Recording Service Webinterface "PlayTo" function

DisTreSs

Hi,

I wanted to make the following suggestion for the WebIF of the recordingservice, since I think it would be a great addition to the software that lots of people would appreciate:

At this point in time I know it is already possible to either stream to VLC/WMP through the webinterface on the device that is viewing the Webinterface.

What I would suggest is to also incorporate a "PlayTo" functionality in the WebIF to enable streaming to another UPnP/DLNA device than the one the WebIF is being viewed in.

I know I've alluded to something similar in the past, but I was then still talking about a dedicated DMC application, instead of simply integrating it into the WebIF which would be an easier option I think.

The reason for asking such a feature is that

- the browsing features on the current DLNA devices are simply too slow and clumsy

- to select a new channel, you have to exit the stream you are currently viewing, browse for a new channel and then re-establish a new stream. I would much prefer having a channel streaming on my DLNA device, being able to calmly browse for another channel via the WebIF and only sending a new stream to the DLNA device when I found one to my liking via the EPG. This would reduce the time my DLNA device is not displaying a picture to a minimum.

- you would be able to preview the new stream on the device you are viewing the WebIF before sending it on to the DLNA device (provided more than one tuner is used)

- this way of working would bring DVBViewer the closest you can get to the television experience as we've known it up till now by using an integrated tuner which would make it quite unique.

- you would not be limited to where you send which stream. With multiple tuners and multiple DLNA devices, you would be able to send streams where you like from one or multiple WebIF control points. The sky is the limit as they say! :D

Well actually not the sky but rather bandwidth, DLNA devices and server limitations come into play ;)

As far as my german goes, I think the following topics also hint at the same type of functionality which makes me think I'm far from alone in this matter ;)

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/42390-livetv-steuerung-uber-browser/

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/43625-recordingservice-per-url-umschalten/

Btw, one of the posts also indicates that it would be better if you do not always have to set the stream-type when hitting play from the WebIF. I wholeheartedly agree with that B)

not possible. You would need a Interface in each DLNA device that allows being told what stream to request. You can not "push" a stream to a DLNA device. The Devices has to "request" "pull" it. If there are interfaces in the DLNA devices that allow something like that, then it can be programmed. But then it would be different for each device. The DLNA device makers would not be interested in somehing like this because he DLNA device's OSD is meant to be used.

not possible. You would need a Interface in each DLNA device that allows being told what stream to request. You can not "push" a stream to a DLNA device. The Devices has to "request" "pull" it. If there are interfaces in the DLNA devices that allow something like that, then it can be programmed. But then it would be different for each device. The DLNA device makers would not be interested in somehing like this because he DLNA device's OSD is meant to be used.

I'm sorry to disagree, but a push feature does exist within the DLNA spec, if not the "PlayTo" function embedded in Windows 7/WMP12 would not work.

I'm quite easily capable of pushing a video or audio file or even a picture to be played back on my DLNA device (Samsung PlasmaTV 50C7700).

If it is possible to do this, then I fail to see why it would not be possible with a live stream.

The spec comprises DMR (renderers)/ DMP (player), DMS (server) and DMC (controller) devices.

The WebIF could be made to function as a DMC in this case where the recording service is the DMS...

http://www.dlna.org/digital_living/product_types/

Edited by DisTreSs

I tried long time ago with XMBC, the only UPnP Renderer software that i know, and it was working!

You can use PlugPlayer for iPhone to do that.

Yes but I would like to see this functionality integrated into the WebIF so everyone could benefit from this feature regardless of platform, not just iPhone users! Anyone with a browser, any browser for that matter, would be able to use this.

I don't have an iPhone, I don't want an iPhone and will never (even if hell freezes over!) buy an iPhone or iWhatever just for the sake of being able to remote control something.

It seems like since that crappy piece of hardware (personal bias, I know lots of people will think differently) got released and half the world jumped on it without actually knowing why, everything gets centered around that thing. *end rant* ;)

Furthermore, I don't want to assemble a new HTPC to run XMBC on when my TV is already perfectly equipped with DLNA functionality. The "PlayTo" function for existing media works perfectly on it, the TV is also able to browse and play a live TV stream from the recording service perfectly, now I just want to combine those 2 great features (PlayTo and LiveTV stream) via the WebIF.

• 1 year later...