Narrow picture

bramble

DVBViewer works fine, but then occasionally the screen width (either in a window or full screen) changes to about two thirds of its normal width on the left side of the screen. The third of the screen on the right is blank. The image appears squeezed.

Changing the source filter from DVBViewer filter to another filter corrects it, but I have different problems with the other filters. When I switch back to the DVBViewer filter, it'll work for a while, but then, when I make one channel change too many, it becomes narrow again.

SkyStar 2 PCI card

DVBViewer 2.1

B2C2 Broadband Receiver PCI Adapter driver 4.2.11.9999

I don't use broadband. I just use DVBViewer to watch Sky free to air TV and radio channels on Astra 28.2E and Eurobird 28.5E.

Am I making a silly mistake or is this a known problem?

Many thanks.

Which filters are listed under View/ Filters, when you get the squeezed picture?

Are there any alternatives in Settings/ Options/ DirectShow Filters/ DVB Source/ Video Decoders? Did you try them?

Thank you for the suggestions.

I've now turned off Fast Channel Switching as 2/3 width exactly describes my problem. Longer term I would prefer Fast Channel Switching.

The AV Codec Settings Source Filters under Video show:

Ligos MPEG Video Decoder

Nero Mpeg Video Decoder

Is it worth trying one on these instead of <Auto>?

Many thanks.

Which filters are listed under View/ Filters, when you get the squeezed picture?

@bramble: You didn't anwer this question. If you want good support, you've got to provide information.

Anyway - there are two obvious problems:

- The DVD Express Video Decoder is missing, whiich usually is installed with the DVBViewer TechniSat Edition. Did you uninstall it before installing DVBViewer 2.1? This it not recommended. Both versions can co-exist in different folders.

- The Nero Decoder is known to be quite intrusive. Probably you'll find that it will be used (see View/Filters) even when you select another one. In this case, download the Radlight Filter Manager from the Service Center, go to the filters list/ DirectShow/ Nero Video Decoder and give it a merit value of MERIT_UNLIKELY. Please note that you have to log off/ log on or restart your PC for this to take effect.

<Auto> lets DirectShow select one of the decoders that are present in your system - usually the one with the highest merit value. If you want to know what's best - just try them all.

I apologise for not answering the question about Views/Filters. They are:

Video Renderer

Default WaveOut Device

Nero Digital Audio Decoder

Nero Mpeg Video Decoder

Mpeg2 Demultiplexer

From what Griga has said about DVD Express Video Decoder Being missing, do you recommend:

1) Uninstall DVBViewer 2.1

2) Reinstall DVBViewer TE from Technisat 4.2.11

3) Reinstall DVBViewer 2.1

4) Download Radlight Filter Manager

5) Set Nero Video Decoder merit value to MERIT_UNLIKELY

Many thanks for all your help.

Guest DAvenger

Indeed, the Nero decoders cause a lot of problems. I think Ahead is limiting their use in applications other than Nero Media Player. Try anything else (WinDVD, PowerDVD, DVDExpress) - but Nero. Chances are that a DVD player is a part of the software bundle of your Motherboard/Graphics card. ;)

do you recommend: 1) Uninstall DVBViewer 2.1 2) Reinstall DVBViewer TE from Technisat 4.2.11 3) Reinstall DVBViewer 2.1

Yes - that should be safe. Make sure that they are installed to different folders.

Default Waveout Device for audio output will cause problems if you use the Audio Recorder and/or Preview Plugin. Use Default DirectShow Device, if possible.