DVB-S: Missing channels on 28.2E - please help

tentimes

Hello,

EDIT: I am in the UK using a recent Sky dish and am using a DM1105 DVB-S tuner with working BDA that seems fine in every other respect.

I really hope someone can help me find these popular missing channnels. I have used the Astra/Eurobird 28.2E transponder list. I get 414 channels but am missing a specific set which are supposed to be on Astra 2A. There is no seperate transponder list for AStra 2A and I thought it was in this one.

I notice that the missing channels are on HORIZONTAL, but this transponder setting is for vertical, but I don't know how to change it to horizontal.

Here are the frequencies as listed by the BBC:

Astra 2A (28.2° East)

Transponder 13 (aka 2.013)

Frequency: 11.95350 GHz

Horizontal polarisation

Symbol rate: 27.5 Mbaud

FEC2/3

Transport Stream ID: 2013

There are no changes to the line-up of services on BBC DSAT7 SID

BBC News 6704

BBC Parliament 6705

BBC Alba 6736

BBC Radio 1 6751

BBC Radio 1Xtra 6766

BBC Radio 2 6752

BBC Radio 3 6753

BBC Radio 4 FM 6754

BBC Radio 4 LW 6755

BBC 6 Music 6767

BBC Radio 7 6768

BBC Asian Network 6760

BBC World Service 6761

BBC Radio Scotland 6757

BBC Radio nan Gàidheal 6769

BBC Radio Wales 6758

BBC Radio Cymru 6763

BBC Radio Ulster 6759

BBC London 6770

I am also missing:

Virgin 1 (Now called channel 1)

Quest

and a few other freesat channels. It's like I am missing a satelite or part of a satelite.

I would be most grateful for any help. I have been reading and searching the forums and googling it but am stuck. I have only just started with DVB-S having previously used DVB-T. I have had DVBViewer for several years now and really like it.

Kevin

Edited by tentimes

Two options:

1) Use transedit to scan the satellite, you can get more channels with that generally

2) Go to kingofsat.com and search the infos for each missing channel then you can add them manually in DVBViewer in the channel editor.Pick a channel you don't want and replace the infos: "network ID, frequency polarity etc...)

Edited by themaster1

Unfortunately kingofsat.com is an advertising site, and when I try to scan with transedit it says that initialising device has failed, even though I have the correct device selected.

Could you tell me why it won't scan all the channels for these satelites? It seems odd that there is no way of just scanning all the frequencies. I know DVBViewer is not intended for general public use, but since paying for it I was hoping for a bit more user frendliness. As an aside I am a programmer (assembly, C++) so I'm not stupid... what about the information I quoted, is that enough to program the channels manually? I just don't get why it can;t scan channels for UK TV - surely the UK is a big enough market for this program?

Very frustrated but thanks very much for taking the time to reply :)

Edited by tentimes
I notice that the missing channels are on HORIZONTAL, but this transponder setting is for vertical

..should be horizontal. Do you use the transponder.ini from the setup?

Yes, please forget what I said about horizontal - I missread something.

Using these two references I am going to include a picture of what I have set it to - still no picture

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/sat_frequencies.shtml

http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=parliament&Submit=Zap

And this is what I have entered (would someone mind checking I have entered it correctly please if you have time):

DAMN! WE aren't allowed to share images on the board.

parliament

is the image of what I have programmed

I've tried using the kingofsat frequencies for BBC NEws as well and this wont work. The only thing I can see between this and other BBC channels that DO work is that the working ones have a TONE of "NONE" and LOF "9750". I have no idea what tone and LOF do. If I change these could it make a diffence?

I can match up all the other values to ones given by BBC and Kingofsat, the only values that I am unsure of are Tone and LOF.

Also, when this dish was working as a subscription service wit SKY I could receive BBC Parliament and BBC News no problem - so they ARE there. I just can't get DVBViewer to tune to them.

Please please help - this is driving my absoletly insane. Transedit is bugged and just crashes, so I can't scan with it. Normal scanning in DVBViewer itself works fine.

Does group make any difference? All channels seem to be group A

Edited by tentimes

Thanks for making the effort 868! Unfortunately it doesn't work - I get no picture. I have meanwhile done a scanusing progdvb and it isn't picking up the channels. This is really weird. These channels were available when I had sky and the dish hasn't moved. I'm assuming there is no Diseqc on sky dishes? (I very much doubt it).

Maybe in Northern Ireland these channels come from a different satellite? I am assuming also you are in England - but should that really make a difference?

Thanks again for taking the time to share your channel settings :)

EDIT: I should say that most of the other free to air stations are there! (Well I can't see any missing except these BBC ones. BBC News and BBC Parliament are my most watched channels - yes I'm sad ;))

Edited by tentimes

Yes, that's weird. If you receive only one satellite and your cable goes straight from the receiver

to the LNB, Diseqc shouldn't be the problem. I do not know the Sky LNB, but perhaps it "switching"

frequency is non standard. Try to change the LOF in the Channel list Editor for these channels to

9750MHz and see if this makes a difference. Else I am out of ideas. I scanned the satellite with

transedit and there are no other frequencies with these programs.

I think reception in Northern Ireland from this satellite should not be a problem, I receive them

here in Germany.

I had the same problem on Thor 1W.

Some channels were found only by transedit , no matter I used the same new transonders, for both of them.

One question is not clear, why people recommend transedit and why not DVBViewer?

Is the search so bad ? I'm trying to find answer how to manually look for transponders through DVBViewer

One more idea: Could it be your LNB is not switching to high band at all?

Test if you can receive CNN at 12051MHz, Sky News at 12207MHz or CBS Reality

at 12523MHz.

If reception of these channels is OK, switching to high band works. If not,

you are missing the high band. Switching between low and high band is done with

the 22kHz tone.

• 2 weeks later...

I never understood neither why transedit is not part of DVBViewer.

Ok, OSD needs some changes then.

Transedit is much better then DVBViewer if it comes to problematic channel scanning.

if scan fails also with transedit and if you use disecq be sure that the disecq settings are right, and the scan shows only Horizontal or obnly Vertikal channels, check the setup then again.

Possible reasons can be:

- LNB not correctly alligned = not tuned to maximum signal level.

Any device has certain tolerances that can play part when the LNB is not allinged properly.

- LNB does not switch to H or V

- Disecq devices that cause problems.

To be sure that it's a harwware error, enter channels manually with info from websites as kingofsat etc and see if You can see the channel then.

Edited by Benarty