DXVA on H.264 in DVBViewer?

leecovuk

Hello,

I have begun experimenting with DXVA for H.264 broadcasts, using FFDShow.

However I get a green picture and Windows usually ends up crashing with Blue Screen Of Death.

Are any of you successfully using DXVA? If so, how are you doing it?

I'm currently wondering if my BIOS or chipset / hardware drivers are wrong in some way. My video card is a Radeon HD 4350.

Thanks a lot,

Lee

UK

• Like 1

Hello,

I have begun experimenting with DXVA for H.264 broadcasts, using FFDShow.

FFDShow DXVA does not work with TV, you need to use the Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder on Windows 7, or the Cyberlink PDVD10 decoder which you can get through the Shark codec pack - select PDVD10 and DXVA as default H264 decoder in Shark settings and then select in DVBViewer Settings>Options>DirectX.

Edited by Griga

Please don't provide links in this forum leading to pages that are distributing software or products without having a licence, the copyright or a permission of the copyright holder. Due to German laws we have to be careful, you know...

Thanks dvbrewer,

Thanks for letting me know that, for whatever reason, I can't use FFDShow's DXVA in DVBViewer.

My puzzle had been complicated by reading elsewhere that there is a known deficiency with some ATI / AMD drivers regarding DXVA H.264 rendering in some situations. I assumed my green picture and BSOD might have been related to that.

I had indeed noticed that the Microsoft DTV-DVD Decoder works in DVBViewer for H.264. However the interlacing seems a little poor; the picture sometimes looks a bit like 'film' if you know what I mean.

That decoder doesn't seem to have any adjustable 'properties' to force things such as interlacing to 'bob'.

Regarding Cyberlink, the free decoder I currently have doesn't appear in DVBViewer as a H.264 decoding option. However I don't currently have the Shark codec pack installed specifically. Or maybe you mean using Cyberlink for MPEG-2 with DXVA? I indeed see the Cyberlink decoder in DVBViewer as an MPEG-2 decoder option, and can access its properties including the DXVA option.

Generally and regardless of DVBViewer, I have yet to understand how to turn DXVA on or off on my pc, or indeed test it works at all.

My video driver is supported by something called Catalyst Control Centre but I don't see an option in there to enable / disable DXVA for H.264, for example. Or is that always determined by the decoder?

I have found a 'DXVAChecker' on the internet but frankly I don't know how to use it. It doesn't help that the Readme is mainly in Japanese or Chinese!

If you can enlighten me at all regarding DXVA generally, I would be very grateful.

(if it sends this topic way off DVBViewer relevance, feel free for an admin to move it somewhere else)

Thank you,

Lee

UK

It's done in the codec. I don't think you can turn it on or off in the Microsoft one, but you can in the Cyberlink one, which you have but is locked by Cyberlink. The Shark codec pack sounds a bit on the fringes of the law to me but it would be a good idea for you to install it - even briefly - just so you can see the Cyberlink h264 codec in use. With that one you can turn DXVA on or off through the DVBViewer options ocdecs page (a little ellipsis button next to the codec selection).

Thanks uglyned,

I'll give the Shark pack a go for the Cyberlink H.264 codec.

I ran some tests earlier playing HD video on my pc using Media Player Classic. Forcing use of its internal DXVA codec for H.264 confirmed my pc is using DXVA and the video played fine. ie forcing playback without any available internal or external DXVA codecs meant the video didn't have sufficient playback resources.

FFDShow's DXVA seemed faulty / not working in Media Player Classic just the same as DVBViewer. Maybe there is generally something wrong with it. I'm using it as packaged in the K-lite Mega Codec pack.

I'm now also using all the latest Catalyst downloads including Avivo, which appears to have given me an option of the ATI MPEG Video Decoder for MPEG-2. Seems pretty good on live TV in DVBViewer, maybe slightly better than the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder.

I don't seem to have an ATI H.264 decoder working, although the ATI MPEG Video Decoder appears in DVBViewer as an available H.264 codec as well as under MPEG-2.

Edited by leecovuk

There's no need to mess with "naughty" software, install the trial version of PowerDVD10 and select it in DVBv. It works well for me and uses ATI's hardware acceleration so it's fairly efficient.

You may well be right about DXVA with ATI cards, there is an option for it in the PDVD codec but it doesn't "stick" or make any difference.

Simon.

