Codec suggestion for new install

Zero7

I did a clean install of Win7 32bit on my HTPC last week. I installed latest DVBViewer beta. Also, I have Arcsoft Total Media theater 3 installed (but codec not showing up in DVBV) . Now, I need recommendation from experts on installing suitable codecs as I don't want to install all available ones like I did earlier :)

My hardware config:

Intel Q9300 CPU

4GB ram

Nvidia 8500GT GPU

You don't need to install anything. Codecs are build into Win 7. They should show up as Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder.

If you are recieveing AC3 broadcasts, you need to install AC3Filter

You don't need to install anything. Codecs are build into Win 7. They should show up as Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder.

The MS DTV decoder can´t handle 720p signals

Thanks for the replies. MS codecs are working fine here. But I was thinking if additional codecs will help improve picture. I use this mainly for watching videos / films and do not watch TV programs much. I was thinking of installing ffdshow to upscale SD videos.

I think CoreAVC is your safest bet for HD/H264 channels.

The Microsoft HD decoder works ok, but on some channels I get garbled image. Not so with CoreAVC.

Of course, you can also try ffdshow which is free.

For SD channels, I'd recommend Dscaler5 as a high quality MPEG-2 decoder.

You can combine it with the video post-processor plug-in for DVBViewer and ffdshow (its resize filter) to get very nicely upscaled SD video quality.

Just don't use Dscaler's audio decoder, anything else should work fine, including Microsoft's.

Edited by Laserwave
  • 3 weeks later...

I did a clean install of Win7 32bit on my HTPC last week. I installed latest DVBViewer beta. Also, I have Arcsoft Total Media theater 3 installed (but codec not showing up in DVBV) . Now, I need recommendation from experts on installing suitable codecs as I don't want to install all available ones like I did earlier :)

My hardware config:

Intel Q9300 CPU

4GB ram

Nvidia 8500GT GPU

If you have TMT3 installed, then you have access to the best codecs around...

I read on this forum some while back how to register and use the codecs from arcsoft...

I use arcsoft codecs and believe me, it's the best you can get...

If you have TMT3 installed, then you have access to the best codecs around...

I read on this forum some while back how to register and use the codecs from arcsoft...

I use arcsoft codecs and believe me, it's the best you can get...

Thanks Balky. I lurked through the forum and Google and found that TMT3 codecs cannot be used. Earlier version of Arcsoft apps allow the codec usage but not TMT3 and PDVD10. It would be great help if some one has better info.

Win7 build-in video codec is working perfectly for all my format, mpeg2 h264 1080/720 etc.

I've tried FFDshow and Cyberlink mpeg/H264 codec, Win7 codec still better.

Previously I also got corrupt video with MS-HD codec,

after updated video driver, everything is fixed.

For audio, FFDshow and AC3filter is recommend.