DivX DXVA H.264 decoder (free)

galmok

I just wanted to draw attention to the DivX H.264 DXVA decoder that DivX provides for free use. :)

DivX H.264 DXVA decoder

I tested it with a 1280x720 50 fps H.264 stream and cpu usage was generally below 1% (5-12% without DXVA enabled).

Once the codec is installed, open the DivX codec settings and enable DXVA (default disabled). Then restart DVBViewer. I think you need to use EVR.

Finally a working DXVA decoder. B)

Have fun. ;)

Hmm fortunately, I don't have access to 1080i streams. Can it handle 1080p streams (which I also do not have access to... if they are broadcast anywhere)?

The DXVA decoding is not handling stream errors (noise in broadcast) all too well. It doesn't crash, but compared to disabled DXVA, the DXVA decoding causes significant corruptions. It does recover after a few seconds, though.

The DXVA decoding is not handling stream errors (noise in broadcast) all too well. It doesn't crash, but compared to disabled DXVA, the DXVA decoding causes significant corruptions. It does recover after a few seconds, though.

If you have an ATI Gfx, and your feed is DVB-T, it could be the problem. ATI have problems with DVB-T and DXVA

Lastest build of ffdshow has also DXVA H264 decoder.

It's free and support many other codecs.

The ffdshow DXVA decoder does not work with TV though.

The ffdshow DXVA decoder does not work with TV though.

Just like the DXVA decoder from MPC doesn't work with DVB-T broadcasts. Apparently they have only implemented a subset of H264.

Just like the DXVA decoder from MPC doesn't work with DVB-T broadcasts. Apparently they have only implemented a subset of H264.

Apparently it is not that hard to add the ability, but every time someone tries to bring the subject up on the Doom9 forums they just ignore it.

I don't realy understand this discussion. In my opinion, you dont need to install anything else than Halii Media Splitter, then all should work, including DXVA (win 7), except ATI users with DVB-T and HD. They are stucked, if they have small processors that can't handle the load needed to run H.264, without DXVA

I don't realy understand this discussion. In my opinion, you dont need to install anything else than Halii Media Splitter, then all should work, including DXVA (win 7), except ATI users with DVB-T and HD. They are stucked, if they have small processors that can't handle the load needed to run H.264, without DXVA

Some codecs perform differently with different material, for example the Microsoft codec produces some distortion when tuning BBC HD for me. There is no distortion with CoreAVC, but I cannot achieve the best level of deinterlacing with that codec.

Edited by dvbrewer
If you have an ATI Gfx, and your feed is DVB-T, it could be the problem. ATI have problems with DVB-T and DXVA

Hmm you may be right. Watching DVB-T HD using Splash Lite from Mirillis causes the same corruptions as DivX DXVA HD264 decoder produces. Guess ATI is out of the question for a HTPC unless the CPU is fast enough.

• 2 weeks later...

this is not good for hd in any app, DVBViewer, progdvb, etc.

Deinterlace is crap with DivX.

Better than this is Arcsoft, Microsoft.( these 2 are the only ones that work ok for me on HD) with an terratec cinergy htc xs hd tuner.

Elecard, Mainconcept has same problem with deinterlace on HD material or mpeg2.

Cyberlink any version has problem with HD, some channels freeze or squares and artifacts appear.

fddshow is not working for live-tv.

It should do, just not the DXVA version.

ffdshow is not fast enough for 720p/50, at least not on a Core i7 920. ffdshow DXVA cannot handle DVB-T streams.

this is not good for hd in any app, DVBViewer, progdvb, etc.

Deinterlace is crap with DivX.

Better than this is Arcsoft, Microsoft.( these 2 are the only ones that work ok for me on HD) with an terratec cinergy htc xs hd tuner.

Elecard, Mainconcept has same problem with deinterlace on HD material or mpeg2.

Cyberlink any version has problem with HD, some channels freeze or squares and artifacts appear.

fddshow is not working for live-tv.

You may not like the DivX HD decoder, but you also didn't suggest any other free H264 decoder that works with DVB-T streams... :-/

DivX H264 decoder is the only free H264 decoder I found that can handle DVB-T streams (in software, DXVA doesn't work properly with ATI cards it seems).

