HTPC does not go standby mode after recording end (4.5,Win7,no RS)

JPV1961

I noticed that I had wrong title in previous post.

I updated DVBViewer to 4.5 version and now htpc does not go to standby mode when scheduled recording has been ended (and has been setted up to go stanby after recording).

I have Windows 7 and EPGPlus but no Recording service in use.

What is difference between earlier versions and current one causing this annoying problem?

I'm paid about this program and now I can't get support..this sucks...I have simple question and nobody seems not to be vice enough to figure out solution...can't be true. So what parameter/viewer setup/registry entry prevents pc going standby mode after timed recording? Win 7 and 4.5 DVBViewer, no Recording service in use.With previous version everything worked well, resume from standby,recoding program and going back to standby after recording.

And what about solution in your previous topic?

"I find DVBViewer 4.5 does not get focus if either of the 'TV/Radio Pre-Format Detection' options are ticked (Audio/Video). If I untick both of these then DVBViewer gets focus every time it opens in full screen. "

On vista it's working.

And what about solution in your previous topic?

"I find DVBViewer 4.5 does not get focus if either of the 'TV/Radio Pre-Format Detection' options are ticked (Audio/Video). If I untick both of these then DVBViewer gets focus every time it opens in full screen. "

On vista it's working.

In Win 7 this option change does not give any help...there's bug either in program or setup sets windows registry settings so that it prevents standby/shutdown/hibernate modes when DVBViewer is running....

Why didn't you try my suggestion?"forbidding to enter the away mode in energy settings solved this problem for me"

Tell me more ie. where I can change this? Is this in DVBViewer preferences or under windows control panel..sorry that I'm bit stupid.

It's in windows control panel (Power Options).

Would tell you the exact steps, but i think it wouldn't really help because i have german windows, so i don't know the exact names...

choose power plan, advanced, latest option- multimedia, sharing video- HERE IS THE SETTING, if not, choose it.

I think that this is what Freezer is talkin about it.

No, not exactly, the video sharing option didn't solve the standby problem for me.

I mean the 5th option, should be called "saving energy" or similar, there the first option for allowing the away mode.

It's in windows control panel (Power Options).

Would tell you the exact steps, but i think it wouldn't really help because i have german windows, so i don't know the exact names...

Take screen shots from each window and send them to me jpv1961@(removethis)hotmail.com. I appreciate if you can do that. German language

is not problem.

Now tested and problem went upside down...now pc is going to standby mode after recording but not start automatically. I'll switch back to previous.

Strange, my PC is waking up without any problems for scheduled recordings (but i'm using the recording service for that).

Oh hell...I must try take RS again into use. Last time I got tired to get it work.Problem was that I couldn't watch tv when

RS was on.And you can be sure that I tried everything, read many web pages of instructions with no help...

Maybe latest version works better now.

Am I stupid or not, I just noticed that I changed HTPC name and I didn't remember change it to Scheduler program and Task Scheduler...(banging had to the floor here)..let's see if my set work now.

Well..back to previous situation....pc wakes up from sleep and start recording but does not go to sleep mode after recording. Changing power setup as Freeze instructed turns sleep thing opposite ie. pc does not wake up from sleep but stops recording and puts pc to sleep after recording but I have to let pc running before recording. So, I rather let pc wake up from sleep automatically and I put pc to sleep myself in the morning.

Still don't have time to play around with recording service.

pc does not wake up from sleep but stops recording and puts pc to sleep after recording but I have to let pc running before recording.

If you don't use the RS, the "DVB Task Scheduler" is necessary or an other solution like EventGhost.

Regards

Prinz

So, during the weekend I had time to play around htpc and I managed to get RS installed and it WORKS OK!!! :bounce:

Recording, automatic EPG search, sleep mode etc are working just fine.

Edited by JPV1961

Only problem with disabled away mode:

If your PC is recording and you accidentially put it into standby mode, the recording will be lost.

You're right...hope we can get resolution to that.

You're right...hope we can get resolution to that.

No, that would be very hard cuz Microsoft designed it that way since Vista and higher. These OS:es are made for laptops and batterypowersaving. Blocking Standby/Hibernation could result in loss of unsaved data when battery dies. If you wanna block S/H Windows XP would be the OS to go for.

But without disabled away mode the recording service DOES block standby.

The solution would be doing so when recording, but not when only sending data to the viewer.

Well, as far as I know DVBViewer is not developed for Away Mode use. That would require special adaptations according to MS.

"Away Mode should not be used to replace correct implementation and support of Sleep and other low-power system turned off states. System designers and software developers should plan to design and test to ensure that their media applications allow the use of system sleep with unattended operation."

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/powermgmt/awaymode.mspx

• Add: If the PC goes into the away mode the graph of the main playback is shutdown and the Viewer tells the system it can go to sleep, if wants needs to.
  • Add: The DVBViewer sets now the away mode when it is recording.
  • Change: Several changes to make the away mode work if the DVBViewer and the recording service are on the same PC. The hibernate and Shutdown action in the DVBViewer are mapped to the Standby action if the recording service is recording. This puts the PC into the away mode. (Needs the current version of the recording service)

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/35263-DVBViewer-421/

Away Mode enables the Windows Vista PC to appear off to the user, when the system is actually operational and processing background media tasks such as recording television content or streaming media to other devices.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/powermgmt/awaymode.mspx

The DVBViewer should only use the it during recording's.

And the Recording Service during recording's and during streaming (so if you disable the playback in all clients before trying to enter standby it should work). An if select it in the options the recording service will as well by upnp streaming and/or accessing the web page (until 1.6.8 API calls are counted as web page usage).

And the Recording Service during recording's and during streaming (so if you disable the playback in all clients first it should not be blocked).

That's just the point. Why does it do this? It makes sense for a server/client-setup with different pcs, but why local?

There is no special treatment for local clients. And I think it is not the easiest thing to integrate (if you try to cover the most us cases).

But if DVBViewer is ruing all the time you can use the standby command in the DVBViewer it will stop the connection first and than go to standby.

Played around already with EventGhost for stopping the graph before standby, but this was not optimal because i couldn't use the standby hardware button on my keyboard anymore and it took significantly longer to enter standby and also retune the channel after waking up, and sometimes it still went into away mode instead standby, maybe to short delay after stopping graph...

I don't understand why it should be so difficult just to integrate an option to ignore either local clients or simply everything except active recordings by the RS itself, just as the already exisiting checkboxes for webserver and UPnP AV Server...

WTF...now when I get recordings working ok sleep mode started getting me a headache...now htpc is waking up from sleep mode by itself every day 13:35...aaarrggghhhh!!!!! :wtf2::angry::iiam:

Yes and no. Event viewer should tell it but there are cases where it does not.I probably got my problem solved using autostart program. Is showed couple of wierd shceduled tasks which I disabled.Yesterday htpc didn't start up by itself so I guess that's it..problem solved.

Right...seem so that there's still some ghost event that start pc on working days (didn't start up yesterday,sunday) cause today it happend again...13.38 wake up and after 10-20 minutes it shut down by itself??? :thumbsdown:

Windows Automatic Update?

:bye:

Disabled long time ago...don't ask why.I*ll save today's event log and check if there are similarities with yesterdays during that time.