DVB Task Scheduler

I've just uploaded a new DVBViewer add-on to the Service Center.

The DVB Task Scheduler converts scheduled DVBViewer recordings to Windows tasks, that automatically wake your PC up from hibernate/standby mode and/or launch the DVBViewer at the scheduled time.

It facilitates creating these Windows tasks manually, and can even be set up to do it automatically on certain events, e.g. when the DVBViewer is closed.

Please note: The current version is still 'beta' and provided for test purpose only! Though it already proved to work pretty well, it is not guaranteed that it will also work flawlessly on your computer. Before letting it schedule important recordings, run some tests by yourself!

The scheduler functions will sooner or later be included in the DVBViewer... so the purpose of this test project is to gain some experience and to find out how it can be done best. Please give us feedback! And read the ReadMe - some things (especially the automatic scheduling) are a bit tricky...

Griga

Zwischenablage01.png

OK folks, already two minor bugs found (thanks to tatzenboy) and a fixed version uploaded...

- Auto-Minimze didn't work

- Remembering the last screen position didn't work. Automatically centering the window on the desktop caused problems in two-monitors-settings.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Please add (may be optional) the movie title in the task list overwiew, no just date & time & channel.

Your wish become true.

I've uploaded a new version. (v1.5)

Now you can see the descrition in the task list overview of the Scheduler and in the filename of the task.

• 3 weeks later...

A new version is available (v1.7)

Changes:

The soon appearing 3.0 Pro will write to a XML file. (before: ini file)

You need this update, if you want to use the Scheduler with DVBViewer 3.0 Pro

v1.7.1 :

a little extension for cmostimer.exe

v1.7.2:

changed: some improvements for the use with cmostimer.exe

new: the ability to execute a program before Standby, Hibernate or Shutdown

fixed: a shutdown problem with win9X systems

Edited by Hartwig
  • 7 months later...

A new Version (v1.8.2) is available

new: the Scheduler can start the DVBViewer minimized. But there is a big restriction. The Pro Version only accepts one parameter at startup. The consequence is, if you use the option "Restart DVBViewer without tuning last channel", you can't use this new Option at the same time. It only works together with DVBViewer GE.

• 3 months later...

I'm running ver. 1.8.99.14 of the taskscheduler - so far it's working fine.

If it wouldn't be too much trouble it would be nice if it had the following 2 extra features.

1) Run Before Schedule (textbox pointing to a file)

2) Run After Schedule (textbox pointing to a file)

This would make it possible for the more advanced user to run a batch script before and after each schedule.

Why the need to run external .EXE .BAT .CMD files ?

Well, in my case I need to close certain CPU hungry apps before doing a schedule recording. When the scheduled recording has finished I would like my external jobs to resume again.

Cancer research apps, folding at home etc.

I can control it all through a simple CMD file.

I am also doing VLCplayer streaming which again takes up CPU, this can easily be stopped with a CMD file. Ok Ill stop now..hehe.

Regards Elo

Well, in my case I need to close certain CPU hungry apps before doing a schedule recording.
hmm, but there is a little problem. Before, it will only work, if the DVBViewer is closed and will be started by a task. The same after a recording. It works only, if you close the DVBiewer (automatically).

at the moment, you can run a file before starting the DVBViewer over a task. Have a look at the scheduler.ini: "LaunchedFile=DVBViewer.exe".

There you can select a file to run. (But dont forget to start the DVBViewer with the new file) The file must be in the root of the DVBViewer directory. you can use an .exe or a .bat file. in the next Version you can use another part and .vbs files, too.

certain CPU hungry apps

Do you have problems with it? I can do all i want during a recording without errors.

Ok I tried the "LaunchedFile" trick and it works, but I'm still missing the "run after schedule".

Why not just add the 2 before/after tasks sandwiched in between the main taskscheduled DVBViewer.

When I add a movie to the timer in DVBViewer ex. @ 23.30 oclock. The movie ends at 01.00.

I then close DVBViewer, dvbtaskscheduler takes over here, adding a new job to the MS taskscheduler starting at 23.30 (I know it can be configured to start a bit earlier - but lets keep it simple for now).

Now, the dvbtaskscheduler app should examine wether or not the two fields "Run Before Schedule" and "Run After Schedule" have been filled out by the user.

If this is the case then add 2 new jobs in the MS taskscheduler like this;

1) Run Before Schedule at 23.29

2) Run After Schedule at 01.01

The MS task scheduler should now look like this chronologically:

1) Run Before Schedule at 23.29

2) Run DVBViewer at 23.30

3) Run After Schedule at 01.01

3 items per. scheduled timer-program.

Movie ends at 01.00 - this gives DVBViewer 1 minute to close itself down, this should be enough.

