Better OSD for DVBViewer

lovelabel

DVBViewer is very solid now so I think its time it gets a better GUI.

1.) It should be wrapped around a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) or a better alternative in order to decouple the TV-Interface from the OSD (Presentation Layer). With WPF you can build a better and much beautiful and reliable interface. Decoupling both interfaces will solve the problem of OSD failure when there is no signal - in my case, the OSD Menu fails when there is no signal and to resolve it, I have to grab the keyboard which is not comfortable for HTPC.

2.) There should be a mini-channel list at the top of the screen to assist navigating channels (like in GB-PVR).

3.) TransEdit does not have a Signal-quality bar, so one turns the dish blindly which is very time consuming. DVBViewer should get a positioner with a signal-quality bar if TransEdit refuses to have one.

I strongly belive that with these 3 features the DVBViewer will be more that ROCK SOLID.

My main criticism of the standard OSD is that the bars in the timeline are too thick, and I can't see a way to remove genre display which seems unnecessary. Also the space used by the four red, green, yellow, blue index buttons at the bottom seems a huge waste of space that could be used to display more channels in the timeline, those buttons could easily be moved to the side or along the top (4 in a row).

Erm, why dont you use one of those other skins? The main intention for the default skin is to get a thin line between "nice look and feel" and "filesize" in order to keep the installer small. I like it very well, especially since Rago is such a talented artist :)

Anyway you might try the X-Skin, Concinity or Inca :whistle:

They are all available here: http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/forum/55-osd/

Peter

Erm, why dont you use one of those other skins? The main intention for the default skin is to get a thin line between "nice look and feel" and "filesize" in order to keep the installer small. I like it very well, especially since Rago is such a talented artist :)

Anyway you might try the X-Skin, Concinity or Inca :whistle:

They are all available here: http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/forum/55-osd/

Peter

Thanks I have tried alternative skins before, but do they not have the same problem? A screenshot for Inca shows genre being displayed in the timeline taking up space.

@dvbrewer

This is the decision from the Skin designer. It is possible to change this with the DvbViewerSkinner or the OSD Skineditor

post-12906-055109700 1286901801_thumb.png

Thanks I may try myself, but is it possible to not show the genre in the timeline?

Edited by dvbrewer

OK I tried Concinnity 3D and many more channels are shown in the timeline (no summary is shown), but still the genre is displayed, doesn't look like it is possible to disable this?

One other suggestion/criticism :rolleyes: is that on STBs and TVs EPGs you usually can just press one button, usually red or green to scroll up or down one page which makes a timeline much more usable, is it possible to assign two buttons to do this in DVBViewer?

OK I tried Concinnity 3D and many more channels are shown in the timeline (no summary is shown), but still the genre is displayed, doesn't look like it is possible to disable this?
Open the Inca OSD Skin in the editor an look how it is made there.

(no summary is shown)
OSD-OK > summary of the selected show

One other suggestion/criticism :rolleyes: is that on STBs and TVs EPGs you usually can just press one button, usually red or green to scroll up or down one page which makes a timeline much more usable, is it possible to assign two buttons to do this in DVBViewer?
Open the timeline > OSD-blue > Help > read

Open the Inca OSD Skin in the editor an look how it is made there.

OK, OK I'll do it :original:.

Open the timeline > OSD-blue > Help > read

So just the channel + and - buttons make the OSD timeline jump page, thankyou :ball::lbounce: .

How can I use the MiniEPG to switch channels? Is it directly displayed on the picture like GB-PVR?

Hit OK on the remote or Return on keyboard, use up or down on keyboard or remote to scroll up and down channels, you can also scroll right for future programmes, and yes it overlays on the picture like GB PVR.

Hit OK on the remote or Return on keyboard, use up or down on keyboard or remote to scroll up and down channels, you can also scroll right for future programmes, and yes it overlays on the picture like GB PVR.

I new this but what I'm really talking about is the example in the attachment.post-95468-026283200 1287138256_thumb.jpg

DVBViewer has loads of different ways to browse through the EPG. Don't go looking for something exactly the same as other software you've seen, just look through all the different options in DVBViewer. You might even find something you like more.

