Brazilian terrestrial (ISDB-TB) subtitles (Closed Caption)

Andre Bires

Hi,

DVBViewer is compatible with ISDB-TB (the brazilian terrestrial standard), but the only problem is the subtitles (closed caption, not DVB subtitles...): Using the software that comes with the receptor (Presto HD), I can watch movies with closed captions, but I can´t do the same with DVBViewer. They´re never avaiable on context menu. I´ve tried change every configuration of subtitles in the program, without success. I´m using the lastest version and tried beta version (4.3.1) too. My receiver is a USB DiBcom DI8070 device.

I have recorded a piece of a movie with TransEdit (full capture) in a TS file (50mb), maybe the developers of the program could help the brazilian users :)

Thank you in advance!

TS file link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/414961863/Brasil_-_Terrestrial_587000_08-23_23-26-03.rar

Are you sure that there are some captions inside this recording? Unluckily i did not found something useful in there. Can you record a longer stream inside Transedit without Audio and Video and NULL packages? I suppose half an hour would be enough and should not take more than 30mb at all.

Christian

PS: Yet another format for subtitles *tzz*

Are you sure that there are some captions inside this recording?

Have a look at the Private PES (Packetized Elementary Stream, see PMT). The TransEdit Hex Viewer shows that there is text inside the data packets. Dunno if this is the desired "closed caption"...

P.S. The PES contains PTS (Presentation Time Stamps), so I guess it's something supposed to be displayed in time.

Zwischenablage01.png

Have a look at the Private PES (Packetized Elementary Stream, see PMT). The TransEdit Hex Viewer shows that there is text inside the data packets. Dunno if this is the desired "closed caption"...

P.S. The PES contains PTS (Presentation Time Stamps), so I guess it's something supposed to be displayed in time.

Yes, this text is the subtitles for the piece of the movie!

"Que você é um atirador maluco e devia estar numa jaula."

The zip is quite fine :) I suppose it might help to get a bit more (maybe from different streams) of these subtitles. Right now i just implemented (feeled) 1% of the required tables and at least i get the captions out without any errors:

Não, eu já resolvi.

Mas, sabe que eudescobri uma coisa?

O quê?

Que você é um atirador malucoe devia estar numa jaula.

[ Pancadas e gemidos ]

[ Tiros ]

Muito bem. Estamosmomentaneamente ferrados!

E não quero vocêstagarelando comoduas garotinhas!

Christian

I captured more samples:

1. This contains all PIDs except video, audio and null packages. It lasts few minutes:

http://rapidshare.com/files/415362789/Brazil_Terrestrial_587000_08-26_21-40-31.ts

2. This is a longer capture from PID 288 only:

http://rapidshare.com/files/415363477/Brazil_Terrestrial_587000_08-26_21-59-14.ts

Unfortunally I could not get from other streams, because today I was unable to find another channel with subtitles. It depends of the programs and here in my city we have only 5 digital open channels. But maybe later I can get it.

Great work Christian! Thanks for your consideration :D

People, a colleague from a brazilian forum asked me to post this:

I believe it is not right to decode a fixed PID believing it will contain closed caption data, as ISDB-Tb documents say:

http://www.dtv.org.br/download/en-en/ABNTNBR15604_2007Ing_2008.pdf

8.1.3 Primary service decoding

8.1.3.1 Primary service identification

At the sequential selection of channels defined for each broadcaster (physical channels), and that have multiple

programs (logical channels), the receiver shall start the video reproduction associated to the service identified

as primary.

8.1.3.2 ES primary

The primary ES is defined as the components or set of components that are the first ones to be exhibited when

the service is selected. The field that defines this value is the component_tag.

When an ES is chosen and its content is decoded, the receiver shall continue decoding this ES, no matter if it is

at an event or among events, and shall keep this way until the user decides choosing another ES.

8.1.3.3 Designation of component_tag values

In order to ensure the ES continued exhibition in the receiver, the component_tag field of a stream_type shall

not be changed, except for the user’s intervention.

In the multiple programming, the primary ES for a set of components shall be identified by the component_tag

values of a stream_type among the component_tag values in the components descriptor group, according to

Table 7, which defines the values of the component_tag for each component type and specially, fixes the values

for primary ES.

