay for, through DVBViewer?

Thank you!

Edited by ginacman
I'm sure I'm missing something -  I've read the FAQ but I can't understand the real meaning behind -  what exactly prevents to get a plugin that implements a [removed, violating forum rule §13] allowing legitimate users to watch what they pay for, through DVBViewer?

because many people would use it who doesn't have pay-tv.....me2 :wacko:

In Germany its not legal to use [removed, violating forum rule §13] !!!

I see.

I'm just a bit surprised that such laws can be so "technocratic" up to give a description of what a [removed, violating forum rule §13] is opposed to a "hard"-cam. Also, I think there well should be a certain alignment in laws system in Europe, isn't it?

Thank you for replying.

I don't think that there is a law that explicitely forbids the use of softcams. But there is a NDA from ETSI that forbids implementation of the CSA in software :wacko:

That's only part of the deal, cos you have to implement the corresponding CAS as well and that again will infringe other rights without a licence, which you'll never get o:)

This is a copy of a reply to an email I sent to Technisat

thank you very much for your request.

For sure we are also not happy with the ci cards on the market, so we are

about to launch a ci product till approx. July 2004.

We would be glad if you would decide to use Technisat products also in the

future.

With my best regards

Stephan Esten-Feilen

Area Sales Manager

Here's hoping DVBViewer supports it in an update, or ideally speaks to Technisat now, in order to plan ahead what will need to be coded into DVBViewer.

I have asked to be placed on a mailing list, or to be sent tech specs/ approx prices of the card.

What do others think about this?

Guest Oliver

Christian already said he will publish a plugin as soon as TechniSat is going to release a hardware add-on.

Bye, Oliver

Christian already said he will publish a plugin as soon as TechniSat is going to release a hardware add-on.

So it's an addon to SS2 and not a completely new card?

OK. Was just curious if you knew more than the rest of us :radscorpion:

Good to see Technisat working on this. Now if we just could make them develop a dual tuner, DiSEqC 1.1 compatible model I would be over the moon.

Just received this mail from a supplier:

Hello,

Technisat is in discussion with TwinHan for their VP1030 card, to be sold

under Technisat own brand, but will be un-changed model!

So there won't be any Technisat own product in the close future!

Can it be possible ?

Can the DVBViewer "talk" to the VP1030 ?

Rittberg

Can the DVBViewer "talk" to the VP1030 ?

Well, most of the DVBViewer is already prepared for talking (and listening) to other cards, since Christian unitised it in a way that most of it is hardware-independent - except the scanner engine, but that's not such a big thing. However, the interfacing must still be done. If Christian gets all the necessary information from TechniSat, he will do something, I guess.

For sure we are also not happy with the ci cards on the market, so we are

about to launch a ci product till approx. July 2004.

So they must be happy with the TwinHan I guess :radscorpion:

Guest hackbart

Just wait till summer. I know sooner or later there will be a solution for this, probably sooner than later :radscorpion: And since i'm optimistic i guess there will be some ss2 friendly technisat solution.

Christian

.... i guess there will be some ss2 friendly technisat solution.

So, Please give a reason to be optimistic ....

If Technisat is working on a solution by adapting/manufacturing a new card (similar to the TwinHan/VisionPlus VP1030 etc. ) or by an add on CI device to the SS2.

Will the DVBViewer supports this new card/CI device.

There is a huge advantage mainly when watching the Euro1080 with the DVBViewer & Marfi's filter compared to other SW(ProgDVB) in terms of picture quality and smoothness .

So, should I be optimistic ?

Rittberg

Well, yesterday I've re-written the Scanner Unit in order to make it hardware independent (see my remark above). Another brick...

@Griga,

Sorry for my ignorance,

As I have said about the Marfi's filter contribution to the picture quality and smoothness.

Will the Marfi's filter support an hardware independent Scanner Unit or it will hold Christian & you to develop the CI DVBViewer SW ?

Rittberg

Edited by Rittberg

So, In other words the existing Marfi's filter is suitable for the coming CI solution

and it will not hold the DVBViewer to be adapted to the CI Solution ?

Guest hackbart

well the next steps inside the DVBViewer will be to remove the old render cores (Directshow Sourcefilter support). Only the DVBSource Filter will stay. This has more advantages than disadvantages. First we are able to be more flexible and second we can graph the mpeg before it is pushed throughout the source filter.

Christian

If only the DVBSource Filter will stay and no others as Marfi filter, for me the DVBSource Filter should be improved due to the fact that in HDTV I see more smooth PQ with the Marfi filter compared to the DVBSource Filter :radscorpion:

Edited by Rittberg

Hi,

Do you have an idea if DVBViewer will work with other DVB cards before 12 June?

I am considering buying the VP1030 just to see Euro2004, which starts at 12...

Samuel

That is located in the stars....

When TEchniSat have a card with CI-interface ...

Guest Oliver

I think they're going to offer a module solution. Here's an excerpt from the B2C3-website (have a look at the last point). This belongs to the Sky2PC card (SkyStar2):

Features and Benefits:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Simple to install plug-and-play technology with an easy configuration menu.

• Ensures interoperability across different head-end equipment, operating systems and video and sound cards.

• Allows for immediate assessment of the quality of the receiving signal with performance reporting and data metering software.

• Patent-pending SafeBus™ uses innovative hardware encryption technology to protect content at every vulnerable point in its flow. With SafeBus encryption hardware, no unencrypted data is traveling over the bus.

• Multiple satellite link formats (DVB, NTSC and LLC-SNAP).

• Multiple descramblers (DVB common descrambler and Multi-2 descrambler).

• Patent-pending FlexParser™ (PID filtering, IP unicast and multicast filtering, MAC filtering).

• Multiple transponder switching.

• Section packing and interleaving.

• Standards-based: supports DVB, ETSI, TCP/IP and MPEG2.

• Available in internal PCI or external USB form factors.   

• Optional conditional access system: fixed-key CA, smart-card based embedded CA, DVB CI based 

Bye, Oliver