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...15&start=15

on latest post are my arcsoft pack....:wacko:

DivX has problem with fast moving action, like sports, etc.

Framerate are low with divx as well.

Microsoft is good on HD, but has some deinterlace problem on mpeg2 on some digital sd channels.

That's why i use Arcsoft for mpeg2 and Microsoft for HD.

Or Arcsoft for both mpeg2 and HD.

dxva for ati ok with micrsoft codec on windows 7

radeon hd 3200

1080i hdtv isdbt-b

Thank you for this information, but I am having problems with H264 over DVB-T and isdbt-b is different somehow (not sure how).

But I have tested 2 different ways to use DXVA on my ATI card and both failed with DVB-T H264. (Splash Lite and DivX HD DXVA). They fail in an identical way (same kind of display corruption which non-DXVA decoding doesn't show). The common part is ATI, DXVA, H264 and DVB-T... change one and the issue seems to go away.

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...15&start=15

on latest post are my arcsoft pack....:)

DivX has problem with fast moving action, like sports, etc.

Framerate are low with divx as well.

Microsoft is good on HD, but has some deinterlace problem on mpeg2 on some digital sd channels.

That's why i use Arcsoft for mpeg2 and Microsoft for HD.

Or Arcsoft for both mpeg2 and HD.

I can't recognize the low framerate issue with DivX HD decoder. I get 50 decoded frames per second as I should. I also see no problems with fast moving action, but that could be an issue with your low framterate. You need high performance cpu to decode H264 in software, but why not enable DXVA with DivX HD (supported and free and a no-hassle install, except you may experience display corruption as I do if you use ATI hardware)?

I don't have Windows 7 and as such cannot test Microsofts H264 decoder. And Arcsoft sounds like software decoder and I already have DivX working. I just wanted to construct a HTPC and currently it seems I have to go with nVidia for DXVA enabled decoding (asuming nVidia decodes flawlessly).

It seems that Divx HD codec has some option in Control Panel.

But for that you need to install all Divx setup, go to Program Files/Divx, and look for Control Panel exe.

Change here Hardware acc and so.

Now is working ok.

Edit : I have an monster CPU, an Quad 4 Ghz.

Arcsoft is Dxva 1 and Dxva 2.0.

What i just notice, after few minutes of live-tv on HD with DVBViewer and Arcsoft image freeze.

Same with Cyberlink ( any version of hd codec).

Live-tv is ok , no freezing, with Divx and Microsoft.

Maybe DVBViewer is not optimised for Arcsoft and Cyberlink.

Or maybe my nvidia drivers are crap.

Interesting... I have never had noticable issues with Cyberlink H264 decoder (9, 10), DXVA accelerated on NV 9600GT. It just keeps playing live HDTV channels for hours without interuption. Sure it freezes or pixelates now and then but it's quite rare and not really disturbing (even for recordings).

unchecking the USE CUSTOM RENDERERS at: Settings > Options > Directx

improved the performance here.

ATI HD 3200

Microsoft codec for audio and video

Windows 7 x64

ISDBTb (brazilian update of japanese ISDBT) (H264 + AAC)

• 4 months later...

I could use Evr Custom all day, but with D3D Exclusive Mode set to OFF.

I i set D3D Exclusive Mode to ON, when i start DVBViewer and i execute Fullscreen command program freeze.

So, Evr Custom is working with D3D Exclusive Mode OFF, with microsoft codecs( for video) and ac3filter(audio).

Also, i find out that mainconcept v7 work for HD very good,image are ok, but when i switch channels for 1-2 seconds image are pixelated, with Nero the same situation.

Arcsoft crashes some time now, on hd or sd.

DivX has codec only for HD, and sometimes this one also freeze the image. THe most stable codec for me is Microsoft.

All of these are with v4.5 testing and win7.

Some users does not know that situation of codecs is diferent between Win7 and Xp, on XP with Overlay all are working good, with a lot of codecs.

Evr Custom Mode even today in 2010 does not have the cristal image of Overlay.

Edited by bogdan1980