Table 7 — Designation of component_tag values

component_type component_tag values

Video

a

Full-seg receiver

0x00 to 0x0F, where:

- 0x00 shall be designed to the primary ES video

Audio

a

Full-seg receiver

0x10 to 0x2F, where:

- 0x10 shall be designed to the primary ES audio

Others

b

0x30 to 0x7F, where:

- 0x30 shall be designed to the main both subtitle and closed caption

- 0x38 shall be designed to the main text overlap

- 0x40 shall be designed to the primary ES data

- 0x31 to 0x37 designed to the secondary both subtitle and closed caption

- 0x39 to 0x3F designed to the secondary text overlap

Portable receiver

One-seg

0x80 to 0x8F, where:

- 0x80 shall be designed to the primary data carrousel

- 0x81 shall be designed to the primary video stream

- 0x83 or 0x85 shall be designed to the primary audio stream

Reserved 0x90 to 0xFF

a

Values individually attributed for each video and audio stream.

b Other different video and audio stream types may be included.

I've highlited in red the TAG that indentifies the PID associated with the Closed Caption stream. So, during initial channel tunning, when finding-out which PIDs are assigned to the primary video, primary audio and so on, you can figure out which PID is assigned to the closed caption stream looking for 0x30 tag.

Edited by Andre Bires

Nobody said, we use a fixed PID. This has to be extracted from the PMT and then processed.

That's also the reason this feature will NOT make it into the next release, cause this would need some major rework of the subtitle code stuff and since we will publish a release candidat in the next days that's a no go.

Nobody said, we use a fixed PID. This has to be extracted from the PMT and then processed.

That's also the reason this feature will NOT make it into the next release, cause this would need some major rework of the subtitle code stuff and since we will publish a release candidat in the next days that's a no go.

The question here was a little out of context because I was struggling to find another stream with subtitles, so we were questioning if the PID was fixed to the other channels or not. Anyway, it was only to be registered. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I've finally found time to implement the ARIB STD-B37 specification into the DVBViewer. It was/is quite tricky especially since the specs are written in japanese :>

Anyway it works with these two Files i own, at least it looks like the subtitle is equal to the spoken content. To be on the safe side i might need more Samples. The bigger the file, the better it will be. So if there is somebody able to provide us a few GB it would be great.

Image2.jpg

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally found time to implement the ARIB STD-B37 specification into the DVBViewer. It was/is quite tricky especially since the specs are written in japanese :>

Anyway it works with these two Files i own, at least it looks like the subtitle is equal to the spoken content. To be on the safe side i might need more Samples. The bigger the file, the better it will be. So if there is somebody able to provide us a few GB it would be great.

post-1-083723800 1288274696_thumb.jpg

Christian

I got new captures, not so big but maybe can be useful.

1. 50 MB - 07:07 minutes - Without video / null packages PIDs

http://rapidshare.com/files/429696546/Brazil_Terrestrial_587000_11-08_22-54-59.ts

2. 13 MB - 03:45 minutes - Only PIDs from 1SEG service (PID 289 contains the subtitles)

http://rapidshare.com/files/429697007/Brazil_Terrestrial_587000_11-08_23-09-57.ts

If you need a different capture, like a full video one, let me know.

Do you have any idea when this functionality will be available?

Thanks!

Awesome thanks, by the way the subtitles inside the last 50mb stream are working fine, since the video is missing and only the audio is available you can easier focus on the written and spoken text.

Awesome thanks, by the way the subtitles inside the last 50mb stream are working fine, since the video is missing and only the audio is available you can easier focus on the written and spoken text.

Great news! Please let us know when an release (including beta) with subtitle support will be avaiable. B)

• 1 month later...

Great news! Please let us know when an release (including beta) with subtitle support will be avaiable. B)

Pois é, estamos a ver navios, já faz mais de 1 mês que a função está pronta e ainda não temos ela pra assistirmos TV com CC.

The function is complete and will be available in the next release. Just stay patient, there are still some other issues open which has to be solved before we publish a new version.

sample.jpg

The function is complete and will be available in the next release. Just stay patient, there are still some other issues open which has to be solved before we publish a new version.

post-1-0-53081600-1293557707_thumb.jpg

Está ótimo, vamos aguardar mais então.

Obrigado por responder.

• 1 year later...

Hello. I bought DVBViewer a few weeks ago and I noticed that the closed claptions do not work correctly. It seams an issue with unicode because the tilde, accents, are not appearing correctly.

Can anyone confirm? Is there a fix for that?

Does the developer knows about it?

Regards

Yes, it is a known issue (at least to me :)), and it's already fixed in a new subtitle engine. However, it is not complete and not integrated in DVBViewer yet. May take some time...