False Alarms

hackbart

As you can imagine we have a lot of emails these days and not a few of them contain questions about False Alarms by some Virus Scanners. Many of them are not quite friendly and contain phrases like:

What the crap are you thinking

or

Ich habe Umgang mit etlichen tausend Programmen und all diese Programme sollten zweifelsfrei gegen Virenscanner bestehen. G-Data ist bereits unterrichtet

This post stand representatively as an answer for all of them, since it is honestly quite annoying to write it over and over again.

Fact is the DVBViewer does not contain a virus and those scanner who complain the binaries also don't find viruses, but their heuristic algorithm identify possible virus patterns.

I don't want to blame them and if you are unsure about it try to test with other scanners (e.g. via www.virustotal.com).

Also fact is that we can NOT upload every file we produce to the Antivirus manufactures. Since there are more than 30 available companies offering their

services it is impossible for us.

It is also a fact that every download on our website is watermarked so each user get its own unique file. So even if we contact them, it is unlikely that these false alarms do no longer appear.

By the way it is pretty easy to create a false alarm. If you compile this small application you will get 1/3 of all available scanners detecting a virus:

program FalseAlarm;
uses winsock;
begin
htonl(inet_addr('255.255.255.192'));
end.

What i can say so far is that we started working together with Kaspersky, but we do not have no intention to do so with all others.

Christian

• 5 years later...

I just dig this old thread out, because since yesterday i received dozens of mails similar like above. Somehow the way people think complaining false alarms has to become more important if they use words far below the waistline. :mad:

• Like 1