Channel Shortcutter

Griga

I've just uploaded a new DVBViewer utility to the Service Center: Channel Shortcutter 1.0.

It provides the ability to create favourite channel lists in various places

- On the Desktop

- In the Start Menu

- Within an Explorer window

- In Favourites of Internet Explorer

- In the Quick Launch Area

by creating special DVBViewer shortcuts. Simply drag a channel from the channel list to the desired location - that's all. The attached image shows how it works.

The channel selection is done by (double-) clicking the shortcut. In case the DVBViewer is not running yet, it will be started and the selected channel will be played. If the DVBViewer is already active, it will change to the selected channel.

The package additionally provides a selection of channel logos as icons, that can be assigned by drag & drop to the shortcuts - many TV or Radio broadcasters on Astra 19° East are represented.

If you are interested in the history of this project: The idea was born in autumn 2002 (see here - ages ago :) ). Christian added the necessary command line parameters in February 2003 (DVBViewer 1.98 R17). The first attempts to write some software that facilitates creating those shortcuts yielded to an awkward bunch of VBScript :D (see here). The result looked quite impressive, though. However, now I've done it with Delphi, and the resulting application is much more convenient.

BTW: I'll soon provide the Delphi source code in the Service Center - for all programmers who want to know how it is done. I have to add some comments to the source yet...

Griga

Zwischenablage01.png

Edited by Griga
  • 1 year later...

I've updated the Channel Shortcutter - version is 1.2 now available in the Service Center, tools section (go to the bottom...)

No major changes - just a little enhancement. Channel shortcuts created by the tool can be dragged and dropped back to the Shortcutter Window, in order to change them.

So, why are all these add-ons and plug-ins updated now? For a simple reason: In future some DVBViewer files, that are located in the DVBViewer directory (where DVBViewer.exe is), will probably not be the files that are actually used - rather a copy of them in the user profile of an account.

This applies to all user-specific files, in order to provide a "private" configuration for each user of a computer - let's say a special channellist for your children, without the naughty things you like to watch. :D

So there you are - the Channel Shortcutter (like other add-ons) accesses the file channels.dat, and should of course take the one in the user profile, if it is stored there.

However, it won't do it now. An additional file is required that tells it to do so. We'll come back to it later. The multi-user feature will be introduced with DVBViewer GE 1.5, and maybe DVBViewer Pro will follow after some time...

• 3 months later...

The Channel Shortcutter has been updated to version 1.3 in the members area.

The new version can cope with multiple instances of the coming DVBViewer GE 1.7 running at the same time (e.g. with different hardware - DVBViewer GE 1.7 will support BDA). Some add-ons have to be adapted to it, so that they don't communicate with the wrong instance.

This does not apply to DVBViewer Pro 3.2.5. The multiple instance management has not been integrated yet (probably next release).

• 4 months later...

Hey Griga - I can only seem to find the source in the members area - is there anywhere i can download the compiled program? Thanks very much,

Cocksy.

Maybe I'm being stupid here, but which tools section? If I go to Members Section I can't see it at the bottom of the 'tools' section, am I being stupid, or is it somewhere else?!!! Thanks very much, and sorry to be such a pain!!

Cocksy

• 1 year later...
I've just uploaded a new DVBViewer utility to the Service Center: Channel Shortcutter 1.0.

It provides the ability to create favourite channel lists in various places

- On the Desktop

- In the Start Menu

- Within an Explorer window

- In Favourites of Internet Explorer

- In the Quick Launch Area

by creating special DVBViewer shortcuts. Simply drag a channel from the channel list to the desired location - that's all. The attached image shows how it works.

The channel selection is done by (double-) clicking the shortcut. In case the DVBViewer is not running yet, it will be started and the selected channel will be played. If the DVBViewer is already active, it will change to the selected channel.

The package additionally provides a selection of channel logos as icons, that can be assigned by drag & drop to the shortcuts - many TV or Radio broadcasters on Astra 19° East are represented.

If you are interested in the history of this project: The idea was born in autumn 2002 (see here - ages ago :rolleyes: ). Christian added the necessary command line parameters in February 2003 (DVBViewer 1.98 R17). The first attempts to write some software that facilitates creating those shortcuts yielded to an awkward bunch of VBScript :bye: (see here). The result looked quite impressive, though. However, now I've done it with Delphi, and the resulting application is much more convenient.

BTW: I'll soon provide the Delphi source code in the Service Center - for all programmers who want to know how it is done. I have to add some comments to the source yet...

Griga

THANK YOU

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
7 files in the download-folder

but there is no *.exe-file

i don't know what's to do next

it sounds to me you have downloaded the source file. try scrolling down the members section abit mor to the tool area. The right download has the .exe file and icon folder in.

• 8 months later...

The Channel Shortcutter 1.4 is available in the Members Area, Tools Section.

It was high time to update this ol' piece of software. Please read in the first post what it does.

Changes:

- Enhanced: Adjustments to the channel list format of current DVBViewer versions.

- Enhanced: The command line parameter in the created shortcuts specifies the channel that shall be tuned more unambiguously.

- Enhanced: The channel list is displayed with new icons (similar to those in DVBViewer) and audio track sub-entries.

- Enhanced: Compatibility with Windows Vista (the tool tried to store a temporary file in the Program Files Directory ;))

- Updated: ReadMe file

I had no time to update the channel logos for Astra 19° East, however. Meanwhile, the included icons are of historical interest :bye: Please read in the ReadMe how you can create your own channel icons.

Practically your "Channell Short-cutter" is a "Favourites Short-Cutter". However, at present the channels source-list is "ALL" channels list", and looking for ones' favourites once again out of these thousands of channels is not only a duplication of already done rather tiring exercise, but also time consuming. We know that DVBViewer has a favourite filter "Is Favourite", which reduces this very bulky list to just favourites only. I would request you to enable your application to pick this "filtered" list. That would be a great, great utility.

THX

Edited by fundom

Channel Shortcutter does not allow to have separate short cuts for channels with the same name but on different transponders or with different parameters. For example, I have two FTV-HD channels on W3A (7E), both showing different programs at one time. But I cannot have two different iconized shortcuts for these as "Channel Shortcutter" would not let that happen. Can that be changed?

Channel Shortcutter does not allow to have separate short cuts for channels with the same name but on different transponders or with different parameters.

Rename the first shortcut before creating the second one. The shortcut resp .lnk file inherits the channel name, but it will work with an arbitrary name. If the Service ID and/or the Audio PID are different, the channels can be distinguished, even if their names are identical (just tested).

Thanks Griga....it works!

I, earlier, tried to rename the 2nd. shortcut, but that did not work.

I invite your kind attention to my one earlier post wherein I had requested that, if possible, can ShortCutter directly pick the favourites list instead of showing all channels?

OK, I understand. By the way where is the database stored of SHORTCUTTER?

PS: There alreay exist an old plugin "DVBBar.exe", which picks up favourites which perhaps could be "married" with shortcutter to save the labour!

Edited by fundom
  • 11 years later...

Hello Griga

Nice work your soft.

Just to report a small problem.

Here in France we have a TNT channel whose name is "franceinfo:"

Yes, with ":" at the end. You could not imagine the consequences of this specificity : The shortcut for this channel is all but what was expected.

To work fine I had to remove one of the two ":" in the shortcut properties (one from the name, one shortcutter creates.

Anyway, nice job

Best regards

Pierre