recording service set up issues

cheenis

Hello,

I'm trying to set up the recording service and I've got stuck at the set up of unicode devices. I've put in all the ip addresse and server port numbers as described in the guide, but I get nothing in the autodiscover serverlist box. I've clearly done something wrong, but just can't work out what it is. Can anybody help me unwravel what I have done so I can get this set up and running please?

Happy to provide any info, but I am new to this so may need some guidance.

Appreciate your help and patience!

support.zip

I have made a mini guide. Dont know if it can help you:

On the server:

1. Install DVBViewer, configure it, scan channels, make shure everything works.

2. Install Recording Service

3. In DVBViewer go to Settings>Options>Hardware and select Do not use in State section for Tuners you want to share

4. Select Start>All Programs>DVBViewer>DVBViewer Recording Service>Service Options

5. Write down the port numbers for Unicast Interface, and Control Server. Mine is 3456 and 4022

6. Tick Activate Autdiscovery, write down portnumber, usualy 600

7. In Web Settings write Username and Password

On the Client

1. Install DVBViewer.Do not install any tuners in the Setup phase

2. In DVBViewer go to Settings>Options>Hardware. Clik the + button. select the number of Unicast tuners (the number of Tuners you have shared on the server)

3. Select Normal in State for every Device

4. For each device: Click Settings. In DVB Control Server write the IP adress of the server (you can find it with Start>CMD>ipconfig on the server)

5. Do the same in DVB Unicast Device

6. Write the Control Server port, mine was 4022

7. Write Unicast Server port, mine was 3456

8. In Autodiscovery Server list, the name of the Server should appear

9. In Options>Recording Servicetick Enable Support for Recording Service. write the IP adress of the server and the Username and password from server (point 7 above)

10. Click Test Connection. If all is okay, the name and version of Recording Service should appear, otherwise it wil say FAILED

If everything is okay, you should now be able to scan channels on the client

If it fails, try to disable firewalls on the server

If it only works with firewall disabled, you need to open the ports mentioned above in the firewall and grant permission to DVBViewer.exe and dvbservice.exe

Fantasitc, thanks for this. I'll give it a go when I get home. Sounds like it is all around my firewalls. In the drop down I only got 2 IP addresses and it said there shoudl be 3 so I thought something may be wrong there but cracked on. so I'll have a look at the firewalls and see if I can understand them - it's not my area of expertise!

My only other question is related to the fact that servers keep being mentioned. I'm probably asking a stupid question here as I don't think I understand the whole server vs pc distinction. My set up is that I have a USB skystar box plugged into a PC. It is set up and run as a PC on XP home edition. Do I have to do something special to set up a server or is my PC now considered to be a server? Do I have to install some software or partition part of my drives to run as a server and then connect to that differently?

Basically I use and run everything on a PC, it just happens to be plugged into my main TV, the recording service and the DVBViewer software was just installed on my C drive and I'm trying to set it up - if I have made a schoolboy error and should have put it somewhere else or installed some s/ware to create a virtual server then please can somebody let me know and poitn me at resources so I can do what I need to?

In the mean time I will follow the guide below to the letter and hopefully I'll get success!

Thanks again for your help - really apprecaited.

The Client/Server issue is not very complicated. Just consider Recording Service as an application that serves on or more clients, and DVBViewer as one of thise clients. Recording service recieves the signals form the provider, and distributes this via IP. It dosent matter if the client is located on the same machine where the server is located, the client and server communicate in excactly the same way. To simplify the firewall issues, disable it totaly until it works, then enable it again. The you can be sure that all problems arelocated in the firewall, and need to be solved there.

Right, I've moved this on now but still not there yet.

I switched off my McAfee firewall and the window XP firewall and I now get two entries in the autodiscovery serverlist (from dbvviewer pro->options->hardware->unicast Network device->settings) which i didn't get before. Happy man.

I've noted down the DVB Control Server address (I'll refer to this as IP1) and the server port (4022) from the network settings dialogue box (dbvviewer pro->options->hardware->unicast Network device->settings) along with the DVB Unicast device (exactly the same a IP1, but with server port of 3456 - buffers=7 and Interface is set to 'Automatic') Discovery port = 600.

I go to the recording service from the options menu, tick the 'enable upport for the DVBView Recordingservice and enter IP1:server port into the service address and webport - it now reads: xyz.xyz.xyz.x:4022 where the xyz's are the ip address IP1. I've put in the (and checked) the user name and password, click on 'test connection' and it is coming back as FAILED. I've tried thi with the 3456 port, without a pot number and with the other ip address I have (ipconfig came back with two ips). None of them work.

Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong? I thought I had it when I got the entries in the autodiscovery list, but unfortunately not.

Thanks McenterFreak for your help again - the explanation of the server business was surpemely useful. I understand it now.

Edited by cheenis

Funny. I just wanted to do some screenshots from my DVBViewer, to show you my configuration, but i got excactly the same problem, test connection reports FAILED. But the funny thing is that everything works fine

I think i will report it as a bug in the Betatest\english\recording service

Maybe it is an error as it certainly triggers a recording now and will hibernate my machine, wake it up, etc. so it seems to work... however! The recordings are bizarre. I'm not getting pictures or sounds & I tend to get multiple files (both text documents and .ts files) I've done it with .mpg as well and the same result. It seems to start new files all the time and there is no content in the files themselves.

Had friends over on the weekend so didn't have a chance to fiddle, I'll try again this week, but if this is ringing any bells with you (or anybody else) then help is always very much apprecaited. The epg is also not downloading properly, but once I get it working I'll look at that - I'm sure there will be another thread on it already. I'm happy for over the air or internet epg as long as it is accurate I can do either.

I'm assuming that with the recording service I can just set it to record everything that contains a keyword; e.g., "Scrum" or "Rugby" rather than having to series link against programmes that are not consistently titled; e.g., 'Scrum V live: Ospreys Vs Scarlets' will only be once in a season so series link won't guarentee recording my programmes.

Thanks again for your help Mcenterfreak; I'd never had got this far without your expertise.

Maybee the reason for multiple files are that you have ticked Create EPG information file and create log file.

To make recordings based on keywords is possible. You should (in the web interface) go to search EPG, type in the keyword in Search for, give it a name, and tick Ad to Auto-record Search, and save it. Then in timer, create a new timer, choose Autosearch timer and select how often it should search for the keywords. I have set it to every day.

I dont know why you have no sound and picture. I think it is a good idea to create a support.zip file, so that more experienced people can help you.

About the EPG, i can't help you because i am using Sattelite where i made a timer that tunes in to a specific transponder everynight to collect EPG data. But this is specific to my provider (Canal Digital on 1 degree west)

wayhey!!! Got it to work now. Not sure what I did differently from last time, but I unticked those boxes that were creating the extra files and now it records with sound and pictures!

Now to fix the EPG issue, I'll check the forums first as I'm sure this is a common problem for UK users

Thank you so much for all your help Mcentrefreak - you're a top man!

Edited by cheenis