Show current satellite / add it to channel name

leecovuk

I don't know about anybody else, but when choosing or watching a channel I don't find it obvious which satellite it is on.

For me, this is often of interest.

I don't want to to 'group' the channel list by satellite, but I sort the whole list by channel name, meaning I don't think there is currently an easy way to see the satellite name for a specific channel.

Maybe an option could be added to Transedit and / or DVBViewer to append the satellite name in brackets to the channel name?

Thanks,

Lee

UK

PS If anybody knows a way to do this currently, maybe by exporting the channel list in a specific format and somehow using a text editor to semi-automaticallly change channel names, please share your knowledge.

:)

Edited by leecovuk

I found a way to do this, similar to my 'solution' in the other topic 'Option to change case of channel names'.

Presumably there is a more efficient method, which would be especially important if you have lots of different satellites. Luckily I only have four.

I have little understanding of regular expressions, and I suspect that will always be the case. I only managed to find this and the other solution by using this page :

http://www.regular-expressions.info/completelines.html

and using the Help in Open Office Writer.

So, to do this ...

Export each satellite in the channel list as separate .ini files.

Do all of the following for each .ini file. ie for me, four .ini files to do. (Astra1, Astra2, Hispasat and Hotbird.)

Load it into Open Office Writer. When prompted for 'ASCII Filter Options' I hit 'ok' to the offered defaults.

Go to 'Edit' 'Find & Replace' and then click on 'More Options'. Select 'Regular expressions'. The 'Search for' expression is:

^.*Name.*$

Hit 'Find All' and that will find and select every 'Name=' line in full.

In the 'Replace With' box type, for example:

& Hotbird

Hit 'Replace All'. All the 'Name=' lines will have a space added to the end and then 'Hotbird'.

Close the 'Find & Replace' menu.

On then saving the .ini I was prompted / warned about formating. I chose 'Keep current format'. Exit Writer.

Clear the whole channel list in DVBViewer and import the .ini we just saved.

The result is better than nothing (for me) and looks like the attached screen grab. (All the channel names are in upper case because I had already performed the process described in the topic 'Option to change case of channel names'.

Lee

UK

post-100181-002665300 1284265379_thumb.gif

Edited by leecovuk
  • 3 weeks later...

Why not make it possible to filter on satellite (Position)?

This way, sort, favorites and searches would only be for the selected satellite (Position).

I have a motorized system and when i want to tune in to eg. euronews, i'm only interested in the one that is on the location my dish is pointing to.

• 3 years later...