Missing sound in TS recordings

Hi there

I am using DVBViewer to record channels using IPTV. When I record standard SD channels, I have both audio and video, but when I record from a HD channel, it records in TS format, and the audio is missing.

Any ideas what I can have done wrong.

PS. When I watch HD channels in DVBViewer the audio is playing normally, the problem only occurs when I record.

Br

TGM

There are several possible reasons for this issue. You can download tools from the members area allowing to analyze such TS files, particularly the TSPlayer and TransEdit - after having installed TransEdit simply drop the file on the icon to start the Analyzer. It will show you all contained streams and their type.

Or upload a 10..20 MB recording, so I can have a look at it.

Finally I have tried to load my TS file into TSplayer, and here it works fine, sound is perfect, so the sound track is present. But everytime I try to play it in MS Mediaplayer, the sound is gone.

Is this a codec problem, or just that MS Mediaplayer isn't compantible with TS A/V files?

But everytime I try to play it in MS Mediaplayer, the sound is gone.

It depends on the splitter/demultiplexer and the audio decoder used by the player. What type of audio is it? MPEG? AC3? AAC?

The sound is AAC, it is what DVBViewer has recorded it in, I can't find where to change that.(If I should)

I have tried to install a AAC codec on my computer, but the sound is still missing when I play it in MS Mediaplayer.

I have also tried several video converters, but either they crash with these TS files, or they are not compatible with the audio or video. Do any know of a stable reliable program that can convert TS files into MPG2/AVI/MKV, and that does not requrie a masters degree in computerprogramming?

->Griga, I tried to upload a sample, but I am only allowed to upload 256K, which is to small for a TS file (7 sec=7 Mb)

Thanks

Edited by TGM

What is your OS? XP? Vista? Win7?

I tried to upload a sample, but I am only allowed to upload 256K, which is to small for a TS file

You'll have to use some web hoster like rapidshare.

Thanks for the sample... as I thought. It contains that modern LOAS/LATM-packaged type of AAC audio. Only few demultiplexer/splitter filters (DirectShow components) can cope with it, and I guess the Windows Mediaplayer uses a demultiplexer/splitter that isn't able to detect that type of audio. The DVBViewer Filter (DVBSource) knows how to deal with it, but it's only available for our products.

Try the following: Go to Options -> DirectX in DVBViewer and untick "Use DVBViewer Filter for TS/M2TS", thus letting DVBViewer use another TS demultiplexer (probably the same as WMP). Then try to play the file. Do you get audio? Check the view -> filters menu. It will show (among other filters) the used demultiplexer/splitter. Which one is it?

->Griga: I tried to remove the tick in "Use DVBViewer Filter for TS/M2TS", then record a new sample from the HD channel, and then play it in MS Mediaplayer, but still no sound :-(

I have attached a screenshoot of my current settings under View->Filters

->Derrick: If I understand your post correctly, then I can confirm that the TS files plays perfectly inside e.g. TSPlayer, just not inside MS Mediaplayer.

post-94219-1274808034_thumb.jpg

I never use MS Mediaplayer ;) This is about DVBViewer. Otherwise:

..and I guess the Windows Mediaplayer uses a demultiplexer/splitter that isn't able to detect that type of audio. The DVBViewer Filter (DVBSource) knows how to deal with it, but it's only available for our products.
Griga: I tried to remove the tick in "Use DVBViewer Filter for TS/M2TS", then record a new sample from the HD channel, and then play it in MS Mediaplayer, but still no sound :-(

You were supposed to play it in DVBViewer with this setting unticked, in order to find out if you encounter the same problem as in WMP. Of course the DVBViewer settings have no influence on WMP. That's just a test.

The sound is AAC, it is what DVBViewer has recorded it in, I can't find where to change that.(If I should)

I have tried to install a AAC codec on my computer, but the sound is still missing when I play it in MS Mediaplayer.

I have also tried several video converters, but either they crash with these TS files, or they are not compatible with the audio or video. Do any know of a stable reliable program that can convert TS files into MPG2/AVI/MKV, and that does not requrie a masters degree in computerprogramming?

->Griga, I tried to upload a sample, but I am only allowed to upload 256K, which is to small for a TS file (7 sec=7 Mb)

Thanks

Why do you want to use WMP to play those files? DVBViewer is at far better choice. With Win 7 and DVBViewer, you can play almost everything. I do not know from wich country you are from, but if you use subtitles, you will also encounter problem with this in WMP

Okay, I tried to play the TS file in DVBViewer, but got an error "Cannot render Mediafile/Output Pin, error: 0x80040217(And then translated from Danish: "No combination of temporay filters could be found, which could create ...", when I enable "Use DVBViewer Filter for TS/M2TS" again, it works.

->Mcenterfreak: I have tried to convert the files with Videoredo TVSuite(version 3.1.5.564), but it comes with the error "H.264/AVC video stream are not yet supported" and that was the latest verison I could find on their website.

EDITED: Later I found that there was a VideoReDo version 4 with H.264, I will try that later today"

Edited by TGM