I have tried to use ATI's DXVA decoder for some time now and while e.g. PowerDVD10 (trial) works, ATI's DXVA implementation is faulty or at least handles even the slightest errors in the stream very poorly. For the same reason, do not expect to get good performance using ATI card as you need to use a software decoder.

Personally I use DivX H.264 decoder that is free to use. Problem is, you really need a fast CPU, but the decoding is reliable and it handles errors (if there even are any errors) in the transport stream MUCH better than ATI's DXVA.

If your CPU cannot handle H.264 decoding in software, you need a non-ATI card (nVidia are reported to be reliable but I haven't anypersonal experience with them).

• 7 months later...

I am using PowerDVD 9 h.264 codec, I hope this would implement DXVA at the hardware level. Works perfectly for HD ITV1 but am getting all sorts of glitches on BBC1 HD (and Ch4 HD)....

On the codec you are allowed to Select SW (Software) DXVA and HAM ...not too sure what HAM is and when to use that.

my ATI is 5770

on another topic was trying to do a fresh scan which included 23000 symbolic rate ...... (using 22000,23000,27500 on the SCAN options) ...normally you would have 22000,27500 ....this took forever and I had to kill it after 1 hour or so ...seemed to doing all frequencies and not using the transponder list.

ANy advice welcome

:blush:

Frank

I have d/l powerdvd11 codec via SharkCodecs (http://shark007.net/tools.html)

..... I think the issue is around the renderer and not the codec.

After spending ages trying various settings I found this to be most stable

•  
  • EVR Vista Enhanced Video Renderer
  • Only available if Use Custom Renderers is deactivated.

I have read the WiKi which tends to imply to use option below, yes it gives a great picture but the display is not stable.

•  
  • The EVR Custom video renderer is basically the EVR video renderer but does the mixing and displaying itself. This allows better control how the OSD is displayed.
  • If you use Windows Vista or Windows 7 this is normally the renderer to use.

I have come to the conclusion that EVR Custom video renderer does not provide HW acceleration.

I have d/l the latest ATI CCC (out yesterday 11.6) and same results.

I have 2 implementation of windows on the same box (W7 64bit) and I get similar results with both.

I am on DVB 4.8.1

I have tried different setting in CCC and also reverted to Factory Defaults but not much change.

The strange thing is that for my setup ITV1 HD seems to cope much better with EVR Custom video renderer.

IS there something differnt on the 10847 transponder that the BBC HD Channels use, I think this was much better previous to the transponder change (symbolic rate from 22000 to 23000).

I'll take another look at the WiKi in case I have missed out something pretty obvious but any suggestions welcome.

Frank

:bye:

• 1 month later...

With AMD Fusion becoming available, AMD really needs to get their DXVA working properly. Once they have that working, they have a great chip on their hands. But until that happens, CPU decoding of DVB-T/C with H.264 content seems to be the only option. I have tried a lot and not found anything reliable yet (haven't tested it for the last 2 Catalyst releases, though, but the changelog didn't mention DXVA fixes).

If you want to try other options, the DivX H.264 codec also allows usage of DXVA, but for me this causes DVBViewer to hang upon channel switches.

And I don't think your link to SharkCodecs is legal as only Cyberlink may distribute the PowerDVD codecs and they only do it as part of a trial version of PowerDVD but that is enough to have it work in DVBViewer. So there really isn't reason to link to SharkCodecs.

Since I moved over to DVB-T2 I have had no issues on HD channels with artefacts (using 11.4CCC).....waiting for CCC11.7 out in about a week or so.

I have PowerDVD9 so use that for most things.....having said that I have tried PWRDVD11 via the trial d/l as well, could not see any real difference.

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

i don't understand to use hardware accelleration.

With sd channel cpu load is between 5-7%

With hd channel cpu load is between 7-14%

DVBViewer 4.8.1.0

Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder

EVR Custom Video Render

AC3 Filter 1.63b

ATI Radeon 5670 HD 1GB ( Catalyst 11.7)

I don't have any problem to watch any channel, all fluid and sounds good

but i wish to reduce cpu load, i tried with ffdfshow with dxva enable, without success, same cpu load

i hope that someone can help me

note. with vmr9 i have 30 40% of cpu load, i don't know if\how to see if i use hardware accellerator

• 1 month later...

Overlay ist the most cpu friendly mode

VMR itself needs more processor time.

If HD content (H264) is not using any hardware acceleration, that brings many cpu's into trouble cause all decoding is done with software that relies for 100% on CPU use.

Even double/triple/quad cores if the software cant divide the task over all cores. Turbo core might help a bit but then no other programs may occupy the other cores.