DVBViewer has loads of different ways to browse through the EPG. Don't go looking for something exactly the same as other software you've seen, just look through all the different options in DVBViewer. You might even find something you like more.

Maybe you really don't understand what this forum section is about. Its about "ideas and suggestions" and that is what I am making here. GB-PVR and Windows media center has something similar, though they are great softwares but they lack many features if compared with DVBViewer. I find this Mini Navigator(as shown in my last sample) very useful and attractive. Many will agree with me that it would be a great feature. It should be configurable so that it can be hidden if not required by a user. Its about making the best out of DVBViewer by employing a better GUI concept to produce an OSD that provides "Stability, better useability and better user experience" as a package.

I suggest that the functionality you've asked for, and shown in the screenshot, is already in DVBViewer. I use it. All I'm saying is what's the point in asking for stuff that's already there?

DVBViewer is very solid now so I think its time it gets a better GUI.

1.) It should be wrapped around a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) or a better alternative in order to decouple the TV-Interface from the OSD (Presentation Layer). With WPF you can build a better and much beautiful and reliable interface. Decoupling both interfaces will solve the problem of OSD failure when there is no signal - in my case, the OSD Menu fails when there is no signal and to resolve it, I have to grab the keyboard which is not comfortable for HTPC.

2.) There should be a mini-channel list at the top of the screen to assist navigating channels (like in GB-PVR).

3.) TransEdit does not have a Signal-quality bar, so one turns the dish blindly which is very time consuming. DVBViewer should get a positioner with a signal-quality bar if TransEdit refuses to have one.

I strongly belive that with these 3 features the DVBViewer will be more that ROCK SOLID.

1.) Solved by checking the "use custom Rederer" checkbox in the directx settings. OSD does not fail if this is on but I noticed a slight increase in cpu which I think is normal and acceptable.

3.) This will be a great feature at least for people like me who depend on TransEdit to move my dish. Its like walking in the dark. I would'nt have complained had Prog Satellite Finder 2.10 supported my hardware.

I suggest that the functionality you've asked for, and shown in the screenshot, is already in DVBViewer. I use it. All I'm saying is what's the point in asking for stuff that's already there?

Then please direct me there.

Press 'Enter' on keyboard. Press F6 to see info for the programme at the top, F7 for programme at the bottom. Press right arrow to see programmes on later, press down arrow to see programmes for the next channel down in your channel list (continure pressing down to see channels further down or press up to see channels further up).

Press 'Enter' on keyboard. Press F6 to see info for the programme at the top, F7 for programme at the bottom. Press right arrow to see programmes on later, press down arrow to see programmes for the next channel down in your channel list (continure pressing down to see channels further down or press up to see channels further up).

What you have described here is nothing similar to the channels list shown at the top of the screen in my sample. I am talking about a mini-channel list showing about 4 to 6 channels at the top of the screen which can be navigated up and down for quick selection. I want to see the channels before I select it. It might just be at the top but using what you described here, you just can't see what is next and what is previous and that is my point.

I want to see the channels before I select it.

Using the method I described you're not selecting a channel, you're browsing through their EPG to see what's on. You're not selecting a channel, or changing channel from the one you're already on.

Using favourites you can set up your own channel list in your own order, bring them up on the screen, browse through them one by one and see what's on now and what's coming up. Try that.

Enough now. If you want everything exactly like GB-PVR, use GB-PVR.

• 2 weeks later...

Enough now. If you want everything exactly like GB-PVR, use GB-PVR.

I have a better solution now. XBMC is officially getting a PVR soon. I have tested the unofficial version of XBMC-PVR which works nicely. I also found out that it has navigation options that are even better than what I have suggested to improve DVBViewer. I am now using XBMC-PVR as my primary media center in combination with MediaPortal TV-Server. I will nevertheless hang on to DVBViewer as a fallback player for BBC HD until XBMC team gets the PVR extention finally sorted out.

Anyway thanks for your contributions.

Edited by lovelabel