/Elo

If this is the case then add 2 new jobs in the MS taskscheduler like this;
thats not a good idea. What happens if the recording ends and the DVBViewer doesnt shutdown due to another recording? the third Task will start...

But I can make an option to run a file before DVBViewer starts and to run a file, if DVBViewer is shutting down.

is that OK??

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Give full control to dvbtaskscheduler instead of adding new MS scheduler jobs.

Btw. what happens if DVBViewer doesn't shut down properly. etc. still hanging around as a process. Will you still be able to run the file after DVBViewer closes ? Or will it only run after DVBViewer has ended itself 100%.

The first would be preferable. Maybe adding a delay of 30 secs (maybe user defined). If DVBViewer hasn't ended itself within 30s, then the external "after" file is launched.

Normally my DVBViewer closes down fine, though I have seen a few hangs from time to time - and I need to run my batch jobs everytime.

regards

Elo

A new Version (v2.0.0.0) is available.

new: now you can hand over any freely defined parameter to the DVBViewer. The parameters will be send with the following sequence. At first, the new, freely defineable parameter, then the optional parameter for standby (Restart without tuning last channel) and at last the optional parameter for "Start minimizes".

Attention: not every version of the DVBViewer supports more than one parameter (older versions). If your version doesnt support it, only the first one will be executed.

new: The option "Restart on Resume" (known from the Scheduler.ini) is now inside the Options of the Scheduler available.

new: Now you can run more then one instance manually started at the same time. In the tooltip of the trayicon you can distinguish the instances.

new: You can execute a file before the DVBViewer starts by a task and after the DVBViewer shut down. You'll find it in the Settings2 tab. There you can enter a *.exe, *.bat or *.vbs file. Enter the full path to a file, or if the file is in the same directory than the Scheduler, only the filename will be enought. The time to wait is the time, the scheduler stops work, after executing the file.

The file "before" will be executed every time the DVBViewer starts by a task.

The file "after" will be executed every time you close the DVBViewer.

But if both is set, the file "after" will only be executed, if the DVBViewer was started by a task before.

fixed: There was a little bug, if you use UserMode 1 or 2 in Usermode.ini. Now it should work.

fixed: A problem with executing standby under Windows 98

fixed: a little problem, if the scheduler is used in manual mode and in automatic mode at the same time.

changed: full version info

• 11 months later...

A new beta version is available: v2.0.2beta

new: a better cooperation between DVBServer, DVBViewer Pro and the DVB Task Scheduler

Before you use this version, you should make some tests to verify the functionality.

Attention!!

This beta doesn't work with older versions of the DVBViewer. You will need at last DVBViewer pro v3.60 or DVBViewer GE 2.2.2beta or higher.

if you use an older version, the DVBViewer will not start during executing a task!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I have question about DVB Task Schenduler.

I am using my pc as dedicated htpc and want to use

Task Schedulser for Standby but there is annoying 10s delay when Scheduler starts in Auto-Minimizing mode. Is it possible to start Scheduler in hidden mode without delay so it wont show UI at startup.

You dont need to start task scheduler manually. Check the option "use windows taskmanager" inside DVBViewer options and the DVBViewer will automatically use the task scheduler and you will never see him. :)

You dont need to start task scheduler manually. Check the option "use windows taskmanager" inside DVBViewer options and the DVBViewer will automatically use the task scheduler and you will never see him. ;)

Seems that in automatic mode scheduler wont start DVBViewer after resuming from standby.

Maybe i have configured something wrong but i can't get it work.

Only in Scheduler manual mode (when scheduler is running in systray) it starts DVBViewer after resuming from standby.

Seems that in automatic mode scheduler wont start DVBViewer after resuming from standby.

Maybe i have configured something wrong but i can't get it work.

Only in Scheduler manual mode (when scheduler is running in systray) it starts DVBViewer after resuming from standby.

yes, thats right. In this case, you must start it manually.

But you can set the time to minimize to a minimum of 1 sec.

open scheduler.ini and add an entry

MinimizeDelay=1

below the section

[frmScheduler]

Is that enough for you??

yes, thats right. In this case, you must start it manually.

But you can set the time to minimize to a minimum of 1 sec.

open scheduler.ini and add an entry

MinimizeDelay=1

below the section

[frmScheduler]

Is that enough for you??

Thank you for this information.

Maybe next version of dvbscheduler has possibility to completly hidden startup (feature request) ;)

Right now i am using scheduler in automatic mode and for starting DVBViewer after resume i use "HibernateTrigger.exe". this is nice little program. Startups completly minimized to systray and has possibility to run script before going standby and after resuming from standby.

1s is way better than 10s but it still shows GUI and i dont like that :(

I like to have all in one solution so i am looking forward to see next version of scheduler ;)