why no option for pay with Crdit card (visa) for dvbviewer

AjeeB

I think AjeeB doesn't want to use Paypal at all. I don't like it either and have used it only twice. Ebay pretty much forces you to accept paypal when you want to sell things. I immediately deleted my paypal account afterwards.

yes, I don't want use any money transfer ! my card is valid worldwide ! and it's only 15 euro

I just order parts via OWC (macsales)... and it's confirmed

Best regards

Edited by AjeeB

Why pay with paypal or credit card?

There is someting like direct bank transfer , not so expoensive within eurozone but outside the eurozone it can be expensive alone to transfer the money.

There is also something like western union :-)

No really: what have you guy's against Paypal?

I know the history of paypal, and the risks.

But about risks: ANY online banking is a risk.

What is the risk? The computer user and NOBODY else.

Digikey hardware devices are more fraude resistant, external smartcard devices also.

But if pishing is the case, none of these devices are secure.

And recent trojan horses are experts in collecting data and difficult to remove.

A major problem is that Users choose very weak password in the first place.

They sometimes do click on an e-mail attachment from mails received from an unknown source.

Or, they visit risky sites (######, warez).

An example:

Infected laptop.

How?

Someone downloaded illegal music from Limewire.

MP3 format. an MP3 contains a header where some additional info can be stored but this header was replaced by a simple loader. This loader load's trojan that downloads 2 trojan horses.

Stupid enough, the user scanned his identity card (both sides) and sis card (both sides) stored as pdf on the computer. I got this laptop cause it could not start. the laptop started sure, short login screen, then BSOD,

funny enough the harddisk runs further and if timed, windows loads.

No need to say that this was a very risky situation.

Conclusion: do not think that a virus etc. is loaded alone , these times are gone.

Most infections load several virus alike applications.

The tiny loader apps can fit in many data files that contain headers.

oh and, as soon when a trojan horse can run, don't trust your anti-virus, firewall.

Still too many people log in with administrator rights, very risky.

But unfortunately , even restricted rights are not as safe as we might expect to be.

Security is a matter of the computer user in the first place .

still, a Bank is more reliable and trustworthy than some private corporation like paypal.

Only when you go to the bank, and pay there.

Not full proof tho, there are examples where card readers where comprimized so that nasty people still got their hands on card information.

The only good solution is: keep your eyes open, don't accept e-mail attachments , even from the people you know, don't trust e-mail messages that promise 1 USD or more, avoid certain websites, use restricted rights on the computer, use sandbox technology on your computer etc etc... as long as You know what you are doing, then the risk of being compromised is low, count's for paypal too and even paying with credit card via HTTPS protocol. Be aware that a apple MAC and any linux distro is better related to virus and spyware.

The fact is: most computer users have no idea if their system is infected, it starts as a funny acting computer, find sometimes wrong information to solve the problem on certain websites and forums and at a given time, computer does not respond = mouse and keyboard and usual leads to reformat and re-install but oh too late ,IP known and unfortunatly, internet providers do not change IP frequently.

So there you have windows re-installed from scratch while a good trojan horse can survive a slow format of the harddrive.

So I would say, as soon when your computer is acting funny, not a good system to do online banking/paying online.

And always remind it: the problem sits always between keyboard and chair.

Second fact: when a big company has computer problems, this reaches the news.

but all those home PC users and that are alot looking at these forums that deal with spyware etc detection/removal will never reach the news.

Most simple spyware = suddenly more spam mails.

Means also more pishing attempts, more fraud attempts so higher risk that somewhere a computer user is clicking on on the wrong link / button.

A typical computer user knows how to use applications, administrating windows or something like a firewall is something else.

The risk is not always security related.

I still have a harddisk from a laptop that has been dropped from approx 1,5m height.

It came flat on the floor so not much external damage but they lost data cause even when a laptop is off, harddisks have their limits.

Third factor: people still take not enough backups and sometimes backup the wrong data.

Attachement: defective harddrives.The big ones in platic cover can still be used (with less capacity)

The small drive is from the laptop and need Kroll's software to retrieve as much data as possible.

The drive is EOL so not recoverable as the others to use again with less capacity.

Edited by Benarty

A company avoids bad comment sure in these days while customers compalin very fast somewhere on a forum.

Paypal has no fixed status, it's no bank in the US but has a bank status in the EU.

(Different rules) Paypal is a US company so has to follow US law's just the same for Intel, think that Intel has no political influence?

Political instrument? Any company within the US can be political infuenced.

Is that the fault of the company? No, it's the fault of the US law.

Paypal has no political problems within the EU and even the political influence has no negative actions towards normal paypal users.

And if You think that paypal is a problem, think that online banking is safe? Wrong. There are enough examples but they don't reach the papers or any media usual. It's bad advertising for the bank.

I wrote a message to ING in 2004 that online banking was not safe.

I got a funny message back with the conclusion, it was safe.

almost 5 years later, they mention that pishing is a problem.

Again, I send them pishing is not the major problem but trojans are.

bah louzy reply again.

So you think that paypal is the problem?

The only real problem sits between Keyboard and Chair.

As usual, as soon when humans have to control something, if it fails it's usual the human fault.

Even mechanical failures.

Edited by Benarty

again: I am not afraid that someone might intercept the connection between me and playpal/bank or use a trojan or keylogger etc. on my PC. I know that this is possible. But even if it is not and the connection is perfectly safe I do NOT want to trust paypal itself and give them the control over MY money.

A consumer PC is far more easy to hack then the mainframe of in this case paypal Inc.

If they hack paypal= criminal act and soon worldwide investigation.

If they hack your computer, also a criminal act but extremely low risk for the hacker.

So if a hacker hacks 10 computers and draws out 100 euro on each computer = 1000 euro.

that's what we would call lucrative business.

And funny enough, there are people who still don't read the their bank account details good enough.

So hacking more computers and draw less euro works even better.

And once a hacker did find your computer and you did buy a new one, fresh windows etc..they can find you easy.

Most computer users have even no idea when a trojan is working , even virus scanners do not detect latest trojans.

• 2 weeks later...

You should get all instructions a few days after the payment via e-mail.

Be sure to enter a Valid E-mail addres.

The mail contains the code to login on the members section, there you can download DVBViewer.

The mail has also a license key that's needed to run DVBveiwer.