What codec should I use for He-AAC V2?

tolinn

Hi,

The channels that I am receiving with audio: MPEG-4 HE-AAc v2

I've tried the DIVX AAC codec, but it plays in MONO and not in Stereo.

What codec should I use?

Thanks

I've installed everything, selected the codec in audio options.

After restarting the program I got the Sound!

BUT:

if I move mouse cursor over the AAC icon at the bottom of the program window, I see in the tooltip: "AAC Audio Mono"

(with divx aac i have sound but same "AAC Audio Mono" caption )

Please Help!

Edited by tolinn

Well, then most likely the broadcasted audio stream is mono. What makes you expect stereo?

If you think something is wrong please upload a short ts recording containing this audio stream, so I can have a closer look at it.

Strange:

When i right-click on the icon I get this:

22438301.jpg

Does it mean that broadcast is mono? Or only shows what codec decodes?

Is there a possibility that my my usb device can't receive stereo?

Does it mean that broadcast is mono? Or only shows what codec decodes?

The DVBViewer Filter (DVB Source) directly reads this information from the AAC headers before the stream is decoded.

I've checked your sample: According to the AAC headers there is only 1 channel, so it's for sure mono. Furthermore the average bitrate is 32 kbps - too low for stereo, even in case of HE AAC. Stereo AAC streams are usually broadcasted with at least 60 kbps.

Is there a possibility that my my usb device can't receive stereo?

No. DVB devices don't care about audio or video formats. They just deliver data packets, regardless of the content.

Anyway, thanks for the sample. It's the first one in my collection with AAC mono :)

You collect AAC videos?

I collect AAC samples for testing the libfaad2 wrapper, DVBViewer Filter etc., particularly from channels that we can't receive.

I've just received from a broadcasting company.

I asked them if the broadcast in stereo or mono, and they said it's in STEREO.

I just checked codec info using VLC:

43617929.png

Edited by tolinn
I just checked codec info using VLC:

Same here. The VLC Codec Details say your sample contains a stereo stream. But that's wrong. When I listen to the VLC output by using headphones the output is definitely mono. Try...

Most likely VLC also uses libfaad2 for decoding and displays the information that it got about the decoder output. I know this library quite well (from writing the libfaad2 wrapper), and I can tell you what it does: Like many audio decoders it outputs two channels in case of mono. But the channels are identical. The right channel is just a copy of the left channel.

And your broadcaster is also wrong. The channel information in the AAC header clearly indicates 1 channel. Believe me... I can read such things in the hex viewer.

Well maybe your right,

is there chance that the local transmitter transmits mono audio?

The transmitter is new, it's up for a less than a week (my local area didn't receive anything up-till now), so maybe it not transmitting stereo yet...

Anyway, in couple of days I should receive set top box tuner for my tv set.

And I will see what it says about the stream... It also can record on diskonkey so i will record and post.

Not a true TS file. Your set top box adds 4 extra bytes to each TS data packet. However, DVBViewer can play it if you rename it to .m2ts (which is at least similar to what your set top box does).

The contained AAC audio is mono.

• 1 year later...

I've a similar problem when listening to Slovene DVB-T in MPEG4/AVC and AAC (same codec as used in Norway, the provider is Norking in fact).

Only with VLC I can hear a clear audio, the DVBViewer and installed codec libfaad2 wrapper has lots of drop-outs (when watching TV) or skips lots of frames (when playing a TS file).

I've a similar problem when listening to Slovene DVB-T in MPEG4/AVC and AAC

I have received two .aac sample download URLs from Christian. DVBViewer Pro and GE are playing the files here with the libfaad2 wrapper without any audible drop-outs or other disturbances.