DVBViewer Green and powersavings

patti

Hello ;)

Here is an idea for DVBViewer that I would find most useful. At the moment DVBViewer has DisableAV functionality but it just blanks the screen but does not turn off the display to power save mode like windows power options do.

From the point of saving electricity and having an even more enjoyable experience it would be useful to have a "turn off display" function for DVBV like the one in Windows power options. Thus you could use your remote to turn off the display for example when going to sleep and let recordings finish in the background without having to get up from bed ;) Yeah, I'm lazy and do not want to get up from bed to turn of the display... ;)

Also this turn off display function would be most welcome for scheduled recordings when started from hibernate. This way it would be made certain that DVBV uses the minimum amount of energy when left unattended. If the user wants to resume watching live TV after DVBV has been started from hibernate a simple click on mouse or a remote press would bring the display back to life.

patti

Thus you could use your remote to turn off the display for example when going to sleep and let recordings finish in the background without having to get up from bed ;)

Options > Input >> add a new group >> add a new command with two actions > 1. Stop Graph, 2. Shutdown Monitor

Hi, I found an easier way to do this shutdown monitor when scheduled recordings start. I simply put Windows 7 to turn off the display after 1 minute. If recording service starts the computer and DVBViewer does not have an active graph in it then the monitor will sleep in 1 minute. If I have an active graph in DVBViewer then the monitor stays on as it is supposed to do.

One more idea remains on my wishlist regarding monitor powersavings: an action for DVBViewer to activate the monitor again with remote after it has been put to sleep. That would have all aspects covered: shutdown/wakeup monitor by remote and shutdown monitor when started for scheduled recordings.

patti

Edited by patti
an action for DVBViewer to activate the monitor again with remote after it has been put to sleep.

It's easy to make a small exe file that switches the monitor on. According to this it only requires one line of code:

PostMessage(HWND_TOPMOST, WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_MONITORPOWER, -1);

Maybe someone knows how it can be integrated...

After using my brains a bit I realised that Girder allows sending mouse clicks or key presses to Windows so I mapped a remote key to mouse left click and now I can wake up my monitor from sleep. Everything's covered now, but this feature would be quite useful for a built in DVBViewer action too.

Thanks for the hints that led me to solutions :(

patti

• 2 weeks later...