MPEG2 decoding

mphearn

I have just downloaded and installed the full version of DVBViewer for use with SkyStar2. It seems to work fine on normal TV with my NVIDIA Geforce2 video card. I understand I need a special mpeg decoder to view Euro1080 HDTV. If I buy a new video card NVIDIA Geforce4 MX will this do the trick? or do I need to download a special software decoder?

The one thing is hardware acceleration. This means the grafic card will do the decoding and disburden your CPU from this work. Geforce4MX can do this. IMHO Geforce2 not.

Th other thing is the MPG2 software decoder. Here in the board you can find a link to a freeware MPG2 decoder which can display HDTV. Please use search of this board.

On the other site, DVD software player have such decoder. If You have installed some of them you will find them in the options of your DVBViewer. Try it.

Steffen

This means the grafic card will do the decoding

Usually graphics cards do not decode MPEG2, cause the manufacturers don't want to pay licence fees to MPEG LA.

However, modern graphics cards are able to take over the most time-consuming part of the decoding, called IDCT (Inverse Discrete Cosinus Transformation), and additionally deinterlacing, thus accelerating the whole thing considerably.

Buy a cheap GeForce MX 440, and you'll be happy... o:)

First read this.

The versions modified for the DVBViewer are available here. But you have to register the files manually - there is no installler. If you don't know how to do it, read chapter 10 of the DVBViewer help and/or go to the Service Center and download the RadLight Filter Manager, which provides easy registering.