UK FreeSAT EPG Help required.

keef

Hi, I am tring to get the EPG to work but can't and would like some clear instructions online for myself and for future DVBviewers.

I've read the forums and tried various things but my EPG isn't filling up as it should.

I've downloaded a files called "freesat_tables_complete.zip" that contains "freesat.t1 & freesat.t2"

I've put these into my C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBViewer Folder.

I've have also followed others advice to put add entry into the Options>EPG>SiehFern/MHW = 11427 H FreeSATEPG I originaly had 11428 entry.

I've tuned to ITV1HD and waited for the update but nothing happens.

Could someone help ? Are the numbers correct or have they changed ?

Thanks in advance.

PS I'm using the latest DVBPro Beta 4.3.1.177 on Windows 7 x64

ITV1 HD is on a different transponder. You have tune to a service (e.g. radio shepard) on 11427H to get the complete freesat epg within a couple of seconds ;)

The ITV1 HD is still there on 11427H, it only transmits when something is in HD (not upscaled). There are no longer any active radio channels on that transponder, although there is a Freesat info channel with cheesy music, hopefully this will work when 4.5 comes out with MHEG support :).

I use Xepg + mc2xml for Freesat Epg, much better imo. Google it.

In Xepg you have to pair the channels first then grab and finally test importing

The Grabber parameter is: -f -c gb -g "SW1X 7LA"

Edited by themaster1

I use Xepg + mc2xml for Freesat Epg, much better imo.

Any reason why it is better? Note you can also you use XEPG with EPGCollector now to get channels that are not on Freesat but are on Sky.

Also remember that most of the 'Freesat' transponders also carry Freesat EPG information, not just the ITV HD one. You can set them up in DVBViewer so that your EPG updates while you're watching / recording almost any BBC, ITV or C4 channel. It takes 30 mins for a full update on those transponders (rather than 30 seconds on the Arquiva one) but still if you watch or record a half hour programme on any of those channels each day then your EPG updates automatically and you don't have to worry about it.

DVBViewer GE (if it is an option) auto-detects the Freesat EPG on all transponders and collects EPG data without having to enter transponder frequencies somewhere. I hope I can convince Lars to adopt the code. :)

What about terrestrial broadcasts in the UK? Are they also using special Huffman-coded EPG streams?

What about terrestrial broadcasts in the UK? Are they also using special Huffman-coded EPG streams?

Do you mean DVB-T2? DVBViewer already copes very well with 7-day EPG for DVB-T (Freeview) broadcasts.

DVB-T2 is still quite unknown. Some regions are now breadcasting on a DVB-T2 mux(the ones that have gone through digital switch over and some selected others). DVB-T2 set top boxes are now available and can receive the HD channels broadcast on the T2 mux (BBC HD, ITV1 HD, Channel 4 HD and, in the Autumn, BBC1 HD).

As yet there is no DVB-T2 card for PCs but Hauppauge seem to be planning to make one available in October according to the story linked below.

I plan to buy one as early as possible as I live in a DVB-T2 region. I guess I'll have to ask nicely here when I have it and can capture DVB-T2 streams...

Hauppauge releasing DVB-T2 USB stick

Edited by uglyned
  • 2 weeks later...
A limitation of USB2 I guess

For sure not. Devices with BDA driver usually deliver the data stream of the whole transponder, e.g. of a 42 MBit/s DVB-S2 transponder containing three HD channels, and that's no problem with USB 2.0 DVB-S2 devices.

Bandwidth limitations are related to the overall transponder data rate, not to the video resolution of a single channel. Maybe 1280 x 720p is just the resolution that will be broadcasted?

For sure not. Devices with BDA driver usually deliver the data stream of the whole transponder, e.g. of a 42 MBit/s DVB-S2 transponder containing three HD channels, and that's no problem with USB 2.0 DVB-S2 devices.

Bandwidth limitations are related to the overall transponder data rate, not to the video resolution of a single channel. Maybe 1280 x 720p is just the resolution that will be broadcasted?

I think it's just a mistake/oversight Griga, all HD channels on Freeview use 1080i :).

I emailed Hauppauge about this and they said:

"The product will de-code what the broadcaster is transmitting (e.g. ITV & BBC HD are H264, 1440 x 1080 @ 16:9).

There will be a specific product page on our website in the next few weeks."

so that's good news :)

Edited by SimonP