So, if You see fluent HD and low cpu use, video controller is helping.

easy to test, in the DVBViewer options, direct X section, there you can turn of DXVA and choose software mode.

Don't be surprised that CPU load rises to 60% or more and mpeg errors might show on screen.

• 4 months later...

Sorry but i don't get how do you want to achieve hardware acceleration with codecs unable to support this? Neither CoreAVC, nor FFDShow are able to fully support DXVA! Use a codec like the Mainconcept or better the PowerDVD one, otherwise you have to stuck with >90% of the decoding by cpu issue. If you have an nvidia adapter you might have luck with this one here: http://1f0.de/lav-cuvid/

Christian

Sorry but i don't get how do you want to achieve hardware acceleration with codecs unable to support this? Neither CoreAVC, nor FFDShow are able to fully support DXVA! Use a codec like the Mainconcept or better the PowerDVD one

Or Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder if you have Windows 7. LAV may work with DXVA for ATi/AMD & Intel soon, you could try with the BETA here.

Neither CoreAVC, nor FFDShow are able to fully support DXVA!

Hackbart, what do you mean by "fully support"? AFAIK CoreAVC supports DXVA and I believe ffdshow also supports DXVA for H264 (DXVA is an install option). Have I missed something?

When I tried to look for the Mainconcept (quite a long time ago now) all I could find were very expensive pro versions. Is there a "consumer" version also?

mainconcept use hardware acc only for video, not live-tv stream.

So, you could use DivX( free)- after installation they have an control panel, from there you need to enable hard acc.

Cyberlink Video Codec( google it)- set video codec to Cyberlink in DVBViewer, after that you enable hard acc from menu-view-filters-Cyberlink.

Arcsoft, Lav( in LAV you need to set CUDA).

Personally righ not im using microsoft video.

mainconcept use hardware acc only for video, not live-tv stream.

OK Thanks but I'll give it a miss then - I wanted to check it on live TV. I have audio and video synch problems on 30000 SR H264 channels - I don't know what the cause is but perhaps an alternative decoder might have helped.

I have pretty much tried all H264 decoders - currently I am using LAV with CUVID which I think generally works well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just use LAV Filters x86, they support DXVA for NVidia/ATI/Intel and work just fine with DVBV. Avoid ffdshow and CoreAVC for DXVA, you'll only get frustrated.

• 3 months later...

I have to agree, use the LAV filters, I've always had trouble with H264 on the HD channels but the LAV filters work great. DXVA works great too. nVidia CUVID is also available for those with those cards.

• 4 years later...

DXVA2 query. Using LAV filter 0.68.1

GPU AMD RX480 Driver Crimsom 16.9.1 Hotfix

Been discussing the issue of DXVA2 not working H264, however H265 works fine.

Tested with DVBViewer and confirmed that recorded programs H264 have dreadful tearing, turning DXVA off for H264 works fine so this is not such a big deal.

However further testing shows that content recorded by an iphone 1920 by 1080 plays fine in DVBViewer. (please see video as it has settings for all the decoders etc).

I appreciate that the recording methods are totally different but would appreciate any feedback from the developers.

https://youtu.be/hCCBxKPOI84

(please see

as it has settings for all the decoders etc).

No it does not! Your videos are showing lav offline settings!

I told you this here and other users did at doom9.

No need for more videos (with commercials ...) if you don't know what's going on ...

AMD with RX4x0 cards seems to have problems with H.264 interlaced. Your iphone video is H.264 progressive?

ouch!!!!!!

lav offline settings ?! where do you see that, is there an online settings option?

If you mean this is a playback option the problem happens when you watch broadcast live as well.

Btw NVIDIA folks have reported the same issue on Doom9 so not specific to AMD I don't think.

LAV online settings enclosed. Thanks for reminding me.

I can see that the UHD stream is 2160p (astra Demo) as opposed to 1080i for the BBC transmission.

So what is the conclusion here, is it a driver issue (both for AMD and NVIDIA), a LAV filter issue or DXVA bug or something else?

Many Thanks

post-63025-0-77078100-1474450760_thumb.jpg

response from AMD, might be of interest to some.

We've reproduced what we think is the same issue as you guys are reporting. I'm using Ace Stream and H264 based content is exhibiting the same type of block corruption you guys see.

We are investigating the issue and will report back as soon as I have more information for you guys.

Thanks for being patient and also for trying to narrow this down on your end. Much appreciated!